SEIU Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

2.9

Organizer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SEIU (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First is a phone screen/interview. If you ale it past that,you are invited to a "one day" which is a group interview and role play session to see if you are fit for the job. Lasted about 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• Who are the two most inspirational people in your life (dead or alive) and why   1 Answer

Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

We had a group interview in Chicago, there were about 30 people present in a small room and we all had to explain our backgrounds. About one third of the people present had union organizing backgrounds, and the main interviewer basically told the group that the rest of us with Political non-union organizing backgrounds were basically useless. So as a political organizer (5 years of campaign experience) I had to sit through an embarrassing 3 hours with only a cold taco they provided for lunch for comfort. Why did they even bring me in if my experience was useless. Room meat.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Interview

Applied for a Research Analyst position online. Approximately 2+ weeks later, received e-mail invitation to take online Research Analyst Exam. Upon completion of exam, never heard from SEIU re: this position again.

After applying for another Research Analyst position a year later, again, received an e-mail invitation to take online Research Analyst Exam. Attempted to take exam, but was blocked. I'm assuming it's because you can only take the exam once within a certain time period. Followed up with exam coordinator multiple times via e-mail and received no response.

Interview Questions

• Research Analyst Exam is timed. I believe you are given 1.5-2 hours to complete 15 short answer/multiple choice questions and an essay. *My online exam actually abruptly shut down on me before I had finished and well before the allotted time had run. I informed the exam coordinator via e-mail and she was able to make arrangements for me to take conclusion of exam.

Test instructions encourage you to show your work for short answer questions. Examples of questions asked:
      - At Smith Corporation, you have 5 execs making salary in the amount of $100,000, 3 managers making salary in the amount of $75,000, and 8 associates making salary in the amount of $45,000. What is the weighted average of these employees' salaries?
      - Smith Corporation pays for worker benefits in full, in the amount of $100 per worker per month. Next year they want employees to cover 15% of their benefits costs. What will this cost annually amount to for worker?
      - Smith Corporation has 5 contractors making $100,000 per year and 5 consultants making $50,000 per year. They propose to raise contractors' salary by $2K per year and consultants' by $500 per year. If union wants across-the board raise that amounts to same total costs that Smith Corporation is proposing to pay, what across-the board percentage of current salaries should union propose?
      - Smith Corporation has 100 desks and 90% of them are staffed. How many unstaffed desks are there?
      - Question provides a list of 9 numbers representing the profit figures of 9 different companies. You are asked to compute the mean. Subsequent question asks you to compute the median. Next question is multiple choice asks you which more accurately describes the average profit of these companies (your choices are A. Mean or B. Median).
      - Next few questions based on a provided table. Using specific figures/data found in table, you are asked to make some computations and draw some conclusions (based on what the table's data suggests).
      - Next few questions show several different graph, labeled A-F. Axises are not labeled per se, but you can visually get a sense of what the slope of the curve is (some contain a linear line, some contain a curved line, others feature a line that goes up and down). Questions will pose a scenario, and you have to identify which graph most accurately describes the trend described in the scenario. Example: each year for the last several years, Smith corporation has been decreasing the price of toothpaste at equal increments. Which graph best represents the selling price of toothpaste during these years? (Followed my multiple choice of graph options.)
      - There is a short answer questions where they provide a table and ask you to critique it (i.e. problems with layout, accuracy, etc.).

Answer Question

Organizer In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

Huge pannel interview, included around 15 other applicants. Took an entire day! Very long. Entry level position however most applicants had extensive organising experience. It started with a rapid round of answering ideological questions then later moved on to role playing.

Interview Questions

• What was your most recent involvement with a social justice cause?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SEIU in September 2014.

Interview

I missed a phone call from the manager asking to set up an interview time. I eventually got in touch with him and we set up a time for a longer interview over the phone, where discussed my qualifications and background, the responsibilities of the position, and behavioral questions. The conversation lasted for over an hour. The manager told me that there were at least two others in the running for the position and that they were going to make their final decision within the week. I was told I would be called either to visit the office (in Houston) or possibly informed that I was selected. A week passed and I was not called.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were perfunctory--nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied for an internship in the political department. Was contacted a few days later, had interview the next week. Interview was with both internship coordinators, asked about experiences in school and in past internships. Very relaxed interview, more of a conversation to assess if personalities/political leanings matched.
    Next week had panel interview with several members from the political department. Similar questions, a bit more technical than the first interview (strengths, weaknesses, knowledge of research databases). Interviewers were very welcoming and not at all intimidating. After interview took a test where I edited a 2-page document.
    Met with the political department director a week later. Started as a more formal interview, asked about career goals, 5 year plan, etc. Ended up talking about sports and had a nice chat.
    Offered position 2 days later. Overall process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you overcame adversity or had to stand up for your beliefs   Answer Question

Internal Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SEIU (Salinas, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Sent Resume and Cover letter to HR Department. Received Email Requesting Interview. If Interested in Interview I would have to provide a Writing Sample, and I would also need to take an online 30 minute written exam. After completing these steps I was interviewed by a panel of individuals. Candidates were interviewed in succession on the same day.

30 minute timed exam: administered via email. contacted by staff over the phone. Email with scenerio sent while on the phone. Once document is opened and candidate ready, staff hangs up and calls you back in thirty minutes to ask you to send the document back via email.

Interview Questions

• Given thirty minutes: I was presented with a scenario and asked to create a plan of action (two month time line), leaflets, and a two minute speech.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SEIU in March 2014.

Interview

Sent an email with resume and a writing sample. I was contacted to meet the manager two weeks later. Just very basic questions, like "Why are you interested in SEIU", and some questions about my background and experiences. A second round interview and a skill test is required. Got the offer, but declined.

Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at SEIU (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The task I was to be hired for was clear and to the point of what is needed for this Organizer position.
    I have Organized with SEIU in the past and I was very familiar with their Staff and Organizing.

Interview Questions

• Can you organize a Union Action on your own?   1 Answer

Senior Campaign Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied on the website and was simultaneously referred by an employee.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. One question that I could have answered better was where I see myself in five years. Have answers to standard questions like this written out, rehearsed and tailored toward the company and the position.   Answer Question