SAGE Publications Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2015

2.9

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SAGE Publications (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I didn't get an offer, but had a great experience. Everyone I interviewed with displayed extreme passion for what they do. The interview process was kind of long. It started with a couple phone interviews followed by two Skype interviews. Finally they flew me out to Los Angeles for several 1:1 interviews as well as one group interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SAGE Publications (Thousand Oaks, CA).

Interview

Submitted resume via web site and received a call from HR to come on-site for an in person interview. They worked with my schedule, part of the interview was via video conference since some of the teams work in their global offices. I liked the company, and the people I met. Seemed like a good place to work, unfortunately the offer was not in the range.

Interview Questions

• Questions were direct about the skills needed for the position. Nothing tricky, or odd very straight forward.   Answer Question

Application

interviewed at SAGE Publications in August 2014.

Interview

I have previously applied and interviewed for this position. The previous experience was sub par considering all of the human resource representatives that were reviewing my application disappeared and no longer worked there during the days that followed.

The second interview included a phone interview and subsequent face to face interview including two hiring managers. Monday I received a friendly email confirming the date, time, and place of my interview the following day.

I arrived 15 minutes early to find there was a scheduling conflict. Essentially, the manager stated I was an hour late when in fact I was 15 min early. The manager exclaimed that the window to interview me was now a few minutes. There were a few sales related questions and about my computer knowledge. I did not meet with the manager's counterpart as was mentioned before. Also, I did not receive an online assessment, nor speak to the HR rep about my eligibility to work there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you worked with your manager to resolve a problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SAGE Publications (Thousand Oaks, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The hiring process started with an Initial phone interview with an executive manager, then an in-person interview with another manager the following week. The phone interview consisted of basic interview questions about my work history and what I was comfortable doing, along with a brief descriptions of what duties the intern position entailed. The in-person interview consisted of similar type questions/discussion. Following the in-person interview, I completed an at-home test/assessment with an allotted time of about two hours to complete; it tested my ability to follow instructions, think creatively, and correct spelling and grammar.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working with and reporting to someone who usually works off site?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There were no offers extended to me to negotiate, although I did request if the starting pay rate could be higher; HR kindly accepted my request and informed the hiring manager. The hiring manager said that the pay rate was not negotiable because it was at the higher end of the range that compared to similar type, full-time positions at the company. HR informed me of this news/decision, with the side note that the short-term lower pay would be worth it because of the high temp-to-perm conversion rate (and they were right, as I'm now working there full-time in a permanent position).

Editorial Assistant - Journals Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SAGE Publications (Thousand Oaks, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

The HR department first emailed me to set up a phone interview with an editor who worked remotely. The interview was relaxed but professional. It was supposed to take about half an hour or less, but my interview took 45 minutes or so. I thought it was a good sign.

He sent an email afterward with his contact information, and said that I would be hearing from him or HR as we progress in the hiring process. I sent a short reply thanking him for the chance to interview.

Unfortunately, that was the last that I heard from him. A week later, I emailed him and then nearly two weeks later, I called him with no avail. Still I waited. I had to contact HR nearly four weeks later to find out that the position was filled.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a median and a mean?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SAGE Publications.

Interview

Ridiculously long interview process for the role (over 2 months and 6 interviews). First phone interview with HR, then face to face to with HR, then face to face with another EA, then Skype interview with a 2nd EA, then a face to face with the COO, then an interview lunch with 3 EAs.

Interview Questions

• Not a question, but was told not to expect this position to ever evolve into something else or be able to transfer to another department as they wont do it since the position comes into contact with alot of highly confidential information (what Admin or EA position doesnt?)   3 Answers

Negotiation

Read the comments, horrible experience!!!!

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SAGE Publications (Thousand Oaks, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

First I was contacted by the HR to schedule an interview. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager who worked remotely from the office. He asked mostly questions about my experiences from my resume rather than typical questions like strengths/weaknesses or why do you want this job.

Interview Questions

• What did you like most/least about your job?
      What did you take away from your experiences?

Answer Question

Group Customer Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

interviewed at SAGE Publications (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

This was a very, very strange experience - not because people were unpleasant or questions difficult, but because I have never, in my working life, seen a company that procrastinates so much and shows so much indecision and confusion when it comes to recruitment. This job was first advertised in May 2014. I was invited for an interview in July. The company then re-advertised it again with numerous agencies in August - and now, as I can see, the post is being advertised yet again with nobody recruited yet. The interview, once it has been organised, was not a bad experience, but it became clear very soon that the manager wants somebody to sort out the situation with the team, but not stir things up - which would be inevitable given the present management structure and what this role's remit is. This, and what appears to be lack of courage on part of management to deal with the situation head on, I think, might be the reason they just don't seem to be able to find anyone in the whole of London despite three rounds of advertising since May - and this for a fairly straightforward position in publishing, which is no mean feat! The manager was pleasant enough, but she just explained what that role was about, which was a complete waste of time, as she didn't say anything that wasn't already obvious from the job description, and that was pretty much it. When I started asking questions as to how she planned to introduce this role and unify two teams yet keep the old managers in the same roles, she said this was an academic rather than a corporate environment. This came as a surprise to me as thought I was dealing with a commercial publisher.... There was no feedback after the interview to speak of and throughout our meeting I had a feeling that they were a bit stuck back in time, unable or unwilling to move: they want someone to sort out their problems but at the same time they want things kept as they are - which, I dare say, might just be the reason why they have problems in the first place.

Publishing Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SAGE Publications in January 2014.

Interview

A staffing agency referred my profile to SAGE and they selected some candidates, including me. We used Skype for the interview. The whole process is quite casual and just be yourself. Don't be overactive. They want someone who can work with the team and fit the company's culture. It takes around an hour for the online interview. They have interviewed a few more candidates in 2 days. Then, they gave the offer right one day after the interview and started to make the work pass. The interview process is quite efficient.

Interview Questions

• What you expect after 5 years   1 Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SAGE Publications in March 2012.

Interview

Interview will be over skype. Will check problem solving skills, dimensional modelling and sql server skills