SAS Institute Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

Sales Academy Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

I had a 30 minute role play interview with an HR specialist. Prior to the interview, my HR rep provided me with two different scenarios to prepare for. I prepared extensively for the role play, but felt that I didn't get to showcase any of my background research due to more elementary questions.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SAS Institute in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got an email a few days later to set up an in-person interview. It consisted of two in-person interviews. First one was mostly questions about experience/expectations and general info about the company and its benefits. The second interview was 1:1 followed by a more technical group interview with 4 team members. I was told I would hear back the following week but never heard from them.

Interview Questions

Interview

got phone interviewed with three tech people. One is the hiring manager, they other two should be senior/principal statistician. Pretty smart guys. They know every details of the tech methods listed on my resume. First they will ask the general idea of the method and then guide you to the key question of the method. So you need to master each method in the resume. It took around 50 mins.

Interview Questions

• Difference of PCA and PLS; kernel method of SVM; Bootstrapping; central limit theory;   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

The process was quite typical for this type of role. It just was extremely slow. It started with a recruiter contacting me almost after 2 months since my original application on their website. That was followed up by an phone interview with the hiring manager and a second manager. Both had very good analytical backgrounds and the interview was mostly technical. Including SAS coding questions, and predictive modelling questions. I was then told I was going to be invited onsite to interview. But it took another month before that interview was even scheduled.
    The onsite interview is a presentation. You choose some of your work to present. There were at least 5 managers/senior managers and directors int he room, all of whom asked many (and good) question about the presentation I was giving.
    I flew back with the impression the interview went well, but everyone kept their poker faces and I wasn't sure I was going to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really anything particularly difficult if you know SAS coding and predictive modelling well.   Answer Question

Required relocation to NC.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

One phone call from HR, in person, general interview with hiring manager, if initial interview OK, technical test, aprox. 3-5h coding. A4 sheet of task to code (C++/C# or Java)

Interview Questions

• N/A most questions (99%) are from highly technical guys (principal developers) so expect only tech questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Agency negotiated based on my requirements

Technical Architect Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SAS Institute in October 2014.

Interview

Phone interview and then met with 4 people from the team for a round of questions in building Q.
    Also met with HR for overview of benefits and questions about why I want to leave current employer.
    Very relaxed and good interview experience. I should know in a week or so if they want to meet me again.

Interview Questions

• Was not a very technical interview. Questions about how I would deal with proposed technical requirements from sales team that were wrong and would not fit in architecture.

Most of the other questions involved my past experience with projects and technology.

Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SAS Institute (Arlington, VA).

Interview

VERY time consuming. If a candidate is hired in under 60 days that is super fast. Focus depends on the fiefdom of the individual hiring manager or executive. Some care more about what you wear than what you say. Some want to ensure you work hard and do not make waves, some will approve you as long as the boss agrees.

Interview Questions

• Too easy. Nothing super hard or unexpected. Also depends very much on the individual.   Answer Question

Negotiation

long drawn out process. There is very little negotiation in Cary. If you are outside Cary it depends on how much they need to fill the position. The general attitude is "you are lucky we want you, take what we offer you".

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SAS Institute in September 2014.

Interview

Combination of phone and site interviews, five in total. The interviews consist of technical questions about options pricing theory, portfolio management, and algorithms (for example, reordering members of an array), as well as brain teasers. They also wish to see you give a 45 minute presentation on technical topic, as if you are truly a consulting speaking to a group of clients.

Interview Questions

• How can you apply probability of default models to private firms?   Answer Question

Computer Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC).

Interview

Worked as a temp through Executive Temporaries.SAS Operations Manager spoke with me and offered the job with salary and benefits. He explained all details, salary, etc… I had worked as a temporary for one month and was then hired on full time. They were then familiar with my work ethic, personality, and ability to do the job and were satisfied with my abilities. So they did not need to ask too many questions. I think this was a smart way to hire. I was required to sign a confidentiality agreement. I also submitted a drug test and background check, but I was not required to pay for either of these. The drug test was done on campus and the SAS Healthcare Center. I was pregnant at the time I was hired and did receive some Healthcare benefits despite that being a pre-exhisting conditions, so they were very generous in that respect. Couldn't say whether that would be true still, today. Healthcare laws have changed since I was hired.

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

Two rounds of interview. The first round is a phone interview. questions about greeks. Second round is a phone presentation about B-S model. They ask : What is SAS?What are the special input delimiters?what is the difference between a format and an informat?Describe an SAS function.what is a PUT statement?