S&P Capital IQ

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview Details – On-Campus: Written test followed by a follow-up in person interview.
On-site:
3 back to back technical interviews, 40-45 minutes each.
Questions:
1. Design "Undo" and "Redo" feature for a text editor.
2. Given an integer array, return "1" if sum of any two numbers is zero.
3. Use two dice to create a random number generator (0-15).
4. What is a Race Condition?
5. Given a continuous stream of characters, find the first non-repeating character.

Interview Question – Design "Undo" and "Redo" feature for a text editor.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview. Took 30 minutes paper test and then went through all the questions with the interviewer. Some follow-up questions from the interviewers are not easy compare to the written test.

Interview Question – Binary tree path sum
find a linkedlist's nth to last node
Cache design
DB design
count the number of bits in a char
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's career web site before 2009, and was contacted for the first round interview.

First round - Two technical interviews with software engineers. We were given a paper test with 5 questions that have been stated close to verbatim in previous reviews (find closest common parent of two nodes, reverse a linked list, count # of bits in a byte, db schema, cache design). The interviews are essentially a review of that paper test, and you may be asked to answer a slightly-modified version on one of the questions.

Final round - Two technical interviews and one HR interview. Both of the interviewers were senior engineers, and they asked different types of programming questions that are more or less on par with the paper test in the first round. The HR interview was very relaxed.

During the process, you eat lunch with other employees (with no connection to the interviewers) and may ask questions. My process was quick; I was contacted the day of the first round interview for the final round invite, and I was contacted a week after the final round with an offer and accepted.

Interview Question – -Finding the lowest common parent of two nodes can be tricky
-Detecting a palindrome (this was asked to nearly every candidate when I was applying)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to push back start-time, and slightly change the compensation.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview Details – This varies depending on the level - be prepared to answer core questions about Microsoft tools like C# and SQL Server

Solid knowledge of OO design principles is important and try to be concise as some interviewers will write you off if you keep jabbering.

I did not come across any general knowledge or other non technical questions but it is recommended that you brush up on what's happening in the industry to show that you are motivated.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much. I liked their offer

College Park, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to Capital IQ through my university's career fair. Then I was given an on-campus interview. The first half of the interview was a skills test. The recruiter walked in, handed me the test, and gave me 30 minutes to complete. It consisted of 5 technical questions pertaining to data structures and bit manipulation.

Interview Question – Given a tree, create a function for a getting a sub-tree given P and K.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in April 2012.

Interview Details – There was an initial paper exam consisting of five question which were not particularly hard.
They included
i. write a function that gets the number of set bits in a character
ii. Reverse a linkedlist
iii. Find the least common ancestor in a tree

These questions are used as a conversation starter for the actual interview.
It is important that you get them right but I doubt if they are of any great consequence

Interview Question – Find the middle of a LinkedList   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was a bit low compared to other offers

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

Interview Details – I dropped my resume off at the campus career fair. Was contacted afterward to take a test at the school; after completing the test I was taken to their headquarters in New York. I interview with 3 people, it didn't go well, because their questions were either questioning projects I'd written or write extremely simple code, so there wasn't much to talk about when they're expecting some kind of thinking process that really is unnecessary.

Interview Question – Draw a circle (write the code to do it)   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2010.

Interview Details – You were given A skills assesment which you had 20 minutes to complete. After the exam was over, A interviewer came into the room to discuss what you did and the thought process you had doing it.

Interview Question – Reverse a Singular Linked List?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2010.

Interview Details – 30 mins paper test (all about algorithms design) before the 1:1 interview. And the 1:1 interview is mostly about the test you just took. Also, it related some of your experience. Make sure you got all the details on your resume and be able to explain fluently.
No behavioural question was asked.
Technical questions included topics: data structure( array, linked list, hash table, etc), algorithm (many many), DB design (normalization or multi-relationship), pick a language you like and write a short program they gave you.

Interview Question – algorithm to reverse a singly linkedlist. (most efficient way)   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2008.

Interview Details – They are looking for social people. I knew all of their technical questions, but the feedback that I got from a friend working there was that I am not sociable enough. I asked one of the interviewers, but he said it was my technical side that didn't get me the job.

Interview Question – Reverse a linked list.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at S&P Capital IQ

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!

S&P Capital IQ Videos

S&P Capital IQ – Why Work for Us?

About S&P Capital IQ S&P Capital IQ is the powerful new combination of offerings previously provided by Capital IQ, elements of S&P including Global Credit Portal and MarketScope Advisor, enterprise solutions such as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at S&P Capital IQ Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by S&P Capital IQ employees and interview candidates.