SEC Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SEC in February 2013.

It was not a traditional face to face interview. Of course it is the federal government and I had applied for this job in November, 2012. I didn't get called until February, 2013. The hiring manager called me and said she recevied over a 1,000 applications and didn't have time to interview everyone. She said I had the skills she was seeking and asked for references. There were no questions about my background, why I wanted to work at the SEC or anything. Seeing that I had just went through 5 year periodic investigation at my previous employer; it was a breeze coming on board at the SEC.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SEC in November 2012.

I applied through USAJobs. I got a call later from two people who wanted to talk to me. It was very casual. I didn't have a strong business background so I just talked about my experience doing previous ethical work. They talked about how sometimes the ethical procedures are a bit ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    I got a letter saying email HR if you wanted the internship.

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at SEC in January 2011.

The hiring process took an extremely long period of time, similarly to all government hiring. Start to finish the process took over seven months. Despite moving very slowly it was a positive process and the questions were fair and tough.

Interview Questions
    • There were no business cases or unexpected questions. The questions were expected about the SEC and lots of technical questions. There is a high expectation that applicants be very conversant in their area of expertise which is more than fair.   Answer Question

Financial Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SEC in April 2010.

I applied for the position as an external candidate. The hiring process for the US government is long and involved. The first step is to provide a written application including answering a Knowledge & Skills Assessment. These are involved essay questions requiring you to highlight experience for specific relevant knowledge and skills of the position. These responses are scored by the hiring agency or department. Only the top 3 to 5 external candidates are recommended for the position.

Once recommended, it is up to the hiring manager to decide if you will be brought for in person interviews. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager to discuss my background and the specifics of the job. I had a good sense of my strengths and weaknesses for the position. I was brought into the SEC for a full day interview with others in the group and division heads. The experience was relaxed and informative of the culture.