S&P Capital IQ Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2014

3.4

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

At first I spoke to HR, very brusk. Asking about past experience, expected pay, what technologies I was most comfertable with. Then I had a phone interview with team lead. Very friendly, looking for lots of questions. Scheduled a technical interview. Basic array manipulation and algorythms questions. Said they were not sure I was a good fit yet but that they looked forward to heering from me in the future with more experience under my belt.

Interview Questions
  • In an nxn grid of ones and zeros, turn all squares in a manhattan distance of k from any 1 into 1s, yielding an algorythm of complexity O(n2).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Capital IQ

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2013.

Had an on campus interview. Took 30 minutes paper test and then went through all the questions with the interviewer. Some follow-up questions from the interviewers are not easy compare to the written test.

Interview Questions
    • Binary tree path sum
      find a linkedlist's nth to last node
      Cache design
      DB design
      count the number of bits in a char
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

I applied through my university's career web site before 2009, and was contacted for the first round interview.

First round - Two technical interviews with software engineers. We were given a paper test with 5 questions that have been stated close to verbatim in previous reviews (find closest common parent of two nodes, reverse a linked list, count # of bits in a byte, db schema, cache design). The interviews are essentially a review of that paper test, and you may be asked to answer a slightly-modified version on one of the questions.

Final round - Two technical interviews and one HR interview. Both of the interviewers were senior engineers, and they asked different types of programming questions that are more or less on par with the paper test in the first round. The HR interview was very relaxed.

During the process, you eat lunch with other employees (with no connection to the interviewers) and may ask questions. My process was quick; I was contacted the day of the first round interview for the final round invite, and I was contacted a week after the final round with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • -Finding the lowest common parent of two nodes can be tricky
      -Detecting a palindrome (this was asked to nearly every candidate when I was applying)
        Answer Question
    Was able to push back start-time, and slightly change the compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

3 Rounds of Interview: 2 Technical & 1 HR.. First round comprised of resume based questions and couple of small algorithm based ones.. Second round was completely on Algorithms

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

S&P Capital IQ typically hires from campuses.

First round consists of a written test that test analytical, programming abilities and database knowledge. Database is the heart of the work here and hands-on knowledge is highly valued. Questions will be asked on Relevant work from the resume

Interview Questions
    • How your term project will help in our business   View Answer
    Through campus. No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2013.

One Written( 90 Min- 20 Apti- 20 C and DS- 20 DMBS Queries) MCQs and Subjective +
    3 Technical Intervies mailny focusing on DBMS + one HR round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in January 2013.

Mostly OOPs concepts are asked. Unnecessary long interviews.
    1) 1st round ppt
    2) Written test(DB,Algo and some random sections)
    3) 2nd round 1:1 interview which last for 3 hours.
    4) Almost same as second round.
    5) HR round.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are pretty much OK. Some puzzles are asked which are kind of interesting if you haven't done before.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in September 2010.

I dropped in my resume at my University's Career Fair in the morning and they called me the same evening. Interview was on campus the next day. There was a written round for 30 minutes followed by a 1:1 interview for about 15 minutes with a Capital IQ Software developer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

I dropped my resume off at the campus career fair. Was contacted afterward to take a test at the school; after completing the test I was taken to their headquarters in New York. I interview with 3 people, it didn't go well, because their questions were either questioning projects I'd written or write extremely simple code, so there wasn't much to talk about when they're expecting some kind of thinking process that really is unnecessary.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2011.

I hand in my resume at university career fair. After a month, I was notified by career center that I was selected to attend on campus interview. It's one hour 1-1 interview. I was told to take a paper test first which has 5 coding question including algorithm, database design, class design. The guy interviewed me is a software engineer. He went through my answers with me, and then asked some questions on my resume. I skewed it because I wasn't able to answer the question on algorithm.

Interview Questions

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!