SEIU Interview Questions

2.7

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Applied for a Research Analyst position online. Approximately 2+ weeks later, received e-mail invitation to take online Research Analyst Exam. Upon completion of exam, never heard from SEIU re: this position again.

After applying for another Research Analyst position a year later, again, received an e-mail invitation to take online Research Analyst Exam. Attempted to take exam, but was blocked. I'm assuming it's because you can only take the exam once within a certain time period. Followed up with exam coordinator multiple times via e-mail and received no response.

Interview Questions
    • Research Analyst Exam is timed. I believe you are given 1.5-2 hours to complete 15 short answer/multiple choice questions and an essay. *My online exam actually abruptly shut down on me before I had finished and well before the allotted time had run. I informed the exam coordinator via e-mail and she was able to make arrangements for me to take conclusion of exam.

Test instructions encourage you to show your work for short answer questions. Examples of questions asked:
      - At Smith Corporation, you have 5 execs making salary in the amount of $100,000, 3 managers making salary in the amount of $75,000, and 8 associates making salary in the amount of $45,000. What is the weighted average of these employees' salaries?
      - Smith Corporation pays for worker benefits in full, in the amount of $100 per worker per month. Next year they want employees to cover 15% of their benefits costs. What will this cost annually amount to for worker?
      - Smith Corporation has 5 contractors making $100,000 per year and 5 consultants making $50,000 per year. They propose to raise contractors' salary by $2K per year and consultants' by $500 per year. If union wants across-the board raise that amounts to same total costs that Smith Corporation is proposing to pay, what across-the board percentage of current salaries should union propose?
      - Smith Corporation has 100 desks and 90% of them are staffed. How many unstaffed desks are there?
      - Question provides a list of 9 numbers representing the profit figures of 9 different companies. You are asked to compute the mean. Subsequent question asks you to compute the median. Next question is multiple choice asks you which more accurately describes the average profit of these companies (your choices are A. Mean or B. Median).
      - Next few questions based on a provided table. Using specific figures/data found in table, you are asked to make some computations and draw some conclusions (based on what the table's data suggests).
      - Next few questions show several different graph, labeled A-F. Axises are not labeled per se, but you can visually get a sense of what the slope of the curve is (some contain a linear line, some contain a curved line, others feature a line that goes up and down). Questions will pose a scenario, and you have to identify which graph most accurately describes the trend described in the scenario. Example: each year for the last several years, Smith corporation has been decreasing the price of toothpaste at equal increments. Which graph best represents the selling price of toothpaste during these years? (Followed my multiple choice of graph options.)
      - There is a short answer questions where they provide a table and ask you to critique it (i.e. problems with layout, accuracy, etc.).

Answer Question

Strategic Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SEIU in September 2014.

I missed a phone call from the manager asking to set up an interview time. I eventually got in touch with him and we set up a time for a longer interview over the phone, where discussed my qualifications and background, the responsibilities of the position, and behavioral questions. The conversation lasted for over an hour. The manager told me that there were at least two others in the running for the position and that they were going to make their final decision within the week. I was told I would be called either to visit the office (in Houston) or possibly informed that I was selected. A week passed and I was not called.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were perfunctory--nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SEIU.

Applied for an internship in the political department. Was contacted a few days later, had interview the next week. Interview was with both internship coordinators, asked about experiences in school and in past internships. Very relaxed interview, more of a conversation to assess if personalities/political leanings matched.
    Next week had panel interview with several members from the political department. Similar questions, a bit more technical than the first interview (strengths, weaknesses, knowledge of research databases). Interviewers were very welcoming and not at all intimidating. After interview took a test where I edited a 2-page document.
    Met with the political department director a week later. Started as a more formal interview, asked about career goals, 5 year plan, etc. Ended up talking about sports and had a nice chat.
    Offered position 2 days later. Overall process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you overcame adversity or had to stand up for your beliefs   Answer Question

Internal Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SEIU in April 2014.

Sent Resume and Cover letter to HR Department. Received Email Requesting Interview. If Interested in Interview I would have to provide a Writing Sample, and I would also need to take an online 30 minute written exam. After completing these steps I was interviewed by a panel of individuals. Candidates were interviewed in succession on the same day.

