Ryder System Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.9

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ryder System.

This was by far the most unprofessional, highly irregular interview, I was ever on. I applied for a marketing job and was contacted by a recruiter within 2 weeks. The phone interview was standard and I was asked to come in for an in-person interview the next week.

The in-person interview was at a marketing/sales only branch. I was taken to a large office where I met with the sales director who proceeded to tell me that traditionally, marketing roles had been used more to "get him coffee" than work on projects. The first hour he essentially grilled me on my knowledge of Ryder and asked very specific questions that someone outside the organization would not be familiar with. I am someone that performs due diligence learning about a company before an interview, but this was beyond anything I was accustomed to.

The interviewer was also quite insulting throughout the process indicating numerous times that he thought I was young and didn't have much experience in the field (I had 5 yrs. experience at the time). In total, the interview was a lengthy 2.5 hrs and he asked me to come back for a second interview with him. However, the next meeting was going to be at a Starbucks 3 hours away because he said he was traveling to another regional location that week. All in all, I was very uncomfortable and felt I was on an interview where gender equality was obsolete. Needless to say I did not go back. Very strange.

Interview Questions
    • Who is Ryder's biggest competitor' and what was their total revenue last year?   Answer Question

Senior Logistics Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ryder System.

Very informal. Phone screen started off the entire process. Following the phone screen there is an on-site interview. It was a few behavioral questions, ran through my resume, and then opened up for round table. Got a call a few days later from a recruiter.

Transportation Customer Logistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ryder System in March 2015.

I applied online through indeed.com and received a phone call 10 days later asking to do an interview the following day.

First Interview - over the phone with the person I would report to and another manager in the same role I was applying for. My only complaint was that it was difficult to hear, but they were polite, gave me time to answer and did a more than an adequate job explaining the role and expectations. They gave a specific time frame for a decision and when I should hear back as well, which was that they expected the candidate offered to begin the job 2 weeks from the upcoming Monday on which I interviewed,.

Second Interview - I should expect a call one way or the other in 5 business days, but they said it would be over the phone as well with the boss of the first interviewer and others (possibly)

Questions I asked:
    Q: What training is provided?
    A: I would ramp up in a month with someone from another location currently in the role, then receive 2-3 weeks of support from my supervisor.

Q: Travel?
    A: 10% if that, only for training purposes (for me not direct reports)

Q: What is the time-frame for a decision?
    A: 2 weeks from the next Monday.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about DOT hours of service?   View Answer
    • Do you have experience with record compliance as it relates to the DOT?   View Answer
    • How many direct reports did you have in your previous role?   View Answer
    • Please give a specific example of a time you solved a problem at work?   View Answer
    • What is your exposure to, or experience with, P&Ls?   View Answer

Logistics Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ryder System.

Easy and laid back. Interviewed briefly over the phone with HR. About a week after that, I scheduled a face to face interview at OSU with another HR representative. Invited to Roanoke facility after my interview for another one, but declined because it wasn't what I wanted to do.
    One negative I encountered was the amount of time I had to spend tracking down emails. I was told I would receive 3-4 emails about Ryder throughout my interview process, but never got them when Ryder said they would be delivered. Had to call the HR rep to tell them I never received the promised emails. The lack of communication played a part in my decision to decline the Roanoke interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ryder System in February 2015.

They conducted a telephonic round and did not call me. it happened two times. Finally, they called me at wrong time and discussed regarding the current opening and my experience. For the second round they called me at their office and grilled me with all the technical questions. They made me to write down actual C# code on the board. They gave me one quiz to solve. Again they scheduled 3rd round which was telephonic.

Shop Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Ryder System.

Very professional in the interview process, went through two interviews and found them to be very good during the process. found the question to be very good for the postion that I had applied for, was told that there would be a thrid interview which I was never contacted. I did make a follow up call to the company and found out that they had hired internally.

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ryder System.

Great interview with good questions and very friendly and honest interaction no pressure to give company answers interview time was an hour and felt good leaving about company and potential for growth

Diesel Mechanic Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ryder System in November 2014.

I was called by a Ryder recruiter in Phoenix Az. She sent me for an interview next day. The guy I was supposed to interview with wasn't there, so I interviewed with someone else. The questions were basically my skills, experience ect..

No negotiation

Rental Management Trainee Interview

short and sweet. interviewers were very relaxed and asked straight foward questions. made me feel comfortable right from the begining by asking about my background, family, etc.. Didnt feel much pressure at all.

no negotiation

Inside Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ryder System in October 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter who confirmed my interest in the position. I then did a telephone interview with the director of inside sales and two of the managers. They let me know I would be doing a role play and gave me the option to go ahead. I had gotten a brief description beforehand and went ahead with it then.

After the phone interview they called me almost a week later to come in for an in person interview. This is where the process got interesting. The in person interview was with 3 managers and the director. They took turns asking various questions, some standard most unusual. The interview went from very formal and serious to laughing and relaxed several times so it was hard to gauge how things were going. All things considered it was a pretty good experience.

Note to those interested: They will print copies of your linkedin and facebook along with your resume. Those profiles will be referenced in your interviews so make sure you know what is on there.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult decision you have to made in your personal life.   Answer Question
    The Recruiter called me and made an offer followed by an official offer letter. I attempted to negotiate my base up as my experience internally warranted and was told that was the flat rate for all internal sales positions non-negotiable.