S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

On-Campus: Written test followed by a follow-up in person interview.
    On-site:
    3 back to back technical interviews, 40-45 minutes each.
    Questions:
    1. Design "Undo" and "Redo" feature for a text editor.
    2. Given an integer array, return "1" if sum of any two numbers is zero.
    3. Use two dice to create a random number generator (0-15).
    4. What is a Race Condition?
    5. Given a continuous stream of characters, find the first non-repeating character.

Product Consultant Interview

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to use your persuasion skills to change someone's mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Had an on campus interview. Took 30 minutes paper test and then went through all the questions with the interviewer. Some follow-up questions from the interviewers are not easy compare to the written test.

Interview Questions

• Binary tree path sum
      find a linkedlist's nth to last node
      Cache design
      DB design
      count the number of bits in a char

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through my university's career web site before 2009, and was contacted for the first round interview.

First round - Two technical interviews with software engineers. We were given a paper test with 5 questions that have been stated close to verbatim in previous reviews (find closest common parent of two nodes, reverse a linked list, count # of bits in a byte, db schema, cache design). The interviews are essentially a review of that paper test, and you may be asked to answer a slightly-modified version on one of the questions.

Final round - Two technical interviews and one HR interview. Both of the interviewers were senior engineers, and they asked different types of programming questions that are more or less on par with the paper test in the first round. The HR interview was very relaxed.

During the process, you eat lunch with other employees (with no connection to the interviewers) and may ask questions. My process was quick; I was contacted the day of the first round interview for the final round invite, and I was contacted a week after the final round with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• -Finding the lowest common parent of two nodes can be tricky
      -Detecting a palindrome (this was asked to nearly every candidate when I was applying)

Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to push back start-time, and slightly change the compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

This varies depending on the level - be prepared to answer core questions about Microsoft tools like C# and SQL Server

Solid knowledge of OO design principles is important and try to be concise as some interviewers will write you off if you keep jabbering.

I did not come across any general knowledge or other non technical questions but it is recommended that you brush up on what's happening in the industry to show that you are motivated.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much. I liked their offer

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview

The first round interview was on campus following a school career fair and resume drop. Next was a super day at the company's New York Ciy headquarters. All of the questions were very easy. They were mostly about your background and experience. Nothing to worry about at all. Emphasize a passion for finance and helping others, and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. Tell me about a time you exhibited _____?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Architecture Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

4 round interviews, all were in person interviews. But that time it was for summer interns. But mostly they see how you present your thoughts clearly. Not very technical.

Interview Questions

• 2 rounds technical, 1 round "intelligence", 1 round project. Really easy questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online, had two phone screens and an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• There was one question on designing a class/set of classes which help to find the stock quote for a particular company. A method was provided which takes a sticker(String) as an input and gives the stock value(double). But this method was too expensive to call, so how would you optimize your solution(make the minimal number of calls to this method). Also the stock value returned should not be more than an hour old. There were subparts to this question, on caching the values and multithreading.   Answer Question
    • Given a tree and a value n, check if the sum of values on any path of the tree from root to a leaf equals to that value.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

I was called for a screening interview first which just asked about me and my resume. If they like you, you will to the next round with more phone interviews. Had three interviews for three separate teams engineer teams all working on different projects. I got the offer the same day as i interviewed for all three teams. Offer was for my choice of any of the teams so i chose the best one for me.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, weren't too technical. No specific coding questions as i guess they trust that you can do what they want.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Just take it. 28$ an hour.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I submitted my résumé through campus career fair, then received an email about a week later for an on-campus technical interview. The technical interview has a 30 minutes test on "Redesign the current [company financial filings] website" with some guidelines and requirements. And then it's another 30 minutes with the interviewer about the test, how you arrived to your answers, and about your résumé and experiences.

A week later, during the spring break, I received an email from HR inviting me to attend their Super Day - four 30 minutes 1:1 interviews with BAs, they will ask questions they have encountered during their real projects. You don't need to have the perfect, correct answer, but you are expected to ask a lot of questions.

Overall a pleasant experience with Capital IQ, and I'm still waiting for my final results, hope I can get the internship :)

Interview Questions

• Redesign the current [company financial filings] website, with a QA test plan.   Answer Question