S.C. Johnson

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Racine, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a recruiter who referred me to the hiring manager. The hiring manager interviewed me via phone. Then, I was invited to interview with 5 or 6 additional people in Racine. The process was straight from the DDI book and focused heavily on how I'd "fit" into the organization. I perceived the people to be extremely passive and satisfied with what I thought was alarmingly slow progress, though they seemed very deliberate and accurate. Clearly, I could have done the job but would have been VERY bored in no time. Obviously, I wouldn't have "fit" in their organization. Bottom line; the interview was all about whether the interviewers liked the candidate or not. They were very professional and precise.

Interview Question – Have you ever fired anyone?   View Answer

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Senior Research Engineer
Racine, WI

The process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in December 2010.

Interview Details – Typically SC Johnson conducts phone interview with potential employees. For on-site interviews, the company flies you into either Milwaukee or O'Hare and picks you up with a dedicated driver in a Surburban.

Many of decisions in the company are made by consensus, so as expected, the interview day is full of 1 hour interviews with different individuals. At the end of the day, the interviewers get together and discuss their impressions with the interviewee.

Interview questions are typical behavioral questions (i.e. tell me of a time when you...) One interviewer was tasked to ask Intellectual questions to dig deep into the practical understanding and thought process of the interviewee.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you had a difficult decision to make.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated through a recruiter. Explained salary and benefit requirements and expectations were met.

Innovation Manager Interview

Innovation Manager
Racine, WI

The process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very positive interaction with potential colleagues over the phone. The actual interview day seemed quite long, lasting 8.5 hours. Each interviewer on the list will have a packet of information in which they must fill out for their "calibration meeting" at the conclusion of the interview. This packet is a list of behavioral type of questions in which the candidate must give specific examples of their actions/roles in said questions. Four of the seven people I interviewed with said they did not like using the packet but they had to. The people for the most part were very gracious and seemed to like their jobs. With SCJ being a private company, the work culture is quite different than publicly listed companies in regards to employee benefits and perks. Also, their employee title system seems to be different than most I am accustomed to. Personally, I experienced a complete lack of professionalism and decorum from one interviewer (at a Director's level) who answered her office phone (on speaker phone) during the interview and repeatedly used curse words to the employee on the other end while I was sitting 3 feet away. I had only been in her office for less than 5 minutes. It was at that point I was no longer interested in working for SCJ.

The recruitment process took 3 months from the time I spoke with the recruiter to the decision.

Interview Questions

• Please be very specific about a time in which you had to be the coach for a colleague. Explain the all the circumstances around, what led you to your decisions and what the outcome was with that individual.   Answer Question
  • Please be very detailed about a time when you had negotiate with a superior for a decision in which the two of you were in disagreement. What resources would you draw from to make a specific case for your point of view?   Answer Question

Brand Management Intern Interview

Brand Management Intern
Racine, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in February 2009.

Interview Details – A 45-minute on-campus interview. First, meet with one representative, given 10 minutes to come up with a presentation. Then, talk to two other reps, and they ask you tons of behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Given the data, prepare a presentation in 10 minutes.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Supply Chain Analyst
Lowell, AR

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in April 2010.

Interview Details – HR Manager was on speaker phone remaining silent, while group panel discussed the position, my credentials, et cetera. I forgot the Hiring Manager was even there, she did not speak once. She must have took a corporate cat nap. Overall the interview experience was a 7 out of 10 point scale.

Interview Questions

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Assistant Brand Manager
Racine, WI

The process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through the website and they responded after a couple weeks. Initial phone screen was very basic and covered a resume walkthrough and a few questions about working with data and leadership.

In person interview covered typical behavioral questions, "Tell me about a time..." Details about interest in SCJ brands and the company and the location. Focused on leadership and overall company fit. Two person interview, very conversational.

Interview Question – Situational question about market share decreasing and what would you do to turn the brand around.   Answer Question

Marketing Internship Interview

Marketing Internship
Racine, WI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in March 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter and told I would have a chance to interview with the marketing recruiter for a summer internship position. I was not a student from the "typical" schools HR recruits from (Michigan, UW-Madison, and a few others) so I already felt at a disadvantage. The whole interview felt very forced. Every question was: tell me about a time when... I almost felt like they weren't even listening to my answers but just jotting down notes the whole time. Not warm and welcoming at all -- turned off from the company because of it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you worked in a group where someone wasn't pulling their weight.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in April 2009.

Interview Details – 2-3 times of interview with the hiring manager, HR and GM

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern
Rolle (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S.C. Johnson.

Interview Details – Interview process was first a interview with the Human Resources and then followed by an interview with Brand Managers and business analysts who test you. Sometimes the regional director with a hot spanish accent will interview you as well :) but I did not have that chance,

Interview Question – Cases where candidate needs to make simple calculations or understand graphs.   View Answer

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager
Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at S.C. Johnson in May 2008.

Interview Details – Job Application screened based on company need and candidate profile. Shotlisted. Interview by Immerdiate superior / level above. Recomendation sent to Head office. Based on possition called to regional or corporate office for final interview. offer letter given if selected. Appointment letter sent within a week

Interview Question – What if the target is substatialy more than the trend   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 3 iterations