SEC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Management and Program Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at SEC in January 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process took an extremely long period of time, similarly to all government hiring. Start to finish the process took over seven months. Despite moving very slowly it was a positive process and the questions were fair and tough.

Interview Question – There were no business cases or unexpected questions. The questions were expected about the SEC and lots of technical questions. There is a high expectation that applicants be very conversant in their area of expertise which is more than fair.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SEC in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through USAJobs. I got a call later from two people who wanted to talk to me. It was very casual. I didn't have a strong business background so I just talked about my experience doing previous ethical work. They talked about how sometimes the ethical procedures are a bit ridiculous.

Interview Question – It was amazingly casual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a letter saying email HR if you wanted the internship.

Financial Economist Interview

Financial Economist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SEC in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position as an external candidate. The hiring process for the US government is long and involved. The first step is to provide a written application including answering a Knowledge & Skills Assessment. These are involved essay questions requiring you to highlight experience for specific relevant knowledge and skills of the position. These responses are scored by the hiring agency or department. Only the top 3 to 5 external candidates are recommended for the position.

Once recommended, it is up to the hiring manager to decide if you will be brought for in person interviews. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager to discuss my background and the specifics of the job. I had a good sense of my strengths and weaknesses for the position. I was brought into the SEC for a full day interview with others in the group and division heads. The experience was relaxed and informative of the culture.

Interview Question – How do you think about a problem?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SEC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SEC interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by SEC employees and interview candidates.