SEC Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.8

Fall Business Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEC.

Interview

General Interview, they asked about my experience, why I want to work with the SEC, why I'm interested in the work that the SEC does. It's important to mention recent policies the SEC has enacted, it makes you standout and shows you're up to date on what the SEC is doing.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SEC.

Interview

Panel interviews with proscribed questions to ensure objectivity for all candidates. Recently the process has included a legal or accounting hypothetical testing issue spotting, writing skills and analytical abilities. The candidate pool has been uniformly competitive as it now is common to reject Ivy League job applicants.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions on past experiences. Hypothetical situations on tackling a challenging issue in workplace. Relationship management questions.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEC (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Very comfortable but yet time consuming. I was interviewed by two Senior Paralegals at the SEC. My interviewers were very relaxed and made the interview environment very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the SEC?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEC in March 2015.

Interview

The application/interview process was pretty straightforward. I submitted a resume and cover letter through USAJobs (I think there was some supplemental documentation, too, and that can be found on the SEC's site; USAJobs lists some of the requirements, but you should be careful because some are spelled out far more clearly on the SEC's site), and a few weeks later, I received an e-mail requesting an interview. I had one behavioral interview that lasted about 30 minutes, and heard back pretty shortly thereafter with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why the SEC? Why public service?   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SEC.

Interview

Short phone interview that discussed pretty general topics. Need to have an interest in securities or at least corporate law. Two interviewers conducted the interview but you may not work for them if you get hired.

Fall 2014 Honors Business Interview

Interview

Application. Great deal of paperwork. Phone call interview with three of the senior accountants there. They were nice and really just want to ensure that you have a background in basic finance and accounting.

Interview Questions

• Pretty laid back interview. They asked some statistical questions such as how to discover seasonality in multiple regression models   Answer Question

Student Honors Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEC.

Interview

Applied online with a resume and cover letter to three preferred locations. I was contacted from my first preference within a month. The office set up a 2 on 1 phone interview with two young accountants, both were honest, open and helpful. I was contacted within a week about the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Please walk me through some of your relevant course work. Tell me about a time you were in a leadership role. What are your career goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a unpaid position.

Honors Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with two employees. Pretty general questions. It would be a good idea to include the SEC's three-part mission statement and tie in your relevant experience to that. Show that you have an interest in securities law and the markets, generally. They asked about why I wanted to be in the offices that I chose (once you receive an offer, you can change the offices), so have an explanation. Be personable. Smile. Phone interviews are tough but if you smile, you tend to sound happier and more excited. Both of the people I interviewed with were very nice. It became more of a conversation towards the end. At then end of the phone call, they offered me the internship and I accepted. AMAZING place to work! I love the people I work with and the work that I do. Too bad it was just an internship :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This was an unpaid internship, so really no negotiation. It was the one I really wanted for SEC HQ in D.C. I got offered the job at the end of the phone interview and accepted on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Interview

Asked basic questions - most important was why public service/SEC and do you want public service long term. Other than that it was all standard stuff and nothing even noteworthy.

Interview Questions

• N/A - it was all pretty straightforward and there was nothing technical or "hard" - they gave me the option of a phone interview, so I guess that shows they're really just interested in 1 or 2 main questions.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Miami, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very short. Applied online and received an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted ten minutes or so and two weeks thereafter I was accepted via email.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the SEC? How would you help the SEC achieve its objectives?   Answer Question