S A C Capital Advisors

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Associate Interview

Operations Associate

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Interview Details – The HR department is terrible, will not mention names but it's just not worth going through the process

Interview Question – Sell me this pen (wasn't even a sales interview...)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Obvious reasons

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in July 2012.

Interview Details – Many many rounds of interviews, had to go to stamford 3 times. Eventually received offer but salary was low and disliked the dept so rejected it.

Interview Question – Many appropriate technical questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – low salary

Developer/Lead Interview

Developer/Lead
Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Interview Details – Initial phone call that is partly technical. Nothing complicated, just a few C#.Net basics and database basics.

Interview Question – 1) "Why are you here today?" It may be because the government indicted SAC while I was just about to begin the interview. I did not read the news yet.
2) Shortest path in a graph. I thought this was juvenile to ask this question because, this is a solved problem. No one will ever need to solve a problem like that as a developer in a hedge fund.
  Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview

Being asked about past experience, why interested in investment, what companies have you been following, financial modeling experience

Interview Question – What companies have you been following?   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in January 2013.

Interview Details – through school OCR

Interview Question – Why you changed your major   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Operations Associate

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Interview Details – Met with HR and several Hiring Managers. Mostly personality questions but also asked questions about the market and trivial questions to get an idea on how you think and where your interests are. Asked standard questions such as how you work with people and what your strengths and weaknesses are. Interviewers are interested that you are knowledgeable about the company and probe into why you feel the job you are interviewing for is a good fit.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses? How have you overcome these in previous jobs and in academics.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great company, with a good culture. Invite employees and prospective employees to ask questions and encourage cross training throughout the company. Movement throughout the company is encouraged.

Equity Analyst Interview

Equity Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in March 2012.

Interview Details – Arrived and had to take a modeling test. It was a basic modeling test where they ask you to do a revenue calc and then fix the income statement (that is jumbled). Then you link it to a simplified version of a cash flow statement and balance sheet. After the model test, I met with the portfolio manager. It was a very conversational interview where we talked about various stocks I had covered in my previous position or that I had worked on more in-depth. We spoke about the responsibilities of the position and how the fund was structured. He said that to get further down the process, I would have to go through a case study interview.

Interview Question – Name 5 positions that you would go long and go short today and why?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Trader
Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in October 2009.

Interview Details – Met senior manager in their cramped NYC office. He was very attentive and we talked for over an hour. They put the position on ice and did not hire anybody in that search. Good firm, I think.

Interview Question – Unexpectedly the interviewer assumed I was quite familiar with some details of the secretive SAC operation.   View Answer

Support Specialist Interview

Support Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Interview Details – Started with a Phone interview that had the standard questions like - experience, details on the company I currently worked at, my college experience etc. I subsequently had 3 more phone interviews before being flown in. I had a marathon interview day with several (around 8-10) people interviewing me on various things. The entire process was very professional.

Interview Question – How do you choose the books you read   Answer Question

Account Payable Interview

Account Payable

The process took a day - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in August 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews in one day. The first person from HR was extremely friendly and conversational. Great environment and overall it felt like a great interview. The second interview with another HR person was more question oriented. It was the usual interview questions, tough and direct. Overall my headhunter told me the interview was great and I received great feedback. I did not meet one of the qualification requirements so they went another direction.

Interview Question – What would your worst critic say about you?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for S A C Capital Advisors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at S A C Capital Advisors interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by S A C Capital Advisors employees and interview candidates.