Ruder Finn Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

2.8

Executive Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ruder Finn.

Interview

Received notification via email that I had made it to the second round about 1 - 1.5 months after the application deadline. Was asked a month later to come into the office for an interview. I interviewed with an SAE, AS and VP on two different accounts (had 2 interviews in the span of a week) and was informed a day after my second interview that I had been hired. Overall, it was a very straightforward interview--most questions centered around my past experience and why I was interested in PR. The interview was encouraged to be conversational.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't that unexpected but I was asked why I was interested in healthcare which can be tricky to answer if you haven't had much experience in the field--for those who are interviewing in this practice, definitely have a good answer prepared.   Answer Question

Executive Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy application that needed references. Surprisingly, my application materials were never mentioned again in the interview. There was a long period of waiting between the interview and the actual offer. At one point, I figured I hadn't gotten the job and was prepared to move on. I was sold on the company after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Very pleasant interview. Seemed like they had their mind made up even before the interview. I think they look at experience, but I think "fit," is a bigger consideration for them, since everything that you do there is teachable. They asked standard interview questions: why RF, your previous experience, etc. The entire thing lasted about 1 hour and that's because I talked most of the time. You interview with the entire team.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I had three days of interviews with two people each day then a phone interview then reference checks and then they submitted the offer to me and I had questions and accepted

Interview Questions

• depth of my therapeutic category experience medical meeting experience   Answer Question

Executive Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Submitted full application via mail, was contacted a few weeks after for an in-person interview. Met with HR and 3 teams in the NY office for short (20 min or so) interviews. Heard back a few weeks later via phone call.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Ruder Finn (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2007.

Interview

Considering what an unsatisfying - personally, professionally and financially - place Ruder Finn turned out to be, their interview process was a little over the top. I had in-person interviews with 5 people across the two Ruder Finn West offices (SF and LA), ranging from the head of RF West to an assistant account executive, and additional 2-3 phone interviews with mid-level management (mostly AS / SAS level employees). Everyone was great during the interviews - even if some of those very people left within a couple of weeks after I joined - and management made sure to ask questions about what I envisioned my ideal position to be or what I wanted to learn/gain from it. Needless to say, I was thrilled during the process and thought I found a perfect place to further develop my career. Unfortunately, there was no follow-up to any of the goals I expressed at any point in the employment. From the initial communication re: my resume to the offer, the process took 47 days, which is in part explained by the lack of follow-up by any hiring partners to the HR person's first email. Once started, the interview process went relatively smoothly and lasted around 10-14 days.

Interview Questions

• The usual: about team work, most challenging projects, best coverage, interesting campaigns...   Answer Question

Negotiation

There are a lot of skilled negotiators at RF, whose main goal is to ensure your salary is a minimal expenditure to the company. Right after I expressed my range (which was in line with AE salaries in both SF and LA at that time), I was told by the head of RF West that it was way above the average and I wasn't going to get that. When I received the offer, I did receive the low end of that range and I was able to get a couple k more during the negotiation phase, so I was very pleased at the time. However, you have to make sure to do that as Ruder Finn salaries are typically below average and their raises (when factoring in promotions) turn out to be only around 10-12%, so you'll end up below the industry average anyway. The longer you stay there, the more pronounced that gap will be. Also, do not expect them to honor any special perks you might have negotiated during your interview. I heard of a couple of instances where employees' contracts clearly specified potential for promotion/raise after 6 months of employment, but the employees had to fight to receive promotions and were told that the company policy maintains that raises are only available once a year. Clearly, a "policy" that was not at all mentioned during the interview or negotiation process.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ruder Finn (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in April 2015.

Interview

It was very brief and the interviewer was rather impatient. I was asked several basic interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary, but I wasn't given sufficient time to answer them before I was interrupted and asked to move on to the next question. It was a phone interview and I believed it lasted less than 10 minutes. I was asked to drop them an e-mail on why I can bring to the business if I was hired, but did not receive a response after.

N/A Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ruder Finn in January 2009.

Interview

They put you through the ringer. You'll meet with the senior managers, then the account supervisor, then the account manager and everyone in between. The people who interview you seem ill prepared for the interview as if you were just sprung on them by the senior managers. You'll feel like a dime-a-dozen interviewee as if they have people in and out all the time. Then you'll wait weeks and weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Opportunity to negotiate limited.