S.C. Johnson

Updated Dec 26, 2014

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in March 2012.

There were two interviewers, both in my field. They had a list of questions to ask and went through the list. Once that was over, I asked them various questions and got to know them more. They made me an offer in person 30 minutes after my interview. HR contacted me the same day with paperwork to fill out. I received the paperwork in email and in the mail and mailed it back within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • What has been your worst and best group experiences and how did you contribute to the group?   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at S.C. Johnson in March 2012.

Very difficult lots of computer tests

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in January 2012.

Submitted resume and cover letter, was offered interview on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a lot of data and how you utilized it.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in October 2011.

I was interviewed by a recruiter who referred me to the hiring manager. The hiring manager interviewed me via phone. Then, I was invited to interview with 5 or 6 additional people in Racine. The process was straight from the DDI book and focused heavily on how I'd "fit" into the organization. I perceived the people to be extremely passive and satisfied with what I thought was alarmingly slow progress, though they seemed very deliberate and accurate. Clearly, I could have done the job but would have been VERY bored in no time. Obviously, I wouldn't have "fit" in their organization. Bottom line; the interview was all about whether the interviewers liked the candidate or not. They were very professional and precise.

R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in February 2011.

I had a 8.5 hour LONG day of interviews. I was even interviewed over lunch while I ate. They use the STAR method (Google it). They ask a question and I had to explain a situation I was in that was similar and details of that situation. YES- 8.5 hours with multiple different people. They were very focused on if I was a fit for their company and had a sense of arrogance. I did not have a chance to ask a lot of questions and they Forgot I was also interviewing them. They seemed very old school. The worst part was the last person- it was the manager- he had the hardest questions and my brain was shutting off due to 8 hours of interviewing. I have never been that exhausted in my life. I ended up accepting the offer due to salary/location.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation you were in a department that had a large process change. How were you affected and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    I negotiated salary and an extra week of vacation. The starting date was the hardest to negotiate. I would ask for what you want and be cautious too as they think you should be dying to work for them.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

The process took a dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in December 2010.

Typically SC Johnson conducts phone interview with potential employees. For on-site interviews, the company flies you into either Milwaukee or O'Hare and picks you up with a dedicated driver in a Surburban.

Many of decisions in the company are made by consensus, so as expected, the interview day is full of 1 hour interviews with different individuals. At the end of the day, the interviewers get together and discuss their impressions with the interviewee.

Interview questions are typical behavioral questions (i.e. tell me of a time when you...) One interviewer was tasked to ask Intellectual questions to dig deep into the practical understanding and thought process of the interviewee.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had a difficult decision to make.   Answer Question
    Negotiated through a recruiter. Explained salary and benefit requirements and expectations were met.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in December 2010.

Behavorial interview questions and technical competence questions. "Tell me of a time when you had a difficult situation - what did you do and what were the results?" Interviewed with 5 individuals. One interview was technically based and the others were behavorial. No skills test per-se, but technical interview probed at past experiences and depth of knowledge

Innovation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

The process took a dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in November 2010.

Very positive interaction with potential colleagues over the phone. The actual interview day seemed quite long, lasting 8.5 hours. Each interviewer on the list will have a packet of information in which they must fill out for their "calibration meeting" at the conclusion of the interview. This packet is a list of behavioral type of questions in which the candidate must give specific examples of their actions/roles in said questions. Four of the seven people I interviewed with said they did not like using the packet but they had to. The people for the most part were very gracious and seemed to like their jobs. With SCJ being a private company, the work culture is quite different than publicly listed companies in regards to employee benefits and perks. Also, their employee title system seems to be different than most I am accustomed to. Personally, I experienced a complete lack of professionalism and decorum from one interviewer (at a Director's level) who answered her office phone (on speaker phone) during the interview and repeatedly used curse words to the employee on the other end while I was sitting 3 feet away. I had only been in her office for less than 5 minutes. It was at that point I was no longer interested in working for SCJ.

The recruitment process took 3 months from the time I spoke with the recruiter to the decision.

Interview Questions
    • Please be very specific about a time in which you had to be the coach for a colleague. Explain the all the circumstances around, what led you to your decisions and what the outcome was with that individual.   Answer Question
    • Please be very detailed about a time when you had negotiate with a superior for a decision in which the two of you were in disagreement. What resources would you draw from to make a specific case for your point of view?   Answer Question

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in October 2010.

Not a squabbling-in-the-backseat kind of family. (Well, not usually.) But a glad-we’re-in-this-together kind of family. So we understand the joys and strains you feel every day. Dig in and discover tips to help any family, and special ways to celebrate yours. Not a squabbling-in-the-backseat kind of family. (Well, not usually.) But a glad-we’re-in-this-together kind of family. So we understand the joys and strains you feel every day. Dig in and discover tips to help any family, and special ways to celebrate yours.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, AR

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S.C. Johnson in April 2010.

HR Manager was on speaker phone remaining silent, while group panel discussed the position, my credentials, et cetera. I forgot the Hiring Manager was even there, she did not speak once. She must have took a corporate cat nap. Overall the interview experience was a 7 out of 10 point scale.