S&P Ratings Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2014

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Ratings in April 2011.

Initial communications just through a connection with a recruiter. They use Kelly Services to hire all their temporary employees like interns. I was only to have a phone interview and a 1:1 interview in person, but ended up getting the offer without the 1:1 but everyone else had to. I'm not sure why.

Structured Credit Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Ratings in August 2011.

Interview at 55 Water Street with five people. Three of the people that interviewed me were managing directors. They asked about Excel skills, programming, a few questions about structured products, asked to go over resume. Gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions.

Senior Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at S&P Ratings in December 2010.

I interviewed with S&P for a Sr. Application Developer position. For the most part, it was a negative, but also important experience. It was important because it was an experience like no other, and that in itself provided a valuable experience that I can take with me and learn from. I interviewed with 5 total people: recruiter, hiring manager, teammate 1, teammate 2, and hiring manager's boss. Of these 5 people, it was the recruiter and hiring manager whom I liked (and I think also liked me). The teammates 1 and 2 I thought did not respect my experience what-so-ever. They drilled me with irrelevant technical, pointed questions that only someone who spends their fridays and saturday nights at home would know. They expected rote memorization in my answers. That is something, I am proud to say, I do not endorse. Moreover, they didn't let me talk about my experiences and what I've done in my career. They kept drilling me with technical questions. The hiring manager's boss (the last guy I interviewed with), just seemed like a jerk. He's probably the one who gave the orders for the nature of the interview. Also, they gave me a 50+ question technical exam. This exam you cannot do well unless you do significant preparation on beforehand. I think conducting such an exam, once again, indicates they do not respect your experience and believe that using such metrics indicate someone's intelligence and ability level. They will use the exam as a bargaining tool at the end of the interview. It's kinda deceptive. In the end, even if I got a job offer from S&P, I would have declined it. I took the interview in the first place more as a primer for other interviews I had at different firms. No point in working for these kinds of people.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Ratings in May 2011.

I had applied online and within 2 days, received a phone call which turned into a very brief phone screen. It was being conducted by a coordinator, she sounded a bit green and was nervous with the questions. I met the minimum qualification and was invited for an onsite first round with the recruiter and senior director. The interview went well, pretty standard questions (ie. going through the resume, "why are you looking to leave?") and the recruiter was pleasant. She gave an overview of what the department is about and what she believes the position will be accountable for. However since this position reports to her senior, she could not confirm what the job entails to 100%. I was disappointed that at last minute my interview with the sr. director was canceled and will need to be rescheduled. Things happen, what can you do.

Another 2 days passed, I was rescheduled to return to meet with the sr. director. She was a bit all over the place, understanding the fast paced culture - assuming that's the "norm". Our interview was short, exactly 30mins. She asked a few questions and went into details of the job expectations, the organizational alignment. We ended the interview and she did confirm there are 2 other individuals she has to interview as part of the internal recruiting process. It was odd, since most companies would have completed the internal interviewing prior to going external. She mentioned they'll have a decision in the next week or so. I did the standard 'thank you letters' and reiterated my interest - - however after 4 weeks have passed, didn't hear back from the company, no e-mail, no rejection, not even a "thanks but no thanks" note, safe to assume it's filled. Oddly enough, ran into the recruiter at a job fair - she remembers me and awkwardly advised me the job was filled by an internal.

My experience with this company was fair, while I enjoyed networking however would have liked to get some type of feedback (positive or negative).

Interview Questions
    • You have a progressive resume (as in you've done this already and seems to be moving to other challenges), why would you return to just one functional area?   View Answer
    • You've been out of this industry for a few years, how can you ensure there's no gap?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at S&P Ratings in May 2011.

Got a call from HR then scheduled an interview with the managers. Talked with 2 people and the interview lasted 1 hr. The questions were all general behavioral questions and some regarding your skills set.

Interview Questions
    • What is the one point you want to highlight on your resume and why?   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

Quantitative Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at S&P Ratings in October 2010.

phone reception not so good. they asked some statistical question, ie. comparison between normal distribution and student t distribution, ANOVA (analysis of variance), linear regression (like what does r square stand for, how it is calculated, what are the components of sum of squares, etc). also they asked what statistical software programs I have used, like Matlab, SAS and describe the command I used to manipulate data

Interview Questions
    • Give the command you will put to do simple linear regression in SAS.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at S&P Ratings in April 2011.

The HR contacted me and called me in for an on-site interview. I spoke with the HR person for 30 minutes, then took a 1 hours analytical and programming written test, followed by 2 45-minute interviews with 2 managers

Structured Finance Ratings Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at S&P Ratings in April 2011.

I had phone interview with the person from the structured finance department. I was well liked enough that I got the offer for a summer internship the next day. Talked about the economy and the future of it. Barely went over resume. He was testing my knowledge on current events.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at S&P Ratings in January 2011.

Very long process. Applied online through their website. Heard from HR several weeks later. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager, and than invited to onsite to interview with several members of the team.

Most of the non-technical questions were fairly straightforward. The technical questions tended to test your memorization of random, esoteric facts about the Java API or syntax, rather than problem solving or design skills.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at S&P Ratings in October 2010.

Every member of the group interviews you and combine themselves to ask you very specific technical questions. By technical questions I mean statistical, and a lot of finance related questions. Sometimes they would make drawings to make sure you understand the questions they asking.