SAS Institute

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.1

Research Statistician Developer Interview

got phone interviewed with three tech people. One is the hiring manager, they other two should be senior/principal statistician. Pretty smart guys. They know every details of the tech methods listed on my resume. First they will ask the general idea of the method and then guide you to the key question of the method. So you need to master each method in the resume. It took around 50 mins.

Interview Questions
    • Difference of PCA and PLS; kernel method of SVM; Bootstrapping; central limit theory;   Answer Question

Analytical Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at SAS Institute.

The process was quite typical for this type of role. It just was extremely slow. It started with a recruiter contacting me almost after 2 months since my original application on their website. That was followed up by an phone interview with the hiring manager and a second manager. Both had very good analytical backgrounds and the interview was mostly technical. Including SAS coding questions, and predictive modelling questions. I was then told I was going to be invited onsite to interview. But it took another month before that interview was even scheduled.
    The onsite interview is a presentation. You choose some of your work to present. There were at least 5 managers/senior managers and directors int he room, all of whom asked many (and good) question about the presentation I was giving.
    I flew back with the impression the interview went well, but everyone kept their poker faces and I wasn't sure I was going to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really anything particularly difficult if you know SAS coding and predictive modelling well.   Answer Question

Required relocation to NC.

Technical Architect Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SAS Institute in October 2014.

Phone interview and then met with 4 people from the team for a round of questions in building Q.
    Also met with HR for overview of benefits and questions about why I want to leave current employer.
    Very relaxed and good interview experience. I should know in a week or so if they want to meet me again.

Interview Questions
    • Was not a very technical interview. Questions about how I would deal with proposed technical requirements from sales team that were wrong and would not fit in architecture.

Most of the other questions involved my past experience with projects and technology.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SAS Institute.

One phone call from HR, in person, general interview with hiring manager, if initial interview OK, technical test, aprox. 3-5h coding. A4 sheet of task to code (C++/C# or Java)

Interview Questions
    • N/A most questions (99%) are from highly technical guys (principal developers) so expect only tech questions.   Answer Question
    Agency negotiated based on my requirements

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SAS Institute.

VERY time consuming. If a candidate is hired in under 60 days that is super fast. Focus depends on the fiefdom of the individual hiring manager or executive. Some care more about what you wear than what you say. Some want to ensure you work hard and do not make waves, some will approve you as long as the boss agrees.

Interview Questions
    • Too easy. Nothing super hard or unexpected. Also depends very much on the individual.   Answer Question
    long drawn out process. There is very little negotiation in Cary. If you are outside Cary it depends on how much they need to fill the position. The general attitude is "you are lucky we want you, take what we offer you".

Associate Analytical Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SAS Institute in September 2014.

Combination of phone and site interviews, five in total. The interviews consist of technical questions about options pricing theory, portfolio management, and algorithms (for example, reordering members of an array), as well as brain teasers. They also wish to see you give a 45 minute presentation on technical topic, as if you are truly a consulting speaking to a group of clients.

Interview Questions
    • How can you apply probability of default models to private firms?   Answer Question

Computer Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at SAS Institute.

Worked as a temp through Executive Temporaries.SAS Operations Manager spoke with me and offered the job with salary and benefits. He explained all details, salary, etc… I had worked as a temporary for one month and was then hired on full time. They were then familiar with my work ethic, personality, and ability to do the job and were satisfied with my abilities. So they did not need to ask too many questions. I think this was a smart way to hire. I was required to sign a confidentiality agreement. I also submitted a drug test and background check, but I was not required to pay for either of these. The drug test was done on campus and the SAS Healthcare Center. I was pregnant at the time I was hired and did receive some Healthcare benefits despite that being a pre-exhisting conditions, so they were very generous in that respect. Couldn't say whether that would be true still, today. Healthcare laws have changed since I was hired.

Technical Student Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SAS Institute.

Two rounds of interview. The first round is a phone interview. questions about greeks. Second round is a phone presentation about B-S model. They ask : What is SAS?What are the special input delimiters?what is the difference between a format and an informat?Describe an SAS function.what is a PUT statement?

Year-Round Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SAS Institute in May 2014.

Very positive experience for me. It was an interview with two people: the director and the supervisor for the department I would be in. Laid back, very courteous people who do not try to intimidate you in any way. They seem like they are genuinely interested in you as you are talking and as they are asking you questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions, most of it was basic just trying to get to know you, asking why you are interested in the subject, and asking about your previous job experience.   Answer Question
    I didn't really see a good opportunity to negotiate a wage (nor did I really see a need to) because they calculate a fair wage for you.

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SAS Institute in May 2014.

Initial phone and personal interview with the hiring manager. Then final interview with a panel of team members representing the development group. Panel interview consisted of Phd, Masters, and principal level contributors.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not extremely difficult. The most specific question was to describe methodology I would use when cleansing data.   Answer Question
    None. My belief is that offer was non-negotiable.