SEC

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SEC.

Short phone interview that discussed pretty general topics. Need to have an interest in securities or at least corporate law. Two interviewers conducted the interview but you may not work for them if you get hired.

Fall 2014 Honors Business Interview

Application. Great deal of paperwork. Phone call interview with three of the senior accountants there. They were nice and really just want to ensure that you have a background in basic finance and accounting.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty laid back interview. They asked some statistical questions such as how to discover seasonality in multiple regression models   Answer Question

Student Honors Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SEC.

Applied online with a resume and cover letter to three preferred locations. I was contacted from my first preference within a month. The office set up a 2 on 1 phone interview with two young accountants, both were honest, open and helpful. I was contacted within a week about the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Please walk me through some of your relevant course work. Tell me about a time you were in a leadership role. What are your career goals?   Answer Question
    It was a unpaid position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Asked basic questions - most important was why public service/SEC and do you want public service long term. Other than that it was all standard stuff and nothing even noteworthy.

Interview Questions
    • N/A - it was all pretty straightforward and there was nothing technical or "hard" - they gave me the option of a phone interview, so I guess that shows they're really just interested in 1 or 2 main questions.   Answer Question

Intern-Summer Honors College Program Interview

Interview process was relatively laid back. Consisted of a half hour phone interview. Very friendly group of people who really just wanted to hear about what I could bring to the office. I found out within 24 hours that I had been offered the position. Very happy that I applied here.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to current events: what are the costs of the Ukraine/Russia crisis to the United States.   Answer Question

Extern Interview

Phone interview

Summer Honors Intern: Enforcement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SEC.

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview several weeks later. The phone interview was a conference call with several employees. I was asked several finance related questions, and why I was interested in the program. They were very nice and the interview was pretty laid back. I received the offer the next week (4 days).

Financial Economist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SEC.

Interviewed with them at AEAs in Philly. Very fast turnaround to get flyout invitation. Very friendly group of economists in DERA, with very little unpleasantness. Employees mostly seemed happy and collegial.

Division of Ecumenic and Risk Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SEC in February 2014.

Sent in application through website in December and was contacted for an interview in February. Only one interview round and was relatively basic. Overall a good experience as the representatives were very friendly and willing to answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions
    • Asked classic interview questions such as Why SEC? Why Division of Economic and Risk Analysis? What are some things happening around the world right now? What is the FED doing?   Answer Question

Intern-Summer Honors College Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SEC in October 2013.

This was in the Division of Economic and Risk Analysis.

The interview was on the phone. The person who interviews you will most likely be your immediate supervisor (hence why that person is calling).

Most people in their position have PhD's in Finance. Very few have their PhD in economics and even fewer dont have PhD. The advantage of this is that your interviewer will have published some work. Make sure you go and read their work and find a way to incorporate it into the interview questions.

Other than that, the questions were pretty straight forward. They wanted to know what your research interests were, what quantitative experience you had and applied knowledge you have of the field.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your experience performing research and applying economic theories.   Answer Question
    Unpaid internship.