SEIU

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Internal Organizer Interview

Salinas, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SEIU in April 2014.

Interview Details – Sent Resume and Cover letter to HR Department. Received Email Requesting Interview. If Interested in Interview I would have to provide a Writing Sample, and I would also need to take an online 30 minute written exam. After completing these steps I was interviewed by a panel of individuals. Candidates were interviewed in succession on the same day.

30 minute timed exam: administered via email. contacted by staff over the phone. Email with scenerio sent while on the phone. Once document is opened and candidate ready, staff hangs up and calls you back in thirty minutes to ask you to send the document back via email.

Interview Question – Given thirty minutes: I was presented with a scenario and asked to create a plan of action (two month time line), leaflets, and a two minute speech.   Answer Question

Senior Campaign Communications Specialist Interview

Senior Campaign Communications Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at SEIU in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on the website and was simultaneously referred by an employee.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. One question that I could have answered better was where I see myself in five years. Have answers to standard questions like this written out, rehearsed and tailored toward the company and the position.   Answer Question

Organizer In Training Interview

Organizer In Training
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SEIU in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, submitting a resume and cover letter through their website. Within a couple days they called, for what seemed to be a preliminary phone interview. At the end of the call, they offered to bring me to Boston to interview in person, in a group interview process with about 20 other people.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything particularly difficult about the interview. The phone interview was comprised of basic questions such as "why do you view unions favorably" and "how would you explain the benefits of a union to a worker?" The group stage was mostly them providing information about the campaign they're hiring for and then simulating role plays in which you talk to potential union members.   Answer Question

Field Researcher Low Wage Worker Campaign Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SEIU in October 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call day after submitting resume. Took a test that week, and a week later I conducted two interviews. The first I was nervous, the second seemed to go well, The second interview was with three SEIU members and focused on my research experience, specifically they went over the writing sample I sent upon request. It seemed like they read my Thesis, that was a nice, as they asked thoughtful questions that allowed me to reflect on the research I have conducted.

The interviewers were focused on how I processed thoughts regarding labor organizing, specifically unionization. Two of the interviewers seemed burnt out, I assume they had been conducting interviews all day, but the higher level person seemed rather chipper after the interview got rolling. With respect to the two tired interviewers, the third, higher level person was interviewing remotely and had no direct relation to the position in which I was applying. I'm not sure how this relates to their decision making process, but it may be useful to someone out there applying with SEIU (good luck).

Tomorrow three weeks will have passed with no offer/response since my second interview. I sent an email after the second week had passed reiterating my interest in the position and briefly highlighting my qualifications. No response. This makes me nervous (though hopeful as I did not receive notice of rejection), as I am earnestly seeking experience in labor research.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions prospective applicants may have.

Interview Question – Questions were easily anticipated. Try not to be nervous.   Answer Question

Organizer and Organizer In Training Interview

I applied online and interviewed at SEIU.

Interview Details – The first interview I had with them, they had all the candidates get together in a hotel just outside Philadelphia. They had a whole room full of people with organizing and campaign backgrounds, but they still talked to us as if we were stupid and didn't know anything about organizing.

One of the things they did was tell us what SEIU stands for, as if we were too dumb to look into who it was we applied for a job with. Then they told us obvious things like "always cover your tattoos."

If you have a room full of experienced candidates, don't do that!

They made us practice doing organizing conversations, which makes sense but is still insulting.

SEIU employees are always keen on telling you that they have been organizing for X amount of years, and that somehow makes them better than you (regardless of what your experience is). Of course, union density has been declining over the past ten years, so clearly the old guard of organizers isn't as good as they say they are.

They spoke to me like I was dumb just because I appeared younger. Later in the year I met an older SEIU employee who told me they treated younger people like dirt when she first started too.

Another interview I had with SEIU was in the DC metro area. It was just the interviewers and I. They started off by making it obvious that they didn't read my resume. That is a very unprofessional thing. You should look at someone's resume before bringing them in for an interview. I could tell they didn't bother to look at my resume because they asked me what my experience was with unions. Had they looked at my resume they'd know. I felt insulted.

Interview Question – SEIU tends to ask a lot of dumb interview questions that have nothing to do with the job, such as which famous people you'd have a dinner party with. Or what laws you would make if you could. They think it's helpful, but it has nothing to do with organizing.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SEIU in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through the SEIU's website, and was contacted by an HR person to take an online test a few days later. They advised that the test would take about 90 minutes and I would need a calculator.

The test was fairly straightforward, but was it like going back to high school for a bit. Weighted averages, percent increases, etc. It did take me almost the entire required time I believe.

Two days later I was contacted to set up a phone interview. I was also asked to send in a writing sample. The phone interview was fairly straightforward and lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked about my experience and my interest in this kind of job, which would be researching corporations to support union organizers' work.

I was contacted about a week later with their decision.

Interview Question – The actual interview was pretty straightforward, but the online test was definitely a blast from the past.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior IT Manager Interview

Senior IT Manager
Oakland, CA

Interviewed at SEIU

Interview Details – We went through reorganization so my job moved directly over.

Interview Question – Again I was not given any questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everything is predetermined.

Internal Organizer Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SEIU in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was long but not unreasonable. After the initial interview most candidates are interviewed by a panel of members. This is the most important part of the interview to me because the Union will probably not hire a person the members don't like.

Interview Question – I had to tak a math test. It wasn't very difficult but I imagine it can be difficult for those not confident in their math skills.   Answer Question

Internal Worksite Organizer Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SEIU.

Interview Details – Submitted resume to SEIU.org job bank and recevied an e-mail a few days later setting up phone interview. Prior to phonw interview was give a written skills test with 3 questions and 30 minutes to complete and send back in. Phone interview was the presentation of action plan, speech, and organizing plan. Second interview was the following week with Regional Director and Chief Elected Officer. Offer made, references check, and start date was the following week.

Interview Question – Pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated more salary than the posting stated.

Union Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SEIU.

Interview Details – Phone interview in the first round, then flown to Sacramento to interview with a panel of 5 or 6, and last an interview with Talent Management Director and the President

Interview Question – Pretty normal questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SEIU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SEIU interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by SEIU employees and interview candidates.