S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
221 interviews

3.1

Associate Interview

Interview Questions
    • Do keep in mind that the company reviews on all these sites are posted by individuals, including possibly disgruntled employees. So, use them as a tool to help gather more information about a company, but don't count on them as 100% accurate, because every employee's experience is different.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

I applied through my university's CareerNet website. I was called for an On-Campus Interview. The interview lasted for an hour. First, I had to appear for a 30 minute test, which included 3 questions. First question was to draw an E-R diagram from the given information. Second question was to solve SQL queries. Third question tests your basic programming skills, few basic programs like prime number, palindrome etc.

A week later, I got an e-mail informing me that I cleared the first round of interview and was invited for the final round of interviews on-site. The final round of interviews lasted for 2 hours and 15 minutes. There were 3 interviews one after the other each of 45 mins.

The on-site interview started at 12:30. The 1st interviewer gave a data model and asked some basic SQL queries on that. He also asked about indexing. The 2nd interviewer presented me with a scenario and asked to design a data model. The 3rd interview was conducted by 2 people. They gave me a data model and asked some set operation based SQL queries. My interview ended at 2:45. The HR gave us a tour of the office after the interview.

Along with technical they even asked me about the project work, experience etc. So be ready for resume based questions too.

I got a call from the HR after 2 weeks to inform me that I was selected.

Overall, it was a good experience. Concentrate more on data modelling and SQL queries. Try solving as many queries as you can. Practice well.

The Interviewers are warm and polite. They help you if you are stuck or give you hints so that you get an idea of the question and can think in the right way.

Even if you go wrong, it is completely fine, what matters is your approach towards the question, your problem solving skills etc.

All the best!!

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked a difficult question but I wasn't much prepared with set operation based queries. So I had tough time answering them.   View Answer

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2014.

I gone through the written test and written test was as easy as simple test with forty questions in finance and ten questions in aptitude and ten questions in English and time given for me is one hour and i finished the test within half an hour.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2013.

there was drive for Research Associate..application were invited thru employee referall, naukri or simiar ways.. drive was on for more than 2 weeks.. and graduate+ pg both were invited..
    1. a form was given in which details were to be filled + an aptitude test ( 30 min) to fill up all
    2. shortlisted were called for namesake HR intv. and then were told that will call u later..
    it happend with almost all candidates.. i wonder if any was selected..on that day or other..

i have not got a call yet.. or i dont know whether vacancies are filled

Interview Questions
    • no such ques..
      prepare for- why u want to join and your key skills for the job post
        Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2013.

2 rounds test and then HR round.. very very simple

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2011.

I came in as an experienced hire, so my interview process was a bit different. Basically, it was sitting with three different people (a VP, an associate and my boss) and just talking about why I wanted the position and my strengths with customer service. Very easy interview- they need people so as long as you have a pulse you should be okay.

Interview Questions
    • Basically having to sit there while the VP bashed my previous place of employment. I, being a professional (unlike half the people at the company), did not join in on the bashing. Still not sure if that was a test or if the VP is that immature.   Answer Question
    Flat offer. No negotiation. At the end of the day, you are a pawn in a conglomerate- they don't care about you. It used to be that Capital IQ was an agile, small time software company. The company has gone to the dogs.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2009.

Simple question not like those "boring" questions that some companies ask...
    questions include:
    what modules did you like at university?
    what modules you disliked?
    background?
    culture?
    job experience?

Client Development Analyst Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2010.

A campus recruiter came to do the interviews. She was very friendly and put you at ease right away. Typical resume based questions. Plus genuine small talk

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2010.

The first round of the interview consisted of taking a skills assestment test. The first question wanted you to outline/draw a sample interface of a database to hold documents. The second question asked about ERD's, and making one for a specific scenario. Then the interviewer would then come in, and ask you questions on your answers. The interviewer would propose difference scenarios for the interface, and ask how you would debug and implement small changes to improve user capability.

Database Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2009.

interview began with a Test on the database field. there were 3 questions
    1. data modelling for a contacts database.
    2. writing up few select queries.
    3. writing a piece of code for a search problem.

time given was 30 min. after which the person came in and asked the logic and reasoning behind solutions. post that was a small discussion on the resume. whole process lasted an hour and few minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Draw er digg. for a contact list. where in it needs to store contact info of clients, professionals & organisations. in addition they need to store extra infromtion pertaining to a organisation   View Answer
    • basic select queries inclusive of joins, 5 tables provided and 5 select questions asked.   Answer Question
    • write a code to compare a ambigram.   Answer Question