Ryan Homes Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Updated Jun 24, 2014

3.3

Sales Assistant Interview

Very polite and helpful through the entire process. After submitting my application online I was contacted via email by an HR rep for an initial phone interview (about 15-20 minutes long), and then referred to an online test battery consisting of personality/behavior questions (~300), logical reasoning (~20) and numerical reasoning (~20). I was then invited to an office in the same region, though not the exact same location, as the opening (southern MD for a DC posting). The in-person interview consisted of three 45-minute interviews with three different individuals from the site, all involved in Sales in some capacity.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a customer said no. What did you do? What was the final outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ryan Homes in April 2011.

I was referred by another employee and the process started with an Initial phone screen. That was followed up with a personality test online. I came in the following week for an in-person panel interview with 3 different managers. Mainly asked behavioral questions, made sure I was OK with working on the weekends, asked about 100% commission.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to do sales demo of an item I had with me (i.e purse) or with something in the room.   Answer Question
    Just graduating from college I did not negotiate, but I would recommend negotiating some or asking for moving expenses.

Sales and Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ryan Homes.

I met with an manager first through referral and they encouraged me to apply. I sent my resume. Then there was a phone interview which was pretty intense. Then I had a panel interview where everyone asked a bunch of questions. Then I had to apply on line and fill out an IQ type test with math and language questions. It had SAT type questions. "This word is to that word, as this word is to ________" Then they did a full background check. I received a call from that I was hired and they were great at working with me on my hire date.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to sell my favorite thing to them in a role play situation. They asked me questions like, "if you had an extra $10,000 what would you do with it and why?" "Tell us about a time when you had to make an executive decision without getting approval from you supervisor"   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ryan Homes in January 2012.

Applied online to their opening of a Sales and Marketing Representative. Was contacted by someone in HR to do a phone interview. Then I was asked to take an online test. I was then invited to an in-person panel interview with the division representatives at one of their communities in Florida. I was not chosen in the panel interview to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • For me, it was why my sales background was not stronger.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ryan Homes.

I met a sales manager at a career fair, he was not overly friendly but I was called for a phone interview. The interview questions all revolved around awards received and sales awards. I then took an behavioral test. I have taken many aptitude and personality tests and this was HORRIBLE! I have scored well on these tests in the past but the test they give is bizarre and poorly worded. It is also time consuming along with the online application.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Ryan Homes in March 2014.

One of the more time consuming, 6 hours min. to get through phone call #2. Click on "apply" and the resume and cover letter just start you down the rabbit hole. Yes, then you need to redundantly put all that info into their form. Over 45... don't bother.

Interview Questions
    • "So, did HR explain what the job is?" (phone interview with field ops person)   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Ryan Homes in March 2010.

lengthy and annoying

na

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Ryan Homes in December 2013.

A very long Interview Process taking around three months. It was not bad at first but after waiting to hear back that you have been accepted for an additional interview is the equivalent of teasing you with a treat while keeping you at an arms length. Very anti military as they do not seem to value our choices to defend this country.

Interview Questions
    • a meeting with the second hiring manager.....walks in states his name then proceeds with, "So tell me seeing that your in the Army, when you go away for your two weeks a year your using your vacation time correct?" Afterwards, "Do you have any questions for me?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sicklerville, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sicklerville, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ryan Homes.

Multiple interviews

Interview Questions
    • How much did you make as an average over your past 3-5 years in real estate?   View Answer

Sales & Marketing Representative In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ryan Homes in December 2013.

Just like all the other interview reviews you will see on here, Ryan's process usually starts with a phone interview with an HR person or a headhunter. Unfortunately, the headhunters have no idea about Ryan Homes' process and who they're willing to hire. For me and my friend (we both used to work for Ryland Homes and were trained there), we knew the type of person Ryan Homes hires and it's not us. Both of us have experience and that is not what Ryan wants. They want someone fresh out of college (preferably "All-American"--visit a NoVa Ryan community to see what that looks like) that they can train as they wish. Unfortunately, this wastes a lot of people's time. After the phone interview, you do the online test and then you'll move on to the face to face interview with 3 or more managers. My friend didn't get to the face to face part and she was actually glad, because it just would have been a waste of time for her. When she called to inquire about her application, the HR woman said, "Oh, you're still interested in the position?" She knew that meant they weren't intending to move forward with her. I, on the other hand, went through the entire process before I was told no. Both my friend and I kept asking: "are you sure they want someone with experience?" Again, unfortunately, the company won't tell you the truth and the headhunters just don't know any better.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Worked for Ryan Homes? Contribute to the Community!