S&P Capital IQ Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014

3.4

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

I applied online on my school's Job link. It is an on campus interview and I was asked to finish 4 programming questions in 30 mins. And the interviewer went through those 4 question with me together.

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Capital IQ

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

On-Campus: Written test followed by a follow-up in person interview.
    On-site:
    3 back to back technical interviews, 40-45 minutes each.
    Questions:
    1. Design "Undo" and "Redo" feature for a text editor.
    2. Given an integer array, return "1" if sum of any two numbers is zero.
    3. Use two dice to create a random number generator (0-15).
    4. What is a Race Condition?
    5. Given a continuous stream of characters, find the first non-repeating character.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2013.

Had an on campus interview. Took 30 minutes paper test and then went through all the questions with the interviewer. Some follow-up questions from the interviewers are not easy compare to the written test.

Interview Questions
    • Binary tree path sum
      find a linkedlist's nth to last node
      Cache design
      DB design
      count the number of bits in a char
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

I applied through my university's career web site before 2009, and was contacted for the first round interview.

First round - Two technical interviews with software engineers. We were given a paper test with 5 questions that have been stated close to verbatim in previous reviews (find closest common parent of two nodes, reverse a linked list, count # of bits in a byte, db schema, cache design). The interviews are essentially a review of that paper test, and you may be asked to answer a slightly-modified version on one of the questions.

Final round - Two technical interviews and one HR interview. Both of the interviewers were senior engineers, and they asked different types of programming questions that are more or less on par with the paper test in the first round. The HR interview was very relaxed.

During the process, you eat lunch with other employees (with no connection to the interviewers) and may ask questions. My process was quick; I was contacted the day of the first round interview for the final round invite, and I was contacted a week after the final round with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • -Finding the lowest common parent of two nodes can be tricky
      -Detecting a palindrome (this was asked to nearly every candidate when I was applying)
        Answer Question
    Was able to push back start-time, and slightly change the compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

This varies depending on the level - be prepared to answer core questions about Microsoft tools like C# and SQL Server

Solid knowledge of OO design principles is important and try to be concise as some interviewers will write you off if you keep jabbering.

I did not come across any general knowledge or other non technical questions but it is recommended that you brush up on what's happening in the industry to show that you are motivated.

Interview Questions
    Not much. I liked their offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in April 2012.

There was an initial paper exam consisting of five question which were not particularly hard.
    They included
    i. write a function that gets the number of set bits in a character
    ii. Reverse a linkedlist
    iii. Find the least common ancestor in a tree

These questions are used as a conversation starter for the actual interview.
    It is important that you get them right but I doubt if they are of any great consequence

Interview Questions

The pay was a bit low compared to other offers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I applied to Capital IQ through my university's career fair. Then I was given an on-campus interview. The first half of the interview was a skills test. The recruiter walked in, handed me the test, and gave me 30 minutes to complete. It consisted of 5 technical questions pertaining to data structures and bit manipulation.

Interview Questions
    • Given a tree, create a function for a getting a sub-tree given P and K.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I dropped my resume off at the campus career fair. Was contacted afterward to take a test at the school; after completing the test I was taken to their headquarters in New York. I interview with 3 people, it didn't go well, because their questions were either questioning projects I'd written or write extremely simple code, so there wasn't much to talk about when they're expecting some kind of thinking process that really is unnecessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2010.

You were given A skills assesment which you had 20 minutes to complete. After the exam was over, A interviewer came into the room to discuss what you did and the thought process you had doing it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2010.

30 mins paper test (all about algorithms design) before the 1:1 interview. And the 1:1 interview is mostly about the test you just took. Also, it related some of your experience. Make sure you got all the details on your resume and be able to explain fluently.
    No behavioural question was asked.
    Technical questions included topics: data structure( array, linked list, hash table, etc), algorithm (many many), DB design (normalization or multi-relationship), pick a language you like and write a short program they gave you.

Interview Questions
    • algorithm to reverse a singly linkedlist. (most efficient way)   View Answer