S&P Capital IQ

Updated Nov 15, 2014
Updated Nov 15, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

The first round interview was a simple behavioral interview on campus. The second round consisted of a Superday with 4 one on one interviews, a demo of the program, and a tour. The one on one interviews went through your resume. Some emphasized the extracurriculars, while others focused on the work experience. Everyone in the office was great and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you a better candidate than the other candidates?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

Capital IQ boasts an extremely cool group of people...I felt very comfortable in the preliminary interview, and during super day interviews. The company culture seems incredible, definitely a great place to work.

I applied through a school employment site, interviewed on campus, then interviewed on site for super day.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I dropped my resume off at the campus career fair. Was contacted afterward to take a test at the school; after completing the test I was taken to their headquarters in New York. I interview with 3 people, it didn't go well, because their questions were either questioning projects I'd written or write extremely simple code, so there wasn't much to talk about when they're expecting some kind of thinking process that really is unnecessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I went to a career fair where I submitted my resume and got a first round interview. I had a one on one behavioral interview at my university. All the questions were behavioral and mostly about my resume. It was very laid back and casual. About two weeks later I got called back for a second round interview in NY and I am going to that in a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Relaxed New York office, consisted of 4 half an hour interviews and a presentation. Convenient and efficient. Usually consists of 15 people interviewing on the same day.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I applied to Capital IQ through my university's career fair. Then I was given an on-campus interview. The first half of the interview was a skills test. The recruiter walked in, handed me the test, and gave me 30 minutes to complete. It consisted of 5 technical questions pertaining to data structures and bit manipulation.

Interview Questions
    • Given a tree, create a function for a getting a sub-tree given P and K.   Answer Question

Associate Financial Modeling Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2011.

internal referral
    received e-mail within a week inviting me in

3 interviews, roughly 30 min each, first one included a 5 min overview of the business
    everyone truly nice, young atmosphere oldest person in the group was in early 30s, looked like great place to work

interviews themselves:

5 min of "tell me about yourself"
    no other behavioral questions, went straight to technical questions
    several questions on effect of an event on all financial statements i.e. gain on asset disposal
    a few straight-forward market-related math questions i.e up 15% one day, down 15% next, what is return?
    several "What is beta, what is r2, how do you do DCF, what is WACC"

you have to know your financial statements!!

answered most correctly, missed roughly 3-4 out of roughly 15-20 technical questions, though it went well, expected phone call back , nothing for a week, wrote email to HR after 10 days, no response, wrote again after~16 days, no response, wrote a person who i interview with who seemed very nice and that I got along with, no response...

disappointed, expected more and would have loved to work there...

Interview Questions
    • a few quick math questions (told most people miss them) not difficult, just focus, and don't fall into the traps
      i.e. stock went up 10% today, down 10% tomorrow , what is holding period return?
        Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2010.

The process was fine, seems like a great company. 3 interviews back to back with lunch in between. Young people, asked reasonable questions, and were nice about it.

Interview Questions
    • Create a sample database (table structure) of a basic version of imdb.com. Find the total sum of money that movies made with Mel Gibson as an actor that were released during the third week of February.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2010.

Clarifi starts with a phone interview with their director of Engineering. That is followed by a technical phone interview where you solve a small coding problem for them. Then they bring you in for a full day interview. For the most part the people there are nice, intelligent people who I wouldn't mind working with. One of the engineers I met there, though, was an absolute jerk with a horrible coding style. My experience with this engineer alone made me know that there was no way I would work there. The interview with him was, without a doubt, the worst experience I have ever had interviewing at a company.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2010.

Campus Interview, lasted for one hour, finished the problem set they gave in half a hour and then discussed the solution with the interviewee. User interface design

Interview Questions
    • Design the user interface for a given website with some descriptions   View Answer