SEOmoz Interview Questions & Reviews

2 interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at SEOmoz in January 2011.

This interview consisted of a phone interview and a skills test. The skills test took place online and asked a variety of object-oriented and design questions. After about a week, I received a phone interview. The interviewer asked a multitude of questions related to data structures, design patterns, object-oriented concepts, and basic computer concepts like the difference between a thread and a process. After these questions, the interviewer asked to design a search algorithm for a particular case. Since the interviewer admitted to not being an engineer, I described the easiest-to-describe-but-worst-search-algorithm ever, the bubble sort. Probably not the best answer, but it is very easy to convey to a non-technical person over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What does MVC stand for? Describe what an MVC is. When would you implement an MVC?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SEOmoz in August 2011.

After submitting my resume, SeoMoz quickly followed-up by asking me to fill-out a personality questionnaire. It had eight lengthy questions about work style, career goals, and some BS stuff about describing a situation where you overcame conflict with a co-worker.

A few weeks later they contacted me for a technical phone interview with the hiring manager. She asked questions about the following:
    - Data structures, like binary trees, and hash maps.
    - How to implement a cache
    Then she asked me to write some code in a shared document for implementing the fibonacci sequence, both recursively and iteratively.
    Afterwards, she asked me to email her a solution for a more complex coding problem about implementing a string-based calculator, which took a few hours to fulfill.

They contacted me for a second phone interview a few weeks later. This time, with a software engineer who had an arrogant attitude. He asked me to explain the trade-offs between storing data in flat files versus relational databases. Then he asked to solve a medium difficulty coding question in a shared document about partitioning an array of integers into two sets.

Interview Questions
    • String Calculator
      Evaluate the following expression “2+3*4+1/5”
      Assumptions: Input string only contains single digit positive integers between the plus, minus, multiply, and division operators.
        View Answer
    • Find the Equalibrium Point...

Given an array of random integers. Find the index in the array where the sum of the values on the left side is closest to the sum of the values on the right side.

Example 1: { 4, -2, 3, -3, 2, 1 }
      The equalibrium point yields the following two sets:
      {4, -2} {3, -3, 2, 1}

Example 2: { -1, 3, -2}
      The equalibrium point yields the following two sets:
      {} { -1, 3, -2}
        Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at SEOmoz

Worked for SEOmoz? Contribute to the Community!