SAS Institute Interview Questions

3.1

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SAS Institute.

VERY time consuming. If a candidate is hired in under 60 days that is super fast. Focus depends on the fiefdom of the individual hiring manager or executive. Some care more about what you wear than what you say. Some want to ensure you work hard and do not make waves, some will approve you as long as the boss agrees.

Interview Questions
    • Too easy. Nothing super hard or unexpected. Also depends very much on the individual.   Answer Question
    long drawn out process. There is very little negotiation in Cary. If you are outside Cary it depends on how much they need to fill the position. The general attitude is "you are lucky we want you, take what we offer you".

Analytical Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SAS Institute.

Submit resume online. Contacted by HR to setup phone interview. Multiple Phone Interviews. HR discussion on salary and basic questions about wanting to work for SAS, why this position, etc. (This was the case for more than one position, so it's pretty standard.) Flew me to NC for in-person interview that was about 6 hours long, meeting with multiple people and had lunch. I stayed at a decent hotel they paid for, but I have not been reimbursed for the taxi and airport parking at home yet (it's been over 30 days). HR stayed in contact regularly until the offer was made. Once offer is accepted, they send a long list of forms to fill out online, there is a drug test at Labcorp, they ask for references and call them, background check. If you will work from home, there are some extra forms and reading material.

Interview Questions
    • What are assumptions of Poisson distribution?   View Answer
    • What do you look for when running regression? What are the variables of interest when forecasting sales? A lot of questions about my past work and projects. A lot of questions on why I was interested in the position.   Answer Question
    fair offer, no negotiation

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at SAS Institute in May 2014.

Initial phone and personal interview with the hiring manager. Then final interview with a panel of team members representing the development group. Panel interview consisted of Phd, Masters, and principal level contributors.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not extremely difficult. The most specific question was to describe methodology I would use when cleansing data.   Answer Question
    None. My belief is that offer was non-negotiable.

Year-Round Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute in May 2014.

Very positive experience for me. It was an interview with two people: the director and the supervisor for the department I would be in. Laid back, very courteous people who do not try to intimidate you in any way. They seem like they are genuinely interested in you as you are talking and as they are asking you questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions, most of it was basic just trying to get to know you, asking why you are interested in the subject, and asking about your previous job experience.   Answer Question
    I didn't really see a good opportunity to negotiate a wage (nor did I really see a need to) because they calculate a fair wage for you.

Computer Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at SAS Institute.

Worked as a temp through Executive Temporaries.SAS Operations Manager spoke with me and offered the job with salary and benefits. He explained all details, salary, etc… I had worked as a temporary for one month and was then hired on full time. They were then familiar with my work ethic, personality, and ability to do the job and were satisfied with my abilities. So they did not need to ask too many questions. I think this was a smart way to hire. I was required to sign a confidentiality agreement. I also submitted a drug test and background check, but I was not required to pay for either of these. The drug test was done on campus and the SAS Healthcare Center. I was pregnant at the time I was hired and did receive some Healthcare benefits despite that being a pre-exhisting conditions, so they were very generous in that respect. Couldn't say whether that would be true still, today. Healthcare laws have changed since I was hired.

Technical Student Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at SAS Institute.

Two rounds of interview. The first round is a phone interview. questions about greeks. Second round is a phone presentation about B-S model. They ask : What is SAS?What are the special input delimiters?what is the difference between a format and an informat?Describe an SAS function.what is a PUT statement?

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SAS Institute in February 2014.

Submitted an application through their website around November. Got screened mid-January. Didn't hear back from them until about six weeks later where we setup an interview. We had an interview the next week and I was supposed to meet with two HR representatives but ended up only meeting one (the other one was sick).

Interview Questions
    • My interviewer didn't ask me anything technical. She asked me to tell me about myself. Then later she asked me to explain a few of my projects that I had on there.   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute.

Lengthy and rigorous. SAS only leaves postings up for like a week so I was lucky to hit the window. Initial 30-minute phone conversation with hiring manager. About two weeks later, a set of in-person interviews with 2 members of the team and 2 members of HR. Then, about ten days later, more team members and the business leaders I'd be supporting. A few more days, then an offer, with no opportunity to negotiate, and contingent upon reference and background checks.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected, but I didn't expect to have to complete three different projects for them before receiving the offer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Associate Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute in April 2011.

Applied for this post online. The online posting mentioned that there would be a training academy for newly hired people before being inducted in their consultant workforce. The first interview was over the phone. It was technical, but the interviewer did not go into a lot of technical detail surprisingly. Most questions revolved around the resume. Technical questions revolved around basic database concepts (such as joins, concurrency etc.). The interview went smooth. The second was a 1:1 interview with an HR person. They asked some behavioral questions and inquired about salary expectations. For the final interview, I was given a topic to present on in front of a panel of interviewers. I prepared a 10-slide presentation that went fairly well I felt. They asked questions based on what I presented, and for my opinions on some things related to the presentation. The panel also asked questions about my resume, and whether I would be interested in a technical or an enablement role.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an instance where you had to work with a difficult person, and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    First offer was a little low I felt, so I asked them to revise it. They asked what was I expecting, and I told them. They came back with another offer that was fairly close to what I wanted, and I accepted.

Software Tester Interview

The interview took around 30 mins. It was mostly the interviewer explaining the work environment and job responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • Is this something you would like to do? (I did not like some of the responsibilities)   Answer Question

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!