Rue La La

Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.8

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rue La La in October 2014.

I was introduced to the company via an employee referral about 3 weeks ago and received feedback yesterday. I spoke to the internal recruiter within a few days and the hiring manager a few days after that. Within two weeks of the initial contact, I had a face-to-face interview in Boston.

It was a long day, but I met with six technical people and the recruiter twice - at the beginning and the end of the interview. Each technical interview had a stated goal, whether vetting me on Linux commands, DevOps methodology or Puppet syntax. The workplace was an attractive exposed brick warehouse converted to office space, and the location a short walk from South Station.

I sensed that the role was more "code-centric" than my own experience, so while I felt it was a positive experience, I had a feeling that I hadn't hit a home run. Six days later, the recruiter contacted me with detailed feedback, which was very much appreciated.

I may not have accepted the role if offered, but Rue did everything right during the process.

Interview Questions
    • Two different interviewers gave me a problem that involved coming up with some object-oriented code (or, in my case, pseudo-code), and I clearly struggled. Both helped me out along the way, and ultimately I was able to come up with a solution, but it was obvious that code was not my forte.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rue La La.

I was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks after I applied for the position. I first spoke to the HR recruiter on the phone. She told me the details of the job, the pay & other company information. She asked me a few questions about my resume. After that, I had an interview at the office with three of the buyers I would be working for. They asked me basic questions about my past experiences, my interests and how extensive my knowledge was about Excel. They contacted me soon after to offer me the job.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rue La La.

Was contacted by HR. Did a phone interview and an in-person interview in New York before they flew me out to Boston for a round of interviews with a panel.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was that I was told by one of the interviewers that his job was to rein in the spending at the company and it was his intention to make sure I was not hired.   View Answer

Contract Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rue La La in June 2014.

I applied through their career page and received an email to schedule a phone interview the next day. The recruiter I spoke with was very nice and the conversation was only 15 minutes long. She asked about my past work experience, why Rue La La, and what I did to keep myself organized. By the end of the interview, she told me to look out for an email to schedule a time to come in the office. I received that email the same day as my phone interview.

The in-person interview was 2 hours long (longest interview I've ever experienced), but it was pretty painless. When I first came in, the recruiter I was working with took me on a tour of the office (very cool office, by the way). Then I met with three different people who I would be working closely with if I were to get the job. You meet with each person separately for about 30 minutes, and it's mostly them talking at you and explaining the job in more detail. Everything was mostly a conversation, no trick questions or anything. My advice is to come in with a lot of different questions so you aren't asking each person the same thing.

I received a response in a week. No offer, but the recruiter was very kind and encouraged me to look at other open positions and let her know if anything caught my eye. Overall, it was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Just make sure you can pull examples from your past work experience that relate to the job you're applying for. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Production- Process Improvement Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rue La La in March 2014.

First round phone interview. Asked basic screening questions and why I was interested in the company, how i heard about the position etc.

Merchandise Programming Manager Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter, who was my point of contact throughout the entire process. Initial phone interview to point of hire took a month and a half and included two rounds of interviews. The first round was more formal, with four members of the teams I would be working closely with. These were standard interviews but felt more like conversations rather than a quiz. This part of the process was insightful because as much as they learned about me, I also learned a great deal more about the position and the company. After about 2-3 weeks I was called in for a second interview. The waiting time in between definitely caused anxiety but the company had been upfront with telling me it would be some time because they were interviewing other candidates. I was extremely nervous going into the second interview, but afterward was genuinely appreciative of the fact that I had the second interview. It was much more informal and was more for my benefit to make sure I felt like I would be a good fit with the company. It included a q&a that I was able to conduct on my future boss and also lunch with a current employee (who also happened to be a former boss from a previous company). After the second interview, it took about a week to hear back with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview was conversation based so I never felt like I was put on the spot with a question I couldn't answer. Most questions were about the specific skills I had learned throughout my career and asked to back up with examples.   Answer Question

Event Production Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Rue La La.

Took 5 weeks with 5 interviews to get hired. Lengthy and confusing process.

2-3 days, not much budge room on salary

Contract Event Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rue La La.

Met with three different employees. Very brief and painless interview.

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Rue La La.

Initial interview contact was through a internal recommendation interview schedule was about 3.5 hours. Met with dev lead, qa lead, upper tech manager, and project manager. Came back for a second round for two people that were out before. Met with HR and a CTO.

Interview Questions
    • The question in this case were about working with creative types which the job at the time was going to involve. The technical interviews can get technical especially if you are being hire to work on a specific technology. Also, look out for brain teasers, the answer is secondary, they want to see your process and deductive process.   Answer Question

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rue La La in June 2012.

Did a phone interview with the internal recruiter and was set up for a round of in person interviews when they literally cancelled at the last minute and basically blew me off with no explanation

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview was conducted by a recruiter who didn't seem to understand the position   Answer Question