S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions & Reviews

222 interviews

3.1

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

got interview through on campus job fair. The interview is 30min written test followed by a 30min of 1:1 interview. Mainly discuss the answers to the questions. Questions are about ER design, write a short java code and some complicated SQL queries given several schemas. The interviewer is helpful and very nice. Just got invitation to go to NYC for final round.

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2011.

It was a phone screening interview, I was asked the question about what I did in school. Some brain teaser, some statistics questions and some programming questions. I did not answer well for programming questions. The statistics question like regression and the brain teasers are not so hard. Unfortunately, they didnot continue with me.

Data Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2011.

Applied for the Data Business Analyst position a month ago and received a call for face to face interview directly at their New York office.The interview consisted of three 1:1 interviews.Most of the questions asked focused on the projects i mentioned in my resume.Interview lasted around 90 minutes.They said they'll get in touch in the coming weeks.Am now waiting for their response.The work environment is pretty chilled out and most of them working are under their 30's.Of all the interviews i gave with other companies,capital iq stands out for its work culture and not to forget the panoramic view from the 49th floor of the S&P building.If selected,i would surely like to work for Capital IQ...:)

Interview Questions
    • What kind of data analysis project have you done during your master's.   Answer Question
    • Draw the schema for the database project that you have mentioned in your resume.   Answer Question

Client Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

Relaxed New York office, consisted of 4 half an hour interviews and a presentation. Convenient and efficient. Usually consists of 15 people interviewing on the same day.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2011.

Took a test on designing the layout of a website for listing the results of a search and for business model relationships. Then discussed with two different business analysts about how i reached the answers. Afterwards, standard interview questions were asked. Tried to follow up with emails on the status of the interview, but there was no response after a month.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would solve multi-threading in accessing nodes of a binary tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2011.

first interview:
    - 30 minute test on coding, designing a website interface, and designing a database
    - 1:1 interview mostly discussing the test & explaining your answers
    second interview:
    second interview (NYC):
    - lasted about 2 hours
    - 30 minute 1:1 interviews with Business Analysts
    - you are asked design questions, to show/explain work that you've done
    - very relaxed/conversational

Interview Questions
    • If you could collect and display data/information about any area of your life, what would you do/how would you display & present it in a useful way   Answer Question

Client Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I went to a career fair where I submitted my resume and got a first round interview. I had a one on one behavioral interview at my university. All the questions were behavioral and mostly about my resume. It was very laid back and casual. About two weeks later I got called back for a second round interview in NY and I am going to that in a week.

Associate Financial Modeling Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2011.

internal referral
    received e-mail within a week inviting me in

3 interviews, roughly 30 min each, first one included a 5 min overview of the business
    everyone truly nice, young atmosphere oldest person in the group was in early 30s, looked like great place to work

interviews themselves:

5 min of "tell me about yourself"
    no other behavioral questions, went straight to technical questions
    several questions on effect of an event on all financial statements i.e. gain on asset disposal
    a few straight-forward market-related math questions i.e up 15% one day, down 15% next, what is return?
    several "What is beta, what is r2, how do you do DCF, what is WACC"

you have to know your financial statements!!

answered most correctly, missed roughly 3-4 out of roughly 15-20 technical questions, though it went well, expected phone call back , nothing for a week, wrote email to HR after 10 days, no response, wrote again after~16 days, no response, wrote a person who i interview with who seemed very nice and that I got along with, no response...

disappointed, expected more and would have loved to work there...

Interview Questions
    • a few quick math questions (told most people miss them) not difficult, just focus, and don't fall into the traps
      i.e. stock went up 10% today, down 10% tomorrow , what is holding period return?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2011.

I received an interview after meeting Capital IQ at my campus career fair. Relatively quickly, I got a first round interview which consisted of a half an hour one on one interview. A week later, I got invited to an on-site interview in NY. I thought the on-site interview was more personality based to determine if you fit in their culture. They told me that they would get back to a week and so far it has been a week and they still have not gotten back to me. Another colleauge of mine interviewed earlier than I have & still has not heard back as well.

Interview Questions
    • What websites do you visit daily & what functionality's would you add or improve   Answer Question
    • Draw the layout of your favorite website & point out the pros and cons of it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I dropped my resume off at the campus career fair. Was contacted afterward to take a test at the school; after completing the test I was taken to their headquarters in New York. I interview with 3 people, it didn't go well, because their questions were either questioning projects I'd written or write extremely simple code, so there wasn't much to talk about when they're expecting some kind of thinking process that really is unnecessary.