S&P Capital IQ Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

25 interviews

3.4

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

At first I spoke to HR, very brusk. Asking about past experience, expected pay, what technologies I was most comfertable with. Then I had a phone interview with team lead. Very friendly, looking for lots of questions. Scheduled a technical interview. Basic array manipulation and algorythms questions. Said they were not sure I was a good fit yet but that they looked forward to heering from me in the future with more experience under my belt.

Interview Questions
  • In an nxn grid of ones and zeros, turn all squares in a manhattan distance of k from any 1 into 1s, yielding an algorythm of complexity O(n2).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Capital IQ

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2013.

Had an on campus interview. Took 30 minutes paper test and then went through all the questions with the interviewer. Some follow-up questions from the interviewers are not easy compare to the written test.

Interview Questions
    • Binary tree path sum
      find a linkedlist's nth to last node
      Cache design
      DB design
      count the number of bits in a char
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

I applied through my university's career web site before 2009, and was contacted for the first round interview.

First round - Two technical interviews with software engineers. We were given a paper test with 5 questions that have been stated close to verbatim in previous reviews (find closest common parent of two nodes, reverse a linked list, count # of bits in a byte, db schema, cache design). The interviews are essentially a review of that paper test, and you may be asked to answer a slightly-modified version on one of the questions.

Final round - Two technical interviews and one HR interview. Both of the interviewers were senior engineers, and they asked different types of programming questions that are more or less on par with the paper test in the first round. The HR interview was very relaxed.

During the process, you eat lunch with other employees (with no connection to the interviewers) and may ask questions. My process was quick; I was contacted the day of the first round interview for the final round invite, and I was contacted a week after the final round with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • -Finding the lowest common parent of two nodes can be tricky
      -Detecting a palindrome (this was asked to nearly every candidate when I was applying)
        Answer Question
    Was able to push back start-time, and slightly change the compensation.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2010.

I dropped in my resume at my University's Career Fair in the morning and they called me the same evening. Interview was on campus the next day. There was a written round for 30 minutes followed by a 1:1 interview for about 15 minutes with a Capital IQ Software developer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

This varies depending on the level - be prepared to answer core questions about Microsoft tools like C# and SQL Server

Solid knowledge of OO design principles is important and try to be concise as some interviewers will write you off if you keep jabbering.

I did not come across any general knowledge or other non technical questions but it is recommended that you brush up on what's happening in the industry to show that you are motivated.

Interview Questions
    Not much. I liked their offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2013.

One Written( 90 Min- 20 Apti- 20 C and DS- 20 DMBS Queries) MCQs and Subjective +
    3 Technical Intervies mailny focusing on DBMS + one HR round

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2008.

They are looking for social people. I knew all of their technical questions, but the feedback that I got from a friend working there was that I am not sociable enough. I asked one of the interviewers, but he said it was my technical side that didn't get me the job.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in April 2012.

2 intern positions.
    duration 6 months, i.e. 7th semester.
    telephonic intervw.
    main topics asked in it were from dbms, os, and my self initiated projects.
    2 iq field questions, duration of intervw 45 minoutes.
    algorithms and computer architecture were for side questions.2 intern positions.
    duration 6 months, i.e. 7th semester.
    telephonic intervw.
    main topics asked in it were from dbms, os, and my self initiated projects.
    2 iq field questions, duration of intervw 45 minoutes.
    algorithms and computer architecture were for side questions

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

Written test consisting of 10 questions (reverse linked list,bits set in a byte,least common ancestor,some db and caching design). One coding test on the computer .Three face to face rounds . I think they have pretty much standard interview process.Interviewers come prepared with those questions and if you answer them correctly then you are done. I'm saying this because they were asking about different software development life cycles ,architectural patterns etc which most of the people don't use in their day to day work. This is irrespective of the experience. Would not suggest an experienced guy with 5+ years to attend . They don't have a big setup , so growth would be stagnant. Most of the people seem to be recent college grads.

Interview Questions
    • reverse a linked list , surprisingly every interviewer is interested in this silly question   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2011.

I hand in my resume at university career fair. After a month, I was notified by career center that I was selected to attend on campus interview. It's one hour 1-1 interview. I was told to take a paper test first which has 5 coding question including algorithm, database design, class design. The guy interviewed me is a software engineer. He went through my answers with me, and then asked some questions on my resume. I skewed it because I wasn't able to answer the question on algorithm.

Interview Questions

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!