S A C Capital Advisors Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.9

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in August 2013.

It is a phone interview. No hard questions were being asked. Mostly go over your resume. Introduce your background. Why you like the position. where did you hear this position. blablabla pretty stright forward.

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

The HR department is terrible, will not mention names but it's just not worth going through the process

Obvious reasons

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in July 2012.

Many many rounds of interviews, had to go to stamford 3 times. Eventually received offer but salary was low and disliked the dept so rejected it.

low salary

Developer/Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Initial phone call that is partly technical. Nothing complicated, just a few C#.Net basics and database basics.

Interview Questions
    • 1) "Why are you here today?" It may be because the government indicted SAC while I was just about to begin the interview. I did not read the news yet.
      2) Shortest path in a graph. I thought this was juvenile to ask this question because, this is a solved problem. No one will ever need to solve a problem like that as a developer in a hedge fund.
        Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in June 2013.

Phone Interview

Being asked about past experience, why interested in investment, what companies have you been following, financial modeling experience

Finance Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in January 2013.

through school OCR

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Met with HR and several Hiring Managers. Mostly personality questions but also asked questions about the market and trivial questions to get an idea on how you think and where your interests are. Asked standard questions such as how you work with people and what your strengths and weaknesses are. Interviewers are interested that you are knowledgeable about the company and probe into why you feel the job you are interviewing for is a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses? How have you overcome these in previous jobs and in academics.   Answer Question
    Great company, with a good culture. Invite employees and prospective employees to ask questions and encourage cross training throughout the company. Movement throughout the company is encouraged.

Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in March 2012.

Arrived and had to take a modeling test. It was a basic modeling test where they ask you to do a revenue calc and then fix the income statement (that is jumbled). Then you link it to a simplified version of a cash flow statement and balance sheet. After the model test, I met with the portfolio manager. It was a very conversational interview where we talked about various stocks I had covered in my previous position or that I had worked on more in-depth. We spoke about the responsibilities of the position and how the fund was structured. He said that to get further down the process, I would have to go through a case study interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 positions that you would go long and go short today and why?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors in October 2009.

Met senior manager in their cramped NYC office. He was very attentive and we talked for over an hour. They put the position on ice and did not hire anybody in that search. Good firm, I think.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpectedly the interviewer assumed I was quite familiar with some details of the secretive SAC operation.   View Answer

Support Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S A C Capital Advisors.

Started with a Phone interview that had the standard questions like - experience, details on the company I currently worked at, my college experience etc. I subsequently had 3 more phone interviews before being flown in. I had a marathon interview day with several (around 8-10) people interviewing me on various things. The entire process was very professional.

Interview Questions

Worked for S A C Capital Advisors? Contribute to the Community!