S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

On-Campus: Written test followed by a follow-up in person interview.
    On-site:
    3 back to back technical interviews, 40-45 minutes each.
    Questions:
    1. Design "Undo" and "Redo" feature for a text editor.
    2. Given an integer array, return "1" if sum of any two numbers is zero.
    3. Use two dice to create a random number generator (0-15).
    4. What is a Race Condition?
    5. Given a continuous stream of characters, find the first non-repeating character.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Hyderābād (India)).

Interview

Hiring and interview process was held for so many candidates at a time and the first round was an written test which are on the basics of finance and second round was personal interview round in which they mainly asked about detail explanation of financial ratios.

Interview Questions

• Explain CAPM in detail.This is followed by some related questions   1 Answer

Tech QA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied at the company's website portal and got a mail for the interview on 21st November.
    The process consisted of the following rounds
    1. Aptitude Test.
    2. HR interview.
    3. Written subjective test.
    4. Technical interview.
    5. Another interview.

The first round is more of a form cum test round where you have to fill in some details and answer some easy logical, quantitative and English questions. The important thing here is to not miss out on any question as there's no negative marking. It's fairly easy.

The second round is the HR interview but it was mostly technical. Just basic questions about testing and what the profile is about and also what u know about the company.

The Third round consists of 10 subjective questions. Mostly are about the various types of testing and about writing test cases.

The fourth round is again an interview which they tell me is the manger level interview.

The above four rounds happened on the same day. I was told the result for the fourth round would be communicated to me within a week. It has been a week since then and i haven't heard from them so far. I guess it's their subtle way of saying, thanks but you haven't been selected for further rounds.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in September 2013.

Interview

Hiring Process:
    I got a call from Talent Acquisition Team.

They give me an overview about the company & about my role & responsibilities

Interview Process:

It took around 5-6 weeks & I gone through 5 technical interviews , 4 telephonic & 1 was face to face.

Telephonic round covers your basic Knowledge on your domain.Mine was for a Data Scientist,so they asked about Data Models & Extraction Techniques.Make sure to go through SQL.

Most questions were from my domain.

Face to Face was the most interesting & challenging one.They gave me a Complex Problem & asked me to design a Proof of Concept(POC) on it.
    It was a good healthy discussion on various real World Problems of Data Mining.The entire discussion was around an hour.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement Business Sense Identification in a Financial Document   1 Answer

Negotiation

S&P is a good brand in terms of pay-scale.Usually you don't have the need to negotiate.They pay you what you ask..but not all in hand...get ready for some bonus stuff too...:)

Database Administrator (Release Manager) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Delhi (India)) in January 2014.

Interview

Interview Process for experienced-
    Step 1- Got call for interview and gone through 2 telephonic technical interview .After clearing two rounds i got call for In-Person interview.

Step-2 Gone to Gurgaon.
    1) Written Test--For DBA there are four sections was mandatory.

Section 1(SQL Query)-
    Based on Sql queries. There was 4 tables related with primary and foreign key. Based on that 3 questions ,you have to solve. It was of moderate level.

Section 2(Data Modeling)--Total three questions
      Que 1- To Create index to fasten the search process based on 1st section tables.
      Que 2- Null values allowed for Primary and unique key.
      Que 3- Based on ER diagram.(Simple if you have revised)

Section 3- General knowledge about system(Description Type --8 questions)
    Que 1- What is eventlog
    Que 2- What is Registry
    Que 3- Difference between Firewall and Antivirus
    Que 4- What is utf-8
    Que 5- What is difference between 32bit and 64 bit computer
    Que 6-Hot to install software on Linux
    Que 7- Based on Excel Sheet- 2 Snapshots. 1st snapshot -data was unorganized format ans 2nd snapshot was organised using Excel sheet. They asked for Excel property.
    Que 8- When do use virtual machines

Section 4- DBA question(8-10 questions)
    Some based on RAID(1) , clustered index(2 que), underlying database processes(1), database backup(1).How to increase database agent memory(sp_reconfig)(1)

others i don't remember.

Then in last round Director level interview.
    2 Expert persons will ask question on your DBA level and release management.
    Some questions was like--tell me about yourself,daily challenges faced, what do you daily do, performance tuning ,high availability etc.

This was the end of the process.
    They will call you in one or two weeks if selected.

It was totally very pleasant experience and HR was very supporting in each phase.

Interview Questions

• Last round --Video conferencing.
      They will test your knowledge on every question.

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Hyderābād (India)).

Interview

i applied through recruitment process.they mentioned 4 profiles SE,DBA, quality analyst, business analyst. i applied for SE n DBA. first we had ap replacement talk, whch was worst, they dint even make a presentation.
    we had written test for each profile, followed by a GD, followed by three interviews, 2 tech n 1 HR. i cud mak till 1st interview round.
    writtten test was easy. it contained aptitude qsns, c, c++ questions, DBA part had some easy queries n query on date manipulation were bit hard.
    interview wasn't that gud.
    question were very random.
    about TCP IP from networks
    he asked me simple query whch i cud answer, but one of the interviewer (who cudn't even speak english properly) was constantly interupting me.
    mirrror image of binary tree, i answered it
    count no of leaf nodes in binary tree.
    a complex program was asked inn written test he asked me if i hav discussed it with my friends n asked me to re write the program. i cudnt write it, but cud explain my approach, but he inststed to write the code.

Interview Questions

• how does google search engine work? imean when u type the search string what actually happens. i tried to explain him but in vain.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Noida (India)).

Interview

Applied through campus hiring process. The first step was the aptitude test which was too easy but they eliminated people on the basis of statement of purpose that was another hidden section in the information about the employee.

The next step was the hr interview which was nothing but confidence testing round lasting for 3-5 minutes.

The third stage is the technical test where purely finance and logical questions are asked.

The fourth one is the final managers interview where the person is just tested on his convincing skill to do a boring job. Prepare for that.

Senior Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview process was extensive, questions were based on your concept, approach for solving problem. Looking for vision of a person. Expertise in your area. Depth knowledge.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate since profile that was offered was awesome. What I demanded, they offered while making some part of it as a variable component.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in December 2013.

Interview

The Capital IQ interview process has 5 steps – Every round is elimination round.

1st step is an IQ test - written test (Math and Vocab – aptitude exam)

2nd step is HR interview. Questions may include definitions of mergers and acquisitions and more finance/investment questions.

3rd step: Technical exam written for 60 mins /90 mins (finance basics and merger and acquisitions)

The above 3 rounds can happen on the same day. Atleast 2 rounds will happen in same day.

If you clear the first 3 rounds. You would get call for the next round in 7-8 working days (max)

4-5 rounds would be personal interview – Director Rounds.

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through a campus recruiter. The process took three weeks, and I was interviewed by two people, a product consultant and a account manager. The interviewers were very straight forward about the position description, the hiring process, and the company culture. Most of the interview was spent discussing my major and qualifications, and there were very few behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• I do not come from a finance background, so the interviewers really grilled me on how my background fit into the job position.   Answer Question