30 minute timed exam: administered via email. contacted by staff over the phone. Email with scenerio sent while on the phone. Once document is opened and candidate ready, staff hangs up and calls you back in thirty minutes to ask you to send the document back via email.

Interview Questions
    • Given thirty minutes: I was presented with a scenario and asked to create a plan of action (two month time line), leaflets, and a two minute speech.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SEIU in March 2014.

Sent an email with resume and a writing sample. I was contacted to meet the manager two weeks later. Just very basic questions, like "Why are you interested in SEIU", and some questions about my background and experiences. A second round interview and a skill test is required. Got the offer, but declined.

Senior Campaign Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SEIU in November 2013.

Applied on the website and was simultaneously referred by an employee.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. One question that I could have answered better was where I see myself in five years. Have answers to standard questions like this written out, rehearsed and tailored toward the company and the position.   Answer Question

Organizer and Organizer In Training Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SEIU.

The first interview I had with them, they had all the candidates get together in a hotel just outside Philadelphia. They had a whole room full of people with organizing and campaign backgrounds, but they still talked to us as if we were stupid and didn't know anything about organizing.

One of the things they did was tell us what SEIU stands for, as if we were too dumb to look into who it was we applied for a job with. Then they told us obvious things like "always cover your tattoos."

If you have a room full of experienced candidates, don't do that!

They made us practice doing organizing conversations, which makes sense but is still insulting.

SEIU employees are always keen on telling you that they have been organizing for X amount of years, and that somehow makes them better than you (regardless of what your experience is). Of course, union density has been declining over the past ten years, so clearly the old guard of organizers isn't as good as they say they are.

They spoke to me like I was dumb just because I appeared younger. Later in the year I met an older SEIU employee who told me they treated younger people like dirt when she first started too.

Another interview I had with SEIU was in the DC metro area. It was just the interviewers and I. They started off by making it obvious that they didn't read my resume. That is a very unprofessional thing. You should look at someone's resume before bringing them in for an interview. I could tell they didn't bother to look at my resume because they asked me what my experience was with unions. Had they looked at my resume they'd know. I felt insulted.

Interview Questions
    • SEIU tends to ask a lot of dumb interview questions that have nothing to do with the job, such as which famous people you'd have a dinner party with. Or what laws you would make if you could. They think it's helpful, but it has nothing to do with organizing.   Answer Question

Field Researcher Low Wage Worker Campaign Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SEIU in October 2013.

Received a call day after submitting resume. Took a test that week, and a week later I conducted two interviews. The first I was nervous, the second seemed to go well, The second interview was with three SEIU members and focused on my research experience, specifically they went over the writing sample I sent upon request. It seemed like they read my Thesis, that was a nice, as they asked thoughtful questions that allowed me to reflect on the research I have conducted.

The interviewers were focused on how I processed thoughts regarding labor organizing, specifically unionization. Two of the interviewers seemed burnt out, I assume they had been conducting interviews all day, but the higher level person seemed rather chipper after the interview got rolling. With respect to the two tired interviewers, the third, higher level person was interviewing remotely and had no direct relation to the position in which I was applying. I'm not sure how this relates to their decision making process, but it may be useful to someone out there applying with SEIU (good luck).

Tomorrow three weeks will have passed with no offer/response since my second interview. I sent an email after the second week had passed reiterating my interest in the position and briefly highlighting my qualifications. No response. This makes me nervous (though hopeful as I did not receive notice of rejection), as I am earnestly seeking experience in labor research.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions prospective applicants may have.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easily anticipated. Try not to be nervous.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SEIU in August 2013.

I applied through the SEIU's website, and was contacted by an HR person to take an online test a few days later. They advised that the test would take about 90 minutes and I would need a calculator.

The test was fairly straightforward, but was it like going back to high school for a bit. Weighted averages, percent increases, etc. It did take me almost the entire required time I believe.

Two days later I was contacted to set up a phone interview. I was also asked to send in a writing sample. The phone interview was fairly straightforward and lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked about my experience and my interest in this kind of job, which would be researching corporations to support union organizers' work.

I was contacted about a week later with their decision.

Interview Questions
    • The actual interview was pretty straightforward, but the online test was definitely a blast from the past.   Answer Question

Senior IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

We went through reorganization so my job moved directly over.

Everything is predetermined.