S&P Capital IQ

Updated Nov 15, 2014

3.3

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

At first I spoke to HR, very brusk. Asking about past experience, expected pay, what technologies I was most comfertable with. Then I had a phone interview with team lead. Very friendly, looking for lots of questions. Scheduled a technical interview. Basic array manipulation and algorythms questions. Said they were not sure I was a good fit yet but that they looked forward to heering from me in the future with more experience under my belt.

Interview Questions
  • In an nxn grid of ones and zeros, turn all squares in a manhattan distance of k from any 1 into 1s, yielding an algorythm of complexity O(n2).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Capital IQ

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

I applied through my university's career web site before 2009, and was contacted for the first round interview.

First round - Two technical interviews with software engineers. We were given a paper test with 5 questions that have been stated close to verbatim in previous reviews (find closest common parent of two nodes, reverse a linked list, count # of bits in a byte, db schema, cache design). The interviews are essentially a review of that paper test, and you may be asked to answer a slightly-modified version on one of the questions.

Final round - Two technical interviews and one HR interview. Both of the interviewers were senior engineers, and they asked different types of programming questions that are more or less on par with the paper test in the first round. The HR interview was very relaxed.

During the process, you eat lunch with other employees (with no connection to the interviewers) and may ask questions. My process was quick; I was contacted the day of the first round interview for the final round invite, and I was contacted a week after the final round with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • -Finding the lowest common parent of two nodes can be tricky
      -Detecting a palindrome (this was asked to nearly every candidate when I was applying)

Answer Question
    Was able to push back start-time, and slightly change the compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2013.

Had an on campus interview. Took 30 minutes paper test and then went through all the questions with the interviewer. Some follow-up questions from the interviewers are not easy compare to the written test.

Interview Questions
    • Binary tree path sum
      find a linkedlist's nth to last node
      Cache design
      DB design
      count the number of bits in a char

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

The placement process had 4 rounds. 1st one was the aptitude round which had questions from verbal and quant. Next was a written technical test. Then there was a technical interview followed by a telephonic interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

First interview was a phone screen, which covered the basics of object oriented design. Second interview came a couple months later and was on site with three individual engineers. This interview was bit more in debt, it involved 3 questions related to algorithm design, application design and a high level implementation the database objects required to store the applications data with the correct normalization. The questions were quite manageable and came from regular scenarios which would occur in most enterprise solutions. The last interview was over the phone and was strategically focused on the technologies that position required. Mostly focus on SOA and the Microsoft stack which can be used to build these type of solutions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked about database isolation and optimizing a process which will have a high level of concurrency. This was not difficult for me but was unexpected.   Answer Question
    I had a pending offer and they matched it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Three interviews:-
    1. First Round(phone) :HR based interviews with general HR questions and provided a coding Quiz(Fraction point).

2. Second Round(phone): Interview with the hiring manager, general questions about my experience and courses taken at school. Discussed about my projects and how I could improve it now, and also went over the quiz.

3. Third Round (on-site) : 3 Round interviews with 4 different people(two in the last round). First round asked general question for 10 mins and provided to a coding quiz to be solved in 45 mins.

It had 4 questions ,all Data structures and OOPS based.
    1.Least Common Ancestor in a BST.
    2. Merging two sorted lists.
    3.How to Designing cache to return data faster (solution-hashtable) and how to improve it with multiple requests(multi-threading..)
    4. How to design vending Machine.

Second Round, the interviewer went over each solution and asked questions around the problem, improvements, and running times.

Third Round, two interviewers went over OOP, Design Patter, multi-threading, etc. Asked me to design and write codes for a Deck of cards for Blackjack, and some features of BlackJack Game(shuffling, players, giving cards to each player, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard, brush up on data structures and OOP.   Answer Question
    Negotiated starting date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

S&P Capital IQ typically hires from campuses.

First round consists of a written test that test analytical, programming abilities and database knowledge. Database is the heart of the work here and hands-on knowledge is highly valued. Questions will be asked on Relevant work from the resume

Interview Questions
    • How your term project will help in our business   View Answer
    Through campus. No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

3 Rounds of Interview: 2 Technical & 1 HR.. First round comprised of resume based questions and couple of small algorithm based ones.. Second round was completely on Algorithms

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2013.

Mostly OOPs concepts are asked. Unnecessary long interviews.
    1) 1st round ppt
    2) Written test(DB,Algo and some random sections)
    3) 2nd round 1:1 interview which last for 3 hours.
    4) Almost same as second round.
    5) HR round.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are pretty much OK. Some puzzles are asked which are kind of interesting if you haven't done before.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in August 2014.

Applied through campus placements. There were supposed to be 5 rounds. First Aptitude then Technical Aptitude and then 3 interviews. But in my case there was only one interview. The whole process got over in an hour. The first aptitude had a few questions on quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning; a section on programming related MCQs and another on database related questions. It seems quite difficult but surprisingly got through. The second test had 2 sections One programming related where we could answer using logic/pseudo code/actual code/algorithm and another with database queries. Even this was difficult. Infact the Interview was pretty chilled out. General Questions based on Linked lists, queries, indexers, trees,etc. they were more interested in the approach rather than actual knowledge. In all a pretty good experience