SAF-HOLLAND Interview Questions

2.4

Graphic Designer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SAF-HOLLAND.

The interview was with three people. One of the gentlemen came to the front reception area to greet me and we went into a conference room where another person joined us. We started with introductions and moved right into the interview questions. I was asked to tell them about myself and my experience. I walked them through my portfolio pointing out campaigns, branding and how the design was created, concept to completion.

Next the main interviewer gave me the history of the company and his role in it. He talked about taking the marketing group to the next level using the latest technology. He described his ideal team, how they would totally stand with him in various support levels. He was nearly done with his talk when the last person joined our session. He quickly breezed through my portfolio, asking what I programs I used to create the graphics and how much was my own idea and how much was from other sources. He seemed satisfied and left with the gentleman who brought me into the interview room.

The main marketing person gave me an office tour and continued sharing his vision for the marketing group and what he needed from the person they would hire. We ended up in his office where he stressed that he had access to many confidential matters and this hire would be required to keep many conversations with him confidential. He also asked if I would be willing to do things like make copies and put together presentation booklets for his meetings or if I thought that was beneath me.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised when the main marketing person asked me if I was a Christian.   View Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holland, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at SAF-HOLLAND in December 2012.

One interview with engineering seniors and management. Basic interview process with a quiz of designer knowledge.

Information Technology - Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SAF-HOLLAND in April 2011.

I put in my application and had to wait a couple of weeks before hearing anything back from them at all. I had to check back with them to make sure they had even gotten my application. Phone interview finally come around and it was short, sweet, and fruitless. Panel Interview took place and went well from what I could tell, they said we would hear back about decisions "soon". It took them over 2 weeks to finally send me a short letter saying that I was not accepted.

Interview Questions
    • You are at work and you get three calls one from the CEO, one from your friend in another department, and one from an angry employee. The CEO cannot access his email, your friend cannot print, and the angry employee is having a hard time connecting to the internet. You have prior knowledge that Server is down and is likely the cause of these problems. How do you handle each of these clients and how will you decide in which order each person should be helped?   View Answers (2)

Web Media Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at SAF-HOLLAND in February 2012.

The job description called for someone with plenty of web experience (coding/graphics, etc.) which I indeed had. Since I saw no evidence from my web counter that anyone from the company bothered looking at my online work -- a distressingly common situation -- I came prepared with several dozen color printouts along with references and recommendations. I had also researched their company from top to bottom beforehand.A state-funded staffing agency set up the interview.

A two-person team from SAF-Holland met with me. Neither had the faintest interest in anything I had brought; rather, they only wanted to know about my Microsoft SharePoint knowledge.

SharePoint was just one of many items in the job description, but I had no reason to believe it would be all-important. I explained that I was quite aware of SharePoint but had never laid a finger on it myself. I've picked up whatever languages or tools I've needed as I've gone along. I assured them I could certainly learn their content management system -- be it SharePoint or whatever. In light of the fact that I've been using computer systems since the Nixon administration (literally!), this was no idle boast on my part.

Three weeks then went by without a peep. So I emailed the staffing agency contact, who in turn phoned the interviewers and learned that they had decided to fill the position from within the company. I told the contact that this kind of treatment had been totally unprofessional, and that it was likely a blessing in disguise that SAF-Holland hadn't hired me.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madurai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madurai (India)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SAF-HOLLAND in September 2009.

Just called since they know me and interviewed over phone

Interview Questions

I am not happy with the product of theirs