S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014

3.1

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2011.

I came in as an experienced hire, so my interview process was a bit different. Basically, it was sitting with three different people (a VP, an associate and my boss) and just talking about why I wanted the position and my strengths with customer service. Very easy interview- they need people so as long as you have a pulse you should be okay.

Interview Questions
    • Basically having to sit there while the VP bashed my previous place of employment. I, being a professional (unlike half the people at the company), did not join in on the bashing. Still not sure if that was a test or if the VP is that immature.   Answer Question
    Flat offer. No negotiation. At the end of the day, you are a pawn in a conglomerate- they don't care about you. It used to be that Capital IQ was an agile, small time software company. The company has gone to the dogs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

Offered Interview at school, which consisted of an hour. It was basically 30 minutes answering a question then 30 minutes reviewing it. THen if they like you they will call you back to go to New York then interview process took all day there. It consisted of interviewing with 3 people on personality, and two technical. Afterwards you go home, but they provide funding to fly to new york.

Interview Questions
    • First question was design a website that involved in showing stock data. It had criterias.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

The first interview consisted of a skills test (mainly dealing with interface design) and then a 1:1 interview going over performance on skills test and testing general logic/thinking skills.

Final Round consisted of a Super Day in the city with 3 1:1 interviews with different team members. Essentially they threw current problems at you and watched you work through them on a white board while explaining.

Overall a terrible experience, I was notified later that they had already filled all of the position openings and had over interviewed applicants. They were long between communications and unresponsive. Took them 4 months to repay my travel expenses. However, the company has a start up quality inside of a giant, so that's nice.

Interview Questions
    • Design a web search user interface for current website.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

There was a half hour phone interview which was technical. After being cleared in it, I was invited to the location for a personal interview which consisted of a technical written test which was moderately difficult after which I met with three super smart people who grilled me on the test answers and my technical know how.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I choose certain index design for the tables in the test.   View Answer

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

got interview through on campus job fair. The interview is 30min written test followed by a 30min of 1:1 interview. Mainly discuss the answers to the questions. Questions are about ER design, write a short java code and some complicated SQL queries given several schemas. The interviewer is helpful and very nice. Just got invitation to go to NYC for final round.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2011.

Capital IQ came to our university career fair and my resume got selected. The next week I was called to give a Skills test and that followed by a 1:1 interview of one hour and consisted of basic questions like Reverse a linked list, Tree traversal, etc. The week after that I got a reply from the hiring manager about them moving ahead with other candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a linked list   View Answers (2)
    • Tree traversal - Show that P and Q are contained in the nodes of a tree. (Don't remember the exact question..It had a diagram)   Answer Question
    • Draw ER Diagram for a contact management system having subsidary companies, etc..   Answer Question
    • How to count the number of set bits in a character??   Answer Question
    • Pseudo code to get stock quotes of public companies using an API and a cache efficient way to store it to reduce server load per calls.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2011.

Interview consisted of a 30 min Skills test (based on the role- Developer/DBA/ BA) and then a 1:1 interview to discuss solutions to interview questions. Questions included how to design a user interface based on a given scenario.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a user interface for Capital IQ's website given some specific requirements.   Answer Question

Client Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2011.

The asked very generic questions and I believe the key to do a good job is to be prepared to have a concise answer to respond to those generic broad questions.

Questions such as
    - Tell me about you
    - What are your weaknesses?
    - Why do you want to work in finance

Data Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2011.

Applied for the Data Business Analyst position a month ago and received a call for face to face interview directly at their New York office.The interview consisted of three 1:1 interviews.Most of the questions asked focused on the projects i mentioned in my resume.Interview lasted around 90 minutes.They said they'll get in touch in the coming weeks.Am now waiting for their response.The work environment is pretty chilled out and most of them working are under their 30's.Of all the interviews i gave with other companies,capital iq stands out for its work culture and not to forget the panoramic view from the 49th floor of the S&P building.If selected,i would surely like to work for Capital IQ...:)

Interview Questions
    • What kind of data analysis project have you done during your master's.   Answer Question
    • Draw the schema for the database project that you have mentioned in your resume.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2011.

It was a phone screening interview, I was asked the question about what I did in school. Some brain teaser, some statistics questions and some programming questions. I did not answer well for programming questions. The statistics question like regression and the brain teasers are not so hard. Unfortunately, they didnot continue with me.