S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

3.1

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quite simple. I applied through my university''s job portal. My resume got shortlisted and I was asked to schedule an interview appointment. On the day of the interview, there were two tasks, one was a written test and second was the interview. Both the tasks were given a time on 30 minutes. The test was easy but lengthy. So make sure you manage the time well. The interview was mostly based on your SQL skillset. The interviewer gave a scenario and asked to design a database for it. And then the whole interview went around the same database design.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite simple. But they expect you to provide with an optimal solution for the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it ! Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot). On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated. I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer. **S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones. 1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code) 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights. - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries 3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite 4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100. ****In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest. Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it. Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply. After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails. AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings. At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS. Hope this helps !

Interview Questions

• 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

2 weeks after the application I had phone interview with an HR. Questions were about work authorization, nothing about the job. Next week I had an interview at the office one by one with the team director, VP of marketing and another team director. They were all so nice. I thought it went well. I received a really kind rejection email that the director explained that they found someone else who has a technical skill that is important for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? What value can you bring to our team? Would you be able to adjust this company since you never had an experience at a big corporation before?   Answer Question

Quantitative Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter, had a phone interview with hiring manager. Was called for an onsite interview in New York with four team members. good experience overall, everyone was really nice. Recruiter was very helpful throughout and got feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview followed my small talk and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Leveraged Loan Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

One phone interview. Pleasant woman although I felt the conversation was extremely formal and she wasn't particularly interested in talking about the position which I was interested in learning more about. I was told if the company was interested I'd be called in but I wasn't. I'm wondering what knocked me off in that screening call. I don't think she like my answer to "What interests you in the position?"

Interview Questions

• "What interests you in the position?"   1 Answer

Software Engineer Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

I was called for interview after selected from my college's job portal. Interview was for 30 mins before which there was a technical test for 30 min, containing algorithm and data structures related questions. RIght after the test was the interview. The interview questions were not related to my performance in the test, but was told that in the second round I would be asked questions on my test performance.

Interview Questions

• It was pretty easy interview. Included both behavioral and technical questions. Behavioral: >what do u want to be 5 years from now. Then 10 years from now. >what do u like the most about programming or being software engineer Technical: gave me a technical scenario and judged my approach- theres a huge stream of stocks info coming, that has company name and stock value. how wud u design to store that data, so that lookup of stock is value is fast? how wud u implement caching policy?   Answer Question

Quantitative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then 1 week later phone interview with manager. Then 2 weeks later interview with 5 people in office. Had to call them to find out status a few weeks later

Interview Questions

• What was something different that you had done on the job.   1 Answer

Database Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through my university's CareerNet website. I was called for an On-Campus Interview. The interview lasted for an hour. First, I had to appear for a 30 minute test, which included 3 questions. First question was to draw an E-R diagram from the given information. Second question was to solve SQL queries. Third question tests your basic programming skills, few basic programs like prime number, palindrome etc. A week later, I got an e-mail informing me that I cleared the first round of interview and was invited for the final round of interviews on-site. The final round of interviews lasted for 2 hours and 15 minutes. There were 3 interviews one after the other each of 45 mins. The on-site interview started at 12:30. The 1st interviewer gave a data model and asked some basic SQL queries on that. He also asked about indexing. The 2nd interviewer presented me with a scenario and asked to design a data model. The 3rd interview was conducted by 2 people. They gave me a data model and asked some set operation based SQL queries. My interview ended at 2:45. The HR gave us a tour of the office after the interview. Along with technical they even asked me about the project work, experience etc. So be ready for resume based questions too. I got a call from the HR after 2 weeks to inform me that I was selected. Overall, it was a good experience. Concentrate more on data modelling and SQL queries. Try solving as many queries as you can. Practice well. The Interviewers are warm and polite. They help you if you are stuck or give you hints so that you get an idea of the question and can think in the right way. Even if you go wrong, it is completely fine, what matters is your approach towards the question, your problem solving skills etc. All the best!!

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked a difficult question but I wasn't much prepared with set operation based queries. So I had tough time answering them.   1 Answer

Summer Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was online and it took about about 6 months before I got an email to schedule a telephonic interview. Because it took so long, I had actually forgotten I had applied to this position. The manager who called me was a great conversationalist and asked great questions but was not knowledgeable about programming subjects.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about S&P Capital IQ? Explain in detail the process of software development.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. The first was a 1:1 on campus and involved a written test prior to speaking with the interviewer. The test was 3 questions, two involving database design and a third relating to algorithms. With some basic SQL knowledge, the first two were fairly straightforward. The third was a little more challenging because it was a very specific question and involved some Computer Science knowledge. The interviewer was extremely friendly and very helpful when I didn't know something. I didn't even finish the test, which wasn't a problem. The second round was on site and had three different groups (2 were 1:1 and the other had 2 interviewers). Same level of difficulty with questions, just more intense. Everyone was very professional and helpful, not as intimidating as I'd expected. Overall, good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you find all prime numbers less than or equal to some number n? Design a database for a set of airlines, airports, and passengers. (And a few subsequent questions relating to your design)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Internship, so no negotiation, but salary was very fair.