S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

First, it was a phone interview. Then, it was 3 more in-person interviews. Like everyone else has mentioned on this site, they ask for technical and basic finance questions, so it would be good to brush up on those.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through the financial statements   1 Answer
    • What are one of the downsides to using EBITDA?   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall process took three months. Applied in February and received a call early April. One phone interview, pretty straight forward. Got an email the same day asking to come in for an interview. Interviewed by Senior QA and Skype conference call with their boss. A day after the in person interview, got an offer

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at the school Career Fair and handed him my resume. Then applied online. Day 3, I got a call that my resume is picked for first rounds of interview on School campus. Day 9, First rounds: There was a written test, and discussion with two recruiters following it. The exam tests on database design, sql queries and basic algorithm skill. I couldn't complete the test on time (we were given only 20 minutes). The interviewers discussed the exam content and helped solving the queries that I did not. They were looking for approach. Day 16, I got a call for final rounds at office, NY Day 22: There was a reception with "one employee per every intern candidate" and had very good opportunity to network with all. There were details given and ice-breaker events Day 23: There were three rounds of interview(1, 2 and 1 interviewers in each round). All four of them were super cool and helpful. I was even provided manuals for a function I was supposed to use in solving a query. Again, they tested skills on design, knowledge of databases, and Querying Day 26: I got a call from HR that I got selected. Friday was interview and they updated selection on Monday. It was amazingly quick.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a scenario and normalize. (Realize anomalies and redundancies) 2. SQL queries (Aggregation, rank, etc.) 3. Database knowledge (Keys, Indexes, all questions included a "when do you do it or not do it")   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Went through 6 interviews and then 1 person twice over a 3 month period. I was never called back, I had to call to be told they were going in another direction. Communication from the company was good at first but then when it became clear I wasn't getting the role. all communication stopped. I thought that was unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions, most related to previous employment and background, etc.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview was a phone screen, which covered the basics of object oriented design. Second interview came a couple months later and was on site with three individual engineers. This interview was bit more in debt, it involved 3 questions related to algorithm design, application design and a high level implementation the database objects required to store the applications data with the correct normalization. The questions were quite manageable and came from regular scenarios which would occur in most enterprise solutions. The last interview was over the phone and was strategically focused on the technologies that position required. Mostly focus on SOA and the Microsoft stack which can be used to build these type of solutions.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked about database isolation and optimizing a process which will have a high level of concurrency. This was not difficult for me but was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a pending offer and they matched it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Three interviews:- 1. First Round(phone) :HR based interviews with general HR questions and provided a coding Quiz(Fraction point). 2. Second Round(phone): Interview with the hiring manager, general questions about my experience and courses taken at school. Discussed about my projects and how I could improve it now, and also went over the quiz. 3. Third Round (on-site) : 3 Round interviews with 4 different people(two in the last round). First round asked general question for 10 mins and provided to a coding quiz to be solved in 45 mins. It had 4 questions ,all Data structures and OOPS based. 1.Least Common Ancestor in a BST. 2. Merging two sorted lists. 3.How to Designing cache to return data faster (solution-hashtable) and how to improve it with multiple requests(multi-threading..) 4. How to design vending Machine. Second Round, the interviewer went over each solution and asked questions around the problem, improvements, and running times. Third Round, two interviewers went over OOP, Design Patter, multi-threading, etc. Asked me to design and write codes for a Deck of cards for Blackjack, and some features of BlackJack Game(shuffling, players, giving cards to each player, etc).

Interview Questions

• Nothing too hard, brush up on data structures and OOP.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated starting date.

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it ! Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot). On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated. I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer. **S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones. 1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code) 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights. - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries 3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite 4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100. ****In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest. Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it. Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply. After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails. AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings. At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS. Hope this helps !

Interview Questions

• 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

2 weeks after the application I had phone interview with an HR. Questions were about work authorization, nothing about the job. Next week I had an interview at the office one by one with the team director, VP of marketing and another team director. They were all so nice. I thought it went well. I received a really kind rejection email that the director explained that they found someone else who has a technical skill that is important for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? What value can you bring to our team? Would you be able to adjust this company since you never had an experience at a big corporation before?   Answer Question

Quantitative Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter, had a phone interview with hiring manager. Was called for an onsite interview in New York with four team members. good experience overall, everyone was really nice. Recruiter was very helpful throughout and got feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview followed my small talk and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Leveraged Loan Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

One phone interview. Pleasant woman although I felt the conversation was extremely formal and she wasn't particularly interested in talking about the position which I was interested in learning more about. I was told if the company was interested I'd be called in but I wasn't. I'm wondering what knocked me off in that screening call. I don't think she like my answer to "What interests you in the position?"

Interview Questions

• "What interests you in the position?"   1 Answer