S&P Capital IQ

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.1

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Total 4 rounds.
    1st - simple written test of 30 mins including english and logical reasoning questions.
    2nd - HR interview. (I was asked technical questions in HR interview itself)
    3rd - Written test of 1.5 hours testing ypur aptitude and general awareness.
    (First 3 rounds happened on the same day)
    4th - Managerial Interview.
    (questions relating to oil prices, gold prices, Saarc summit, Derivatives, and general questions about myself)

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Three interviews:-
    1. First Round(phone) :HR based interviews with general HR questions and provided a coding Quiz(Fraction point).

2. Second Round(phone): Interview with the hiring manager, general questions about my experience and courses taken at school. Discussed about my projects and how I could improve it now, and also went over the quiz.

3. Third Round (on-site) : 3 Round interviews with 4 different people(two in the last round). First round asked general question for 10 mins and provided to a coding quiz to be solved in 45 mins.

It had 4 questions ,all Data structures and OOPS based.
    1.Least Common Ancestor in a BST.
    2. Merging two sorted lists.
    3.How to Designing cache to return data faster (solution-hashtable) and how to improve it with multiple requests(multi-threading..)
    4. How to design vending Machine.

Second Round, the interviewer went over each solution and asked questions around the problem, improvements, and running times.

Third Round, two interviewers went over OOP, Design Patter, multi-threading, etc. Asked me to design and write codes for a Deck of cards for Blackjack, and some features of BlackJack Game(shuffling, players, giving cards to each player, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard, brush up on data structures and OOP.   Answer Question
    Negotiated starting date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

First interview was a phone screen, which covered the basics of object oriented design. Second interview came a couple months later and was on site with three individual engineers. This interview was bit more in debt, it involved 3 questions related to algorithm design, application design and a high level implementation the database objects required to store the applications data with the correct normalization. The questions were quite manageable and came from regular scenarios which would occur in most enterprise solutions. The last interview was over the phone and was strategically focused on the technologies that position required. Mostly focus on SOA and the Microsoft stack which can be used to build these type of solutions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked about database isolation and optimizing a process which will have a high level of concurrency. This was not difficult for me but was unexpected.   Answer Question
    I had a pending offer and they matched it.

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it !

Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot).

On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated.

I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer.

**S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones.

1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code)

2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.
        - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries

3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite

4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100.

****In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest.

Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it.

Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply.

After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails.

AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings.

At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS.

Hope this helps !

Interview Questions
    • 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

The placement process had 4 rounds. 1st one was the aptitude round which had questions from verbal and quant. Next was a written technical test. Then there was a technical interview followed by a telephonic interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

I applied online on my school's Job link. It is an on campus interview and I was asked to finish 4 programming questions in 30 mins. And the interviewer went through those 4 question with me together.

Interview Questions
    • Design a Cache to store stock information.   View Answer

Database Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

The interview process was quite simple. I applied through my university''s job portal. My resume got shortlisted and I was asked to schedule an interview appointment.
    On the day of the interview, there were two tasks, one was a written test and second was the interview.

Both the tasks were given a time on 30 minutes.

The test was easy but lengthy. So make sure you manage the time well.
    The interview was mostly based on your SQL skillset. The interviewer gave a scenario and asked to design a database for it. And then the whole interview went around the same database design.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite simple. But they expect you to provide with an optimal solution for the problem.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Initially i appeared for an written exam for which result declared next day then called for interview process where i had two rounds of technical session. on successful completion, called for final HR round.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

The process took a weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

There were 5 rounds starting with a moderate test then a Hr interview followed with another test, this will happen in a day and then the selected candidates are further called for interviews.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Aptitude test, followed by HR round. Then Finance test. These were elimination rounds. Then had interview rounds with managers and director. I felt the HRs were not very co-operative. I mailed them a day before asking about the office location, etc. since I was new to the area but they did not bother to reply.

Interview Questions
    • Finance Test was difficult as I am not a finance student.   Answer Question