SAS Institute

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Interview

Graduate
Cary, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SAS Institute in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone and personal interview with the hiring manager. Then final interview with a panel of team members representing the development group. Panel interview consisted of Phd, Masters, and principal level contributors.

Interview Question – Questions were not extremely difficult. The most specific question was to describe methodology I would use when cleansing data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. My belief is that offer was non-negotiable.

Year-Round Administrative Interview

Year-Round Administrative
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute in May 2014.

Interview Details – Very positive experience for me. It was an interview with two people: the director and the supervisor for the department I would be in. Laid back, very courteous people who do not try to intimidate you in any way. They seem like they are genuinely interested in you as you are talking and as they are asking you questions.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult questions, most of it was basic just trying to get to know you, asking why you are interested in the subject, and asking about your previous job experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really see a good opportunity to negotiate a wage (nor did I really see a need to) because they calculate a fair wage for you.

Computer Operations Specialist Interview

Computer Operations Specialist
Cary, NC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview Details – Worked as a temp through Executive Temporaries.SAS Operations Manager spoke with me and offered the job with salary and benefits. He explained all details, salary, etc… I had worked as a temporary for one month and was then hired on full time. They were then familiar with my work ethic, personality, and ability to do the job and were satisfied with my abilities. So they did not need to ask too many questions. I think this was a smart way to hire. I was required to sign a confidentiality agreement. I also submitted a drug test and background check, but I was not required to pay for either of these. The drug test was done on campus and the SAS Healthcare Center. I was pregnant at the time I was hired and did receive some Healthcare benefits despite that being a pre-exhisting conditions, so they were very generous in that respect. Couldn't say whether that would be true still, today. Healthcare laws have changed since I was hired.

Technical Student Interview

Technical Student

I applied through college or university and interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interview. The first round is a phone interview. questions about greeks. Second round is a phone presentation about B-S model. They ask : What is SAS?What are the special input delimiters?what is the difference between a format and an informat?Describe an SAS function.what is a PUT statement?

Interview Question – questions were not that hard   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SAS Institute in February 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted an application through their website around November. Got screened mid-January. Didn't hear back from them until about six weeks later where we setup an interview. We had an interview the next week and I was supposed to meet with two HR representatives but ended up only meeting one (the other one was sick).

Interview Question – My interviewer didn't ask me anything technical. She asked me to tell me about myself. Then later she asked me to explain a few of my projects that I had on there.   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview Details – Lengthy and rigorous. SAS only leaves postings up for like a week so I was lucky to hit the window. Initial 30-minute phone conversation with hiring manager. About two weeks later, a set of in-person interviews with 2 members of the team and 2 members of HR. Then, about ten days later, more team members and the business leaders I'd be supporting. A few more days, then an offer, with no opportunity to negotiate, and contingent upon reference and background checks.

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected, but I didn't expect to have to complete three different projects for them before receiving the offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Software Tester Interview

Software Tester

Interviewed at SAS Institute

Interview Details – The interview took around 30 mins. It was mostly the interviewer explaining the work environment and job responsibilities.

Interview Question – Is this something you would like to do? (I did not like some of the responsibilities)   Answer Question

Associate Technical Consultant Interview

Associate Technical Consultant
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied for this post online. The online posting mentioned that there would be a training academy for newly hired people before being inducted in their consultant workforce. The first interview was over the phone. It was technical, but the interviewer did not go into a lot of technical detail surprisingly. Most questions revolved around the resume. Technical questions revolved around basic database concepts (such as joins, concurrency etc.). The interview went smooth. The second was a 1:1 interview with an HR person. They asked some behavioral questions and inquired about salary expectations. For the final interview, I was given a topic to present on in front of a panel of interviewers. I prepared a 10-slide presentation that went fairly well I felt. They asked questions based on what I presented, and for my opinions on some things related to the presentation. The panel also asked questions about my resume, and whether I would be interested in a technical or an enablement role.

Interview Question – Tell me about an instance where you had to work with a difficult person, and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First offer was a little low I felt, so I asked them to revise it. They asked what was I expecting, and I told them. They came back with another offer that was fairly close to what I wanted, and I accepted.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Cary, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at SAS Institute in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was first contacted through a SAS recruiter. I had a phone interview with HR, another phone interview with the hiring manager and other employees, and an onsite interview with the same. The hiring manager quickly decided in a couple of days that I was his pick.

I made sure to research the company and the division for which I was being interviewed. I asked lots of questions, and concluded the interview by saying (sincerely) that I felt my skills were a good fit for the job, that I wanted the job, and that I wanted to hear from them soon. I also asked how many other candidates they were interviewing, and when they expected to make a decision. The manager told me on the spot that he appreciated those questions -- not everyone actually asks for the job, and asking for the job was important to him.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience.

Interview Question – I was asked questions primarily about best practices and example projects.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked to give a salary history during the initial application process and to specify a salary range I would accept. I used Glassdoor.com to figure out an acceptable range, gave the salary I wanted as the low-end figure.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Cary, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SAS Institute in April 2013.

Interview Details – Employee referral and applied online. Initial HR screening phone call, followed by 3 phone interview before final in-person interviews with sales management

Negotiation Details – yes, but there knew there was not much room for negotiation

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!