SCVNGR

www.scvngr.com

SCVNGR Interview Questions

2.7

Event Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SCVNGR.

Only got as far as a phone interview. Everything seemed very positive until near the end. I said something that hinted at the fact that job stability is important to me and things went south. I know that most people at this company are in their 20s, but shouldn't young people still also be allowed to want a stable job? (I never implied that it was not a stable company.)

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very expected. The sudden turn was not.   Answer Question

Customer Relations for LevelUp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SCVNGR in November 2012.

I submitted my resume and was contacted by a recruiter via email 4 days later. An initial phone screening/interview was set up for the following day. It lasted about 20 minutes and was pretty typical - tell me about yourself, what do you do outside of work, why are you interested in LevelUp. It was fast paced and went smoothly. A few days later I was contacted to set up an in-person interview for the following week. The interview was referred to as "The Challenge", in which I had to begin the interview acting as a LevelUp rep and sell the idea to a local business of my choice. It was a bit nerve racking but I think went very well, overall. The pitch was given to 3 employees and they all had their own questions to ask about my pitch, as if they were acting like the business I had chosen. Once the pitch was over (about 5-10 min) they followed up by asking about my employment background and why I was interested in working at LevelUp. The interview was short, concise, and very friendly.

I must note that it is important for you to show your true personality at all times. They want to hire you for YOU and that is evident. It's a laid back office with a fun, but hard working staff. Go in prepared to self yourself 100%, in addition to knowing anything and everything about LevelUp.

The reviews on here made me a bit unsure about what I was getting into. Although I can't speak with the experience as a current or former employee, it does seem to me that they are restructuring things with an aggressive focus on LevelUp, as opposed to LevelUp and SCVNGR. Some issues may still be valid, but based on the research I've done on the company, visiting the office, and experiencing the environment first hand, I am hopeful about getting a call back. If not, just chalk it up to interview practice!

Interview Questions
    • How can LevelUp not charge for payment transactions?   Answer Question
    • What other companies around me are using LevelUp? (around the vicinity of the chosen business used in mock pitch)   Answer Question

Rockstar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SCVNGR in March 2012.

I met them at a career fair and they followed up a few months later asking for an interview. They set the time of the interview and are totally unflexible with your schedule. I did a phone interview, which went fine, and then came in for a sales pitch. Was misled into thinking there would be no questions during my presentation-- I got 2 sentences in and then they barraged me with questions. Came in next for a few short meetings with various teams, but one of them had to cancel and the recruiter said we'd reschedule this last piece. He never followed up, despite my multiple emails. They sound like a cool company, but absolutely terrible with communication.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at SCVNGR in September 2011.

I was invited to attend an open house after having a brief conversation with an HR executive. This particular open house was not geared towards the position I was interested in. In addition, "the party" started an hour later then I was told. There were around 30 potential employees, and around 20 current SVCNGR staffers. The difference in numbers made the evening rather laborious.

I love their Level Up product, but was very disappointed in their hiring process. It didn't seem to be a good use of time for anyone involved.

Events Planner and Executor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SCVNGR in August 2011.

I heard back from SCVNGR's HR department mere days after sending in my application. I was invited for a phone interview, which I gladly accepted. The HR director and I had a nice informal conversation. Nothing too challenging. At the end of our talk, he invited me to come down to the Cambridge headquarters to meet some of the people in the department I was interviewing for and told me to email him some dates and times that would work.

I followed his instructions and the whole thing went downhill from there. At the time, I was working in New Hampshire and had a somewhat tight schedule. Thus, coming down to Boston was inevitably going to mean getting time off from work. Of course, I was willing to do this because the job sounded interesting, but anyone in my situation would expect the company in question to work with them on finding a good time to visit.

I went for nearly two weeks without hearing a thing back from SCVNGR, other than a vague date that might work. Having heard nothing back from my followup email (nothing persistent, just one check-in), I took a gamble, got time off of work for the date they mentioned, and drove down the night before. The next morning, I finally got in touch with the HR guy only to have him tell me that the date was not going to work (turns out he'd just come back from vacation!) Once again, he didn't throw out any concrete dates that would work, was unapologetic, and lazily mentioned that if I couldn't make it down on a later date, we could talk via Skype. He sounded tired, grumpy and desperate to cease communications with me. Unsurprisingly, I never heard from him again and didn't bother with any further inquiries.

Thankfully, I found (and got) another job shortly after, and a better one at that. What angered me most was that the guy I spoke with didn't have the courtesy (or the nerve) to tell me I wasn't a good fit, especially after implying that he was still interested in my candidacy.

In short, my interview experience with SCVNGR was terrible and I predict that they will not last long if their communication standards are this amateurish and inconsiderate.

Game Concept and Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SCVNGR in March 2010.

They wanted you to create a game for them- which I did.
    I parked in a paid lot as I was instructed to. When I got to the office there was no one at the front desk- I had to walk around calling, "Hello?" I finally located someone who located another person who finally found who I needed to talk to.
    I waited 35 minutes for her.
    Interviewed with two kids who asked a total of 2 nonsense questions (truly nonsensical - like "How short to New York is long?") as they supressed giggles.
    I left and paid my hefty parking fee.
    They kept my game idea and didn't call back.

Marketing Rockstar Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SCVNGR.

3-step process involving sales pitches, unexpected scenarios, and minimal questions.

Sales Rockstar Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SCVNGR in April 2012.

After applying for the position through my college's Career Services website, I relieved an e-mail response scheduling a phone interview within the week. After a half-hour conversation on a weekday morning, I received a negative response via e-mail six days later.

Sales Rockstar Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SCVNGR in March 2012.

initial phone interview asking about yourself and why you want to work there. then a 5 min sales pitch on the level up product.

Sales Rockstar Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SCVNGR in November 2011.

I was contacted initially for a short phone interview which was fairly easy. Next, I was given the task of creating a 5 minute sales pitch to present via Skype. I passed this portion and I felt a really great vibe with the company and its culture.The people I interviewed in this session were very positive, passionate, and were eager to help with questions I had regarding their work and the job itself. However, my interview with a top executive(who I shall not name) was where my good vibes about the company wore off.

I had a personal Skype interview with this executive and he was 15 minutes late. When I was finally contacted, there was no apology given and I felt like he was already in a bad mood.However, I hoped that this wouldn't affect my interview. I tried to maintain a positive attitude though and talked about my background and discussed topics that he wanted to know about. However, when I asked questions about the company he was very elusive, "short", and didn't seem to be too involved. The interview felt very one-sided. For example, when I asked "How were your first few weeks with the company"...he simply said "Well it was just me and Seth (the CEO)" and that was it.....

When I later asked about revenue goals near the end, he gave me vague points but not actual monetary goals. Basically, when I tried to find out more information in terms of anything monetary, It felt like I was digging into something I should not be? It felt weird, especially for this position, for the company to be so vague on financial goals and current financial models. During the interview, the video on his end froze while he was talking and when I noted this and politely asked if he could perhaps repeat his response, he simply said "I can see you fine, I don't know why it would have frozen" and kept talking not really caring if I heard his prior response. My passion for the company thinned when I couldn't even get simple questions answered without receiving overly short answers and/or snark.

At the end of the interview, I felt that maybe he was testing me and I'd get an offer? I didn't but I hope that I was taken out of the running because my skills didn't match and not because of something superficial.However, my gut feeling is saying that maybe he just didn't like me or something happened right before my interview to receive such unprofessional behavior.

Interview Questions
    • Tell Me About Yourself.   View Answer
    • What Makes Scvngr different from our competitors and why do you want to work here versus them?   View Answer