Rural King Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

1.8

Loader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rural King (Bloomington, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

I was in the actual store filling out an application when the Co-Manager approached me. He asked if I needed a job, and naturally I said that I did. He stated that he needed a position filled immediately (loader) and that I should come back in at 2:00 later that day for an interview. He stated that a loader was to unload freight, clean bathrooms, get trash, push carts, assists customers, and do any other odd jobs that may be needed. I came back in for my interview later that day where I was greeted by the same Co-Manger from earlier that morning. I was taken into an office where I was asked a few questions, given a drug test (urinal), and told them that I was able to start the next day. After my drug test results came back a few minutes later I was offered the position and given a 45 hour first schedule starting the very next day!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Rural King?   1 Answer

ECommerce Specialist - Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mattoon, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rural King (Mattoon, IL).

Interview

Applied online. Contacted through LinkedIn to have a phone interview. Phone interview was mainly chit chatting about previous experience. I was sent an email to complete 2 assessment tests. A week later I was called to come in for a 1-on-1 interview with the VP of eCommerce. Drove an hour to corporate. Interview went well and walked me through the operations. Mostly asked about my previous experience once again. Explained they didn't really want to expand to other marketplaces but really just wanted someone to list items on eBay like a robot. 75,000 items and they do less than 10 million a year. My previous company I generated 6 million a year with 1000 items.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for as far as compensation. I do not like talking compensation on the first interview. I said no less than $15/hr plus commission. He declined and said he can't offer that.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rural King in June 2014.

Interview

interview very informal and laid back. Most questions are pertaining to basic merchandising / retail processes and how you handle employees. I was offered the job. I then took a drug screen in the same building, they completed my background check. Interview-easy 1:1 Testing-Skills Review,Drug Test Background Check

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rural King.

Interview

was done ever efficiently

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Stockman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huber Heights, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rural King (Huber Heights, OH) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied in person by picking up an application, I called back once or twice to request an interview and thank them for taking my application. I got a call back within a few days, and when I interviewed I was hired on the spot, I had to bring in my "I9" information on my first day of work(which was a full day of work). The interview was very short, basic questions, looking over my application, and past work experience.

Interview Questions

• In general there are a lot of questions you aren't going to have a good answer or even an answer at all within the first few weeks/months of working with Rural King.(lack of training)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, I suppose that was my fault for assuming a minimum wage, and needing a job. I was interviewed very quickly, and hired very quickly.(within minutes of showing up for the interview). I was expecting a more lengthy interview process so I didn't prepare for the first interview thinking I would be screened then asked for a second interview.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Rural King (Wentzville, MO).

Interview

Easy interview with the basic feel you out questions, then you will be told how they are family. If they like what you say and if they think you will not realize what is going on they will hire you. It is a quick eyeball judgement on the spot interview.

Interview Questions

• Will you report an employee for stealing. They do not trust anybody and they have a $1000.00 bounty on employees who turn in other employees for stealing any thing!!!   1 Answer

Negotiation

After I had taken the offer. I had a funny feeling I might have made the wrong choice!

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Rural King.

Interview

interviews are very informal and laid back. Most questions are pertaining to basic merchandising / retail processes and how you handle employees. There is no real structured interview that they use and majority of the store managers will ask you simple questions leaving more in depth questions to a regional. Regionals will usually re ask the questions the store manager ask along with where do you see yourself in a few years, what do you want out of the company, previous experience. They almost always require assistants to now be relocatable which is discussed in the interview but will not usually be able to answer questions such as how much they will pay you or pay you to move which never covers your full moving expenses.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question they ask you is what is the cheapest salary you will accept to work for them while they promise BIG bonuses which are never anywhere near what they promise you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a constant back and forth discussion and very slow process.

Lead Cashiere Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rural King (Bloomington, IN) in February 2013.

Interview

They called me on a Tuesday morning about 7:30 asked if I could come in about 9:30 for an interview. I told them I would be there. Had first interview with an Assistant Manager, then my second with the store manager. I was offered the job. I then took a drug screen in the same building, they completed my background check. When that was finished, I started work and ended up working six hours that day .

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very simple, entry level employees start out at a little over minumum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peru, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rural King (Peru, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

Very easy, basic, strange questions, interview in a "closet" extremely busy, management was constantly called on the walker talkies during interview and employees knock on the door. Interviewer was very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? Are you willing to transfer? Tell me about your management style!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jasper, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rural King (Jasper, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

My store manager had hinted at me for some time that he thought I might make for a strong assistant manager, if I was interested. After a week or so of deliberation, I agreed that I would interview with both him and our regional manager, separately. The interview with my store manager was quite brief. He asked me about my background, education, future goals, etc. He then suggested that when I interview with the regional manager, I present a cover letter and resume, and be fully prepared to talk about what I could bring to the company through this promotion. I prepared my documents and interviewed successfully with our regional leader, though in all honesty she was hesitant, at least on the surface, to hire me because my degree is entirely unrelated to the fields of retail or agriculture. Everything I know about those two fields I have learned simply by listening to customers, working with the products, and putting in lots of time with as much patience as I could muster. In the end, she decided to offer the job to me, and I accepted it. Immediately, I was sent out on the road to help remodel and set up a number of stores to aid in the company's insatiable expansion in the Midwest.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

In retrospect, I really was unable to negotiate at all. I was told that I would enter at a specific rate, since I possessed a 4-year degree, and that after 16 weeks I would receive a $2,000 bump in pay. I came to find out that the specific amount was the default amount given to all entry-level prospects for this position, but that others had been and would be hired in at a higher salary based on their previous experience.