SERENA Software

SERENA Software Interview Questions

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SERENA Software in June 2013.

Very detailed process and you can tell it's designed to hire the best candidate for the job. Starts with several phone interviews that lead up to a panel interview. Very lengthy but worth it as you learn a lot about the people and the company throughout the process.

Staff Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SERENA Software.

Went through a series of 3 interviews. One initial phone HR screening, one technical phone interview with two technical resources and a final in person inteview with senior executives.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were scenario based on how you would handle certain customer situations or issues that arise.   View Answer
    Negotiation phase was short and to the point. They have specific define ranges for each technical position.

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SERENA Software in April 2010.

Headhunter coordinated initial meeting with Regional Director. My new manager and I had previously worked together. Being familiar with my work performance, he endorsed me. I had also worked with or was familiar with everyone else on the team. Being known entities made identifying a good fit easier. The headhunter then coordinated the offering negotiations.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your previous job?   View Answer
    Headhunter coordinated. Offer was below asking, but further discussion led to a mutually acceptable package.

Director of Professional Services Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SERENA Software in May 2009.

Quick and easy. I had been an employee before and so the process was quick

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SERENA Software.

I had an interview at the office and also phone call with my future American boss and another technical specialist from the US office. 1-1 interview at the office was more technical, with tests, tricky questions, writing the example code. While phone interview was more about my experience and background, though some interesting programming questions/situations and their resolutions were discussed. It was surprising to have the director of Kyiv office on the interview, even more surprising was to talk with him about some internals of the programming language :)

Interview Questions
    • There were some code examples those are not realistic to meet in real life, so you should to understand well how compiler behaves, execution order, etc. to answer them.
      Traditionally there were some logical exercises to utilize your brain CPU 100% ;)

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SERENA Software in February 2009.

I was asked general questions about C++ and Java