S&P Capital IQ

S&P Capital IQ Business Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at S&P Capital IQ

Interview Details – Call for interview based on review of the CV.
Round one - short interview asking basic and general questions.
Round two - detailed written test. There were different sections - GK, writing business reports based on a detailed write up given about a particular fictional company and answering questions after analysis of business reports.
Round three - technical interview.

Interview Question – Most difficult was writing the business report based on a detailed write up given about the company in question.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

The process took 2 months - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2010.

Interview Details – first interview was drawing an erd diagram and another skills based question. First person I talked to I was extremely impressed with, really smart guy. I got a second interview down at their office where I saw the first person i interviewed with, my potential manager, and another business analyst. the other business analyst had been there awhile, and seemed frustrated with the company but loved the people. the manager was smart and asked good questions. I signed a paper for travel reimbursement, was told I would hear back in two weeks and left. That's when things got unorganized. I didn't hear anything back for over two weeks, emailed the recruiter and heard nothing back. I got the check like a month and a half later and it was for double the amount I put down. My friend also had a second interview and emailed the recruiter and was told he wasn't getting the job. I emailed them two times more and never heard a thing back. Kind of ridiculous for a company to be that unprofessional.

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2010.

Interview Details – The first round of the interview consisted of taking a skills assestment test. The first question wanted you to outline/draw a sample interface of a database to hold documents. The second question asked about ERD's, and making one for a specific scenario. Then the interviewer would then come in, and ask you questions on your answers. The interviewer would propose difference scenarios for the interface, and ask how you would debug and implement small changes to improve user capability.

Interview Question – What's your least favorite desgin?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a 30 min Skills test (based on the role- Developer/DBA/ BA) and then a 1:1 interview to discuss solutions to interview questions. Questions included how to design a user interface based on a given scenario.

Interview Question – How would you design a user interface for Capital IQ's website given some specific requirements.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview Details – Got interview through on-campus recruiting. There was a 30 min pre-interview technology test. Afterwards, a behavioral interview where the recruiter discusses the results from the test and asks questions about your approach. There were plenty of questions about why you chose a certain design and other human-computer interaction questions. Finally, the recruiter gives a general overview of the position and responsibilities. Very informal one-on-one talk.

Interview Question – Why wouldn't you want to sort queries based on popularity if you worked at S&P?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2010.

Interview Details – Campus Interview, lasted for one hour, finished the problem set they gave in half a hour and then discussed the solution with the interviewee. User interface design

Interview Question – Design the user interface for a given website with some descriptions   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2010.

Interview Details – Long - met with multiple people during 2 sessions. First session was 2 people, second session was 4 people.

Interview Question – Design a web page   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2010.

Interview Details – Met them at a career fair and dropped off my resume. Was called for an inperson interview on campus. Interviewer was young. Had graduated from college 2 years earlier. We were asked to answer a technical question on designing a web page. that part of the interview lasted 30 minutes. Later, she came to evaluate my work and we discussed it and she asked some questions about it. That lasted about 15 minutes and then she asked general fit questions in which she was trying to find out my technical / design background. We discussed designing web pages some more and I asked a few questions. She was very nice. It's been a week and I am yet to find out if I will be called back for a 2nd round or not.. *fingers crossed*

Interview Question – Do you have any technical/design background?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview Details – First round was a design test that included qa testing questions and erd. Second round included 3 interviews where design questions were asked

Interview Question – Walk through a website and redesign it   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my résumé through campus career fair, then received an email about a week later for an on-campus technical interview. The technical interview has a 30 minutes test on "Redesign the current [company financial filings] website" with some guidelines and requirements. And then it's another 30 minutes with the interviewer about the test, how you arrived to your answers, and about your résumé and experiences.

A week later, during the spring break, I received an email from HR inviting me to attend their Super Day - four 30 minutes 1:1 interviews with BAs, they will ask questions they have encountered during their real projects. You don't need to have the perfect, correct answer, but you are expected to ask a lot of questions.

Overall a pleasant experience with Capital IQ, and I'm still waiting for my final results, hope I can get the internship :)

Interview Question – Redesign the current [company financial filings] website, with a QA test plan.   Answer Question

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!