Ryan, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.7

Consultant, Sales and Use Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Dallas, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

There is a personality test and phone inteview followed by an interview with a manager, consultant, and then a principal. I though the interview process was very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked related to specific examples of situations where I worked in a team environment and how I dealt with other team members.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ryan, LLC in October 2010.

Interview

On-campus interview and then attend office visit. Interviewed with four people in total.

Consultant, Sales and Use Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Houston, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

Initial conversation with a manager in HR. Interviews for interns led by consultants for initial round and then senior management for office visit. Similar to a super day except not nearly as exhaustive.

Interview Questions

• No business case, not really a technical interview either. There is a fairly simple quiz to test basic math and thought process. Mostly fit above all else.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2010.

Interview

It was pretty extensive, but all parts went very smoothly. Nice to see they don't just hire anybody.

Interview Questions

• The toughest questions always involves identifying a mistake or regret in your professional life,   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2010.

Interview

The Hiring and Interview Process is a bit complex and can take several months so please have patience, it's worth the wait.

Personality/Skill Test: Ryan uses a customized test to gauge the likelihood of an applicants success within the Firm. No doubt many companies use similar tests. By "customized" I mean that Ryan has collected thousands of these test from employees over the years. With so many on file, Ryan is able to build a model profile of the ideal Ryan employee. The intent is to maximize return on investment by minimizing turn-over and employing individuals who are likely to produce results.

Interviews: Typically the interview process involves 3 conversations. First, with recruiter assigned to the geographic location for the position you are applying or the practice area. The recruiter will typically be the one who also gives the official offer when the time comes. Second, an interview with the team that you will be working with. Often over lunch. This gives the whole team a chance to get to know you and see how you fit within their group dynamic. Third, an interview with the Principal/Partner that your team reports to.

This may be modified slightly if you are introduced to the Firm as a referral. Please feel free to reach out to Ryan employees. Don't be shy about your interest to work for Ryan. But be patient.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not that difficult or unexpected, there were two that I had to think about for a moment:
      1. What position do you think you deserve to start at? Asked during the initial interview with the recruiter.
      2. There's a mall we can eat at or a Cheesecake Factory, what would you prefer? Asked during the Team interview. My first inclination was to say the mall recognizing that they were paying and I didn't want to incur a large bill, but I chose the Cheesecake Factory thinking about the importance of client service and professionalism.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Reasonable. The salary of the first offer was lower than I could accept given student loans and costs of raising a family. I respectfully asked for an additional amount and received it.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Hiring process is pretty standard for this industry. You have job interviews with 3 - 5 people at various levels. The unique aspect is the firm has you take a test which can be described as part math and part personality. I have had people fail this test who I wnated to hire so don't take it lightly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple for me because they recruited me and I knew people.

Consultant, Property Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Detroit, MI) in December 2009.

Interview

I begain with a phone interview that lasted about an hour. I then interviewed with four people from Ryan. The entire process took about 6 hours and I was taken out to lunch. I also had to pass a skills test, background check and a personality test. I was provided an offer within two weeks from the interview.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions regarding past experiences. Such as, describe a time when...   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The offer included a signing bonus and was higher than any other offers I had received from other companies.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter contacting me to set up a phone interview, which lasted about 30 to 45 minutes. She walked through my resume with me and asked me to explain the types of things I did for each organization I was involved in. After that, she asked standard questions such as "why ryan? how did you hear about us? tell me a little bit about yourself." Once that was over, she contacted me a week and a half later to set up an onsite interview. The day of the onsite interview, I took a test similar to the SAT which measured my verbal, math, and behavioral skills. If you do not pass this test, you will not be able to meet with the principal or the manager. Once you pass the test, you will first meet with the manager and then the principal, both are on a one on one basis. They explained the position more thoroughly and asked standard questions like the recruiter asked related to your resume and also things like "what is your biggest weakness? and what do you think was the biggest thing you walked away with from college?" After meeting with them, you then have to name 5 references who will take a survey about you, your skills, and your work habits. Once you enter them into the system, the company will email them the survey to fill out.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to know about Ryan?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (San Francisco, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

The recruiting team was very welcoming and enthusiastic about the firm and that enthusiasm was contagious. While the recruitment process from beginning to end was lengthy, the recruiter and hiring authority maintained regular contact to keep me interested in the company and the role for which I applied.

Interview Questions

• What do you see as your greatest strength and greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Negotiation

While the salary was not originally what I had expected, the recruiting team and hiring authority did a good job in highlighting the many benefits of the work environment and culture.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Chicago, IL) in April 2008.

Interview

I first met with the company at my college career fair. After two weeks, I was contacted by HR department in Dallas. I had a brief - 30 minute phone interview. Standard questions. I was then brought into the local office a few weeks later and had to interview with 3 different people. Each interview was about 30 minutes long. The interviews were with a Senior Consultant, Manager and the Principal.