S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014
Updated Oct 10, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

I applied online on my school's Job link. It is an on campus interview and I was asked to finish 4 programming questions in 30 mins. And the interviewer went through those 4 question with me together.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2014.

2 weeks after the application I had phone interview with an HR. Questions were about work authorization, nothing about the job. Next week I had an interview at the office one by one with the team director, VP of marketing and another team director. They were all so nice. I thought it went well. I received a really kind rejection email that the director explained that they found someone else who has a technical skill that is important for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you? What value can you bring to our team? Would you be able to adjust this company since you never had an experience at a big corporation before?   Answer Question

Leveraged Loan Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in May 2014.

One phone interview. Pleasant woman although I felt the conversation was extremely formal and she wasn't particularly interested in talking about the position which I was interested in learning more about. I was told if the company was interested I'd be called in but I wasn't. I'm wondering what knocked me off in that screening call. I don't think she like my answer to "What interests you in the position?"

Quantitative Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in May 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter, had a phone interview with hiring manager. Was called for an onsite interview in New York with four team members. good experience overall, everyone was really nice. Recruiter was very helpful throughout and got feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview followed my small talk and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

I was called for interview after selected from my college's job portal. Interview was for 30 mins before which there was a technical test for 30 min, containing algorithm and data structures related questions. RIght after the test was the interview. The interview questions were not related to my performance in the test, but was told that in the second round I would be asked questions on my test performance.

Interview Questions
    • It was pretty easy interview. Included both behavioral and technical questions.
      Behavioral:
      >what do u want to be 5 years from now. Then 10 years from now.
      >what do u like the most about programming or being software engineer
      Technical: gave me a technical scenario and judged my approach- theres a huge stream of stocks info coming, that has company name and stock value. how wud u design to store that data, so that lookup of stock is value is fast? how wud u implement caching policy?

Quantitative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in April 2014.

Phone interview with HR, then 1 week later phone interview with manager.
    Then 2 weeks later interview with 5 people in office.
    Had to call them to find out status a few weeks later

Interview Questions
    • What was something different that you had done on the job.   View Answer

Database Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

I applied through my university's CareerNet website. I was called for an On-Campus Interview. The interview lasted for an hour. First, I had to appear for a 30 minute test, which included 3 questions. First question was to draw an E-R diagram from the given information. Second question was to solve SQL queries. Third question tests your basic programming skills, few basic programs like prime number, palindrome etc.

A week later, I got an e-mail informing me that I cleared the first round of interview and was invited for the final round of interviews on-site. The final round of interviews lasted for 2 hours and 15 minutes. There were 3 interviews one after the other each of 45 mins.

The on-site interview started at 12:30. The 1st interviewer gave a data model and asked some basic SQL queries on that. He also asked about indexing. The 2nd interviewer presented me with a scenario and asked to design a data model. The 3rd interview was conducted by 2 people. They gave me a data model and asked some set operation based SQL queries. My interview ended at 2:45. The HR gave us a tour of the office after the interview.

Along with technical they even asked me about the project work, experience etc. So be ready for resume based questions too.

I got a call from the HR after 2 weeks to inform me that I was selected.

Overall, it was a good experience. Concentrate more on data modelling and SQL queries. Try solving as many queries as you can. Practice well.

The Interviewers are warm and polite. They help you if you are stuck or give you hints so that you get an idea of the question and can think in the right way.

Even if you go wrong, it is completely fine, what matters is your approach towards the question, your problem solving skills etc.

All the best!!

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked a difficult question but I wasn't much prepared with set operation based queries. So I had tough time answering them.   View Answer

Summer Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

The application was online and it took about about 6 months before I got an email to schedule a telephonic interview. Because it took so long, I had actually forgotten I had applied to this position. The manager who called me was a great conversationalist and asked great questions but was not knowledgeable about programming subjects.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about S&P Capital IQ?
      Explain in detail the process of software development.

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

Two rounds of interviews. The first was a 1:1 on campus and involved a written test prior to speaking with the interviewer. The test was 3 questions, two involving database design and a third relating to algorithms. With some basic SQL knowledge, the first two were fairly straightforward. The third was a little more challenging because it was a very specific question and involved some Computer Science knowledge. The interviewer was extremely friendly and very helpful when I didn't know something. I didn't even finish the test, which wasn't a problem.

The second round was on site and had three different groups (2 were 1:1 and the other had 2 interviewers). Same level of difficulty with questions, just more intense. Everyone was very professional and helpful, not as intimidating as I'd expected. Overall, good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find all prime numbers less than or equal to some number n?
      Design a database for a set of airlines, airports, and passengers. (And a few subsequent questions relating to your design)
        Answer Question
    Internship, so no negotiation, but salary was very fair.

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2014.

I applied through a campus recruiter. The process took three weeks, and I was interviewed by two people, a product consultant and a account manager. The interviewers were very straight forward about the position description, the hiring process, and the company culture. Most of the interview was spent discussing my major and qualifications, and there were very few behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • I do not come from a finance background, so the interviewers really grilled me on how my background fit into the job position.   Answer Question