S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.1

Architecture Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

4 round interviews, all were in person interviews. But that time it was for summer interns. But mostly they see how you present your thoughts clearly. Not very technical.

Interview Questions

• 2 rounds technical, 1 round "intelligence", 1 round project. Really easy questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online, had two phone screens and an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• There was one question on designing a class/set of classes which help to find the stock quote for a particular company. A method was provided which takes a sticker(String) as an input and gives the stock value(double). But this method was too expensive to call, so how would you optimize your solution(make the minimal number of calls to this method). Also the stock value returned should not be more than an hour old. There were subparts to this question, on caching the values and multithreading.   Answer Question
    • Given a tree and a value n, check if the sum of values on any path of the tree from root to a leaf equals to that value.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

I was called for a screening interview first which just asked about me and my resume. If they like you, you will to the next round with more phone interviews. Had three interviews for three separate teams engineer teams all working on different projects. I got the offer the same day as i interviewed for all three teams. Offer was for my choice of any of the teams so i chose the best one for me.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, weren't too technical. No specific coding questions as i guess they trust that you can do what they want.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Just take it. 28$ an hour.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I submitted my résumé through campus career fair, then received an email about a week later for an on-campus technical interview. The technical interview has a 30 minutes test on "Redesign the current [company financial filings] website" with some guidelines and requirements. And then it's another 30 minutes with the interviewer about the test, how you arrived to your answers, and about your résumé and experiences. A week later, during the spring break, I received an email from HR inviting me to attend their Super Day - four 30 minutes 1:1 interviews with BAs, they will ask questions they have encountered during their real projects. You don't need to have the perfect, correct answer, but you are expected to ask a lot of questions. Overall a pleasant experience with Capital IQ, and I'm still waiting for my final results, hope I can get the internship :)

Interview Questions

• Redesign the current [company financial filings] website, with a QA test plan.   Answer Question

Client Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview process is informal where team members try to get a sense of your general background, interests, and knowledge of the products offered. I sat with 3 different groups of two interviewers and all questions were fair and straight-forward.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Capital IQ and the clients we work with?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was a design test that included qa testing questions and erd. Second round included 3 interviews where design questions were asked

Database Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent resume through college recuirting, and got an interview invitation on campus. First round was given 30 minutes to finish a test, and spent another 30 minutes to go through your answer with one of their employees. Second round was on-site. There were three 1:1 interviews, all technical questions about Database. Not too hard. Waited for another 3 or 4 weeks, got a call from HR telling me I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• One weird question was about "How to buy data".   1 Answer

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through company website and I was sent an email with an interview dates and times. They invited me in for an interview and it was one-on-one interview. I was accepted for the second round interview which included meeting with 5 other people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about financial equations and formulas and if I had used them in any past financial forecasting. Also, asked me what it was.   Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume on our University job Postings and received a call for a telephonic interview after 2 weeks. Telephonic interview was for about 30 to 40 minutes. He asked me about myself, my past experience and some Database questions (about Indexes). Then within a week I was called onsite for 1:1 interviews. There where 3, 1 hour technical interviews. They told me to design some databases on white board and write some queries. All the 3 interviews went well. I got a call from HR next day morning, that I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Design a database...Will you use index, on what columns, why? Write queries ()complex queries with 'exists' and 'non exists' clause.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No. There was no HR interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

I heard about an intern opportunity through an acquaintance of mine. I contacted the company and submitted a resume and cover letter and received a response within a day or two. Every one who I interacted with in the company was very kind and courteous. The process consisted of multiple phone interviews. Even though I wasn't able to get an internship opportunity for the summer I will still keep in contact with the representatives as this is an incredible place to work.