Russell Reynolds Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.5

Russell Reynolds Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds.

Interview

Went through an initial phone screen and then six in person interviews and four additional phone/video interviews. There was an extensive reference check as well. Very thorough process, probably a bit too much.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

College connection. Brief phone call that was very casual and mostly telling me about the program. Guy was very friendly and informative. No difficult or technical questions. Ended up being a few days late as all the offers were given out the next couple days before my next call.

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds.

Interview

A recruiter at Russell Reynolds contacted me "based on your credentials, I guess." Polite people, well orchestrated in parts but out of sync in others. I kept getting asked the same question over and over in some cases by the same person who said twice during the first interview, "I hope we stay in touch if it doesn't work out." The fact it was said twice and there was no preface such as "I hope it works out but in case it doesn't I hope we stay in touch" should have been a red flag. Also the repetitive questions about "how do you feel about travel" rather than substantive questions about how I would do the work I would be brought in to do was strange given the level of the job in the hierarchy. I was given several online psychological tests the results of which I was told as if the man who read them to me were reading tea leaves or an astrology chart. I know I am very smart. All he could say was "you're very smart, great critical thinking." Well, what was the answer to question 32? "We can't see responses to particular questions, we get a report from the test publisher." Or, you have a scientific mind and also a creative one. Or there are no career derailers.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel about travel?   1 Answer

Research Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds.

Interview

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process and getting to know both consultants and researchers at RRA. Based on previous reviews, the number of interviews that I underwent seemed lower than average. By the time I reached an offer with the firm I had met with 6 consultants and 3 researchers (one of which involved a Skype call). Given my background in retained search, most of the interviews were very cordial and focused around culture fit rather than industry knowledge. They asked for references prior to making an offer, but given that I was employed at the time, RRA was very understanding about conducting senior references only after I had resigned. The offer was competitive and there was no need to negotiate. A very positive experience altogether.

Interview Questions

• Tell us why we should pick you over others in your peers group? What makes you unique.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They asked me about my current compensation and what my expectations were. They came back with an offer slightly higher than I had anticipated.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds.

Interview

Fit and culture test. Typical behavioral interviews. Met 20 people some in person and some via Skype. Exploratory became more formal as time went on. Took 4 months from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy. Figure who has signing authority and request.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Several rounds of in person, phone and video interviews. Met with those would I would be working with directly as well as other leaders in the group for them to gauge my personality and fit. Several key personel were not available on interview days requiring frequent make up stops and so on.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to to work here? Tell me how you would resolve X situation   Answer Question

Legnthy process showed a number of organizational challenges that plauge the firm. Frim has a difficult time working "as one". Went into many interviews where the staff did not know who I was, why they were speaking to me, or what position I was applying for.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, scheduling an interview was quick and painless. Interviewer was polite, and extremely candid. Never in my life has an interviewer opened with "Boy is this a hard place to work!" - repeated at least twice. Based on her fleshed-out description of the job and environment, that assessment would seem to be spot on. In the end, a very positive interview experience, but not a fit for me.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took approximately 3 weeks. I had an initial phone interview, then several rounds of in-person interviews before a final skype interview, closely followed by an offer! It's a lengthy process, but everyone is friendly and informative. No particularly difficult questions. Everyone asked similar questions, looking for information on your background and why you would be a good fit. The interviews are more conversational than inquisitive.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds.

Interview

Multiple round of interviews. 8-20 interviews per canidate. Usually over several months. Includes psychometric testing - strangely, a different test than the one the firm offers to clients (why?).

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Russell Reynolds (New York, NY).

Interview

very friendly interviews with HR firstly on the phone and the in person and Knowledge Management. Mostly questions about myself and University and previous internships. Got feedback really quickly and then second round interviews with consultants and head of research. good and friendly atmosphere. and again really good and quick feedback on the interviews. they talked a lot about what the intership would be like and what would be the main tasks and responsibilities and additional opportunities in the company after the internship as a knowledge analyst.