S.C. Johnson Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.1

Supply Planner Interview

Interview

Use Targeted selection: STAR format - situation/task, action, result. Want specific examples of your experience. I had two interviews with 3 people each that were pretty much the same just with different people. One right after another.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were least satisfied in your job. A time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Product Formulation Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at S.C. Johnson (Racine, WI) in January 2014.

Interview

First interviewed at a conference at the end of 2013 (lots of behavioral questions), then did a follow up video interview in November (quick interview to see if I would be a good fit for the company), then did an on-site interview that consisted of 6-7 1:1 interviews that varied with each person. SC Johnson likes behavioral questions and actually has a packet of them that focus on different areas (i.e. conflict, innovation, team-player, efficiency, etc.). The longer the manager was at the company the more they relied on their own questions for the interview (ex. why should we hire you, why SC Johnson, tell me about our competitors). All of them went through resume and relevant skills that I had. Overall very friendly and a great experience. Haven't heard back yet if I have an offer or not.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through the process of product formulation from the viewpoint of a consumer, and from the viewpoint of a chemist? What are some of the main categories we should focus on?   Answer Question

Lead Design (Senior Research Designer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at S.C. Johnson (Racine, WI) in August 2013.

Interview

It was a long interview. I had 8 interviewers with 8 different lines of questioning. It was clear in the first few minutes that it would be too complicated to embellish anything so you have to be yourself in the actual interview. There is a drug test, and detailed questions about any "criminal" past. The definition of criminal was a little more inclusive than I have seen before. It included traffic related items and other things I would not have expected.

Interview Questions

• Because the questions were canned, sometimes they made no sense in the context of the job. "how have you worked with consumer insight before, and how has having their imput changed what you were doing - give examples". Well, I was working for consumers and they were paying me so every day I was making those changes minute by minutes as dictated by the consumers, so that was my reality every minute and as such is hard to describe in the "epic moment" they seemed to be expecting. they could not understand this, as they are very sheltered from the very consumers they are trying to please. They don't understand small business. If you come from there be aware that these long-timers are far removed from who they want to please and are sort of behind on current practices. the interviewers who were not long-timers deviated from the canned script and I think it was more effective in teasing out why I could be a better candidate than someone else. That canned script was pretty crappy and a few of the interviewers saw that in the first few minutes while others "toed the company line" and got my stock answer because they asked the stock question. That was a waste of both of our times.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They did a relatively fair offer so I had minimal negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S.C. Johnson (Racine, WI).

Interview

Both individual and panel reviews. Interviewers following standard set of questions. Good people. New CIO looking to transform culture within IT. Jointly determined position was not best for me or for their needs.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers seemed unprepared for the interview and asked questions unrelated to the job role with respect to my previous employer's current business activity.   1 Answer

Tax Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in June 2013.

Interview

One phone interview

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S.C. Johnson.

Interview

Interviewed by more than 10 people. Many in hR. none are great interviewers. A lot of repeat questions. The most weird was my would be boss kept asking "how would you do x or y... " I answered but felt as if I should have charged them for an hour of consulting.

Interview Questions

• The last one before you was very talented. How do you know you won't fail?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. Gave me a phone interview where some basic resume background information was asked, and told me to apply online and that she would pass my resume onto the hiring team. This was over a month ago, and I have never heard back from her. I tried following up, but my emails were ignored. It is a bit unprofessional to reach out to somebody and then ignore them when they try to follow up with you.

Procurement Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in May 2013.

Interview

The hiring process started with an interview by phone with a HR recruiter Who wanted to know my motivations, my general information and testing my level of english. After that I was invited to 3 individual interviews: the HR herself, two Procurement managers and their boss. It happened in three different days and depending on the success of the previous interview. The questions were situational such as tell about a time when you succeed/ failed. ...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did something wrong, what happened and what did you learn.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Higher salary then my previous one.

Chemical Engineering Internship Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at S.C. Johnson.

Interview

A bunch of situational and behavioral questions. The interviewer was a bit rude; once your answers are a bit off, they immediately show that they are no longer interested in you.

Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson.

Interview

Initially got the interview through campus recruiting. The interview was two on one with a heavy emphasis on behavioral questions. They did ask a marketing case question, but it was an unstructured and open ended one. A few days later they informed me through email that I didn't receive a second round. Overall, it wasn't a bad interview. Interviewers were pretty open and friendly. Make sure to do your research on the entire CPG industry, not just SCJ.