SERENA Software

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SERENA Software in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very detailed process and you can tell it's designed to hire the best candidate for the job. Starts with several phone interviews that lead up to a panel interview. Very lengthy but worth it as you learn a lot about the people and the company throughout the process.

Very Easy Interview

Director of Professional Services Interview

Director of Professional Services

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SERENA Software in May 2009.

Interview Details – Quick and easy. I had been an employee before and so the process was quick

Interview Question – Don't expect too much from the interview   Answer Question

Staff Consultant Interview

Staff Consultant
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at SERENA Software.

Interview Details – Went through a series of 3 interviews. One initial phone HR screening, one technical phone interview with two technical resources and a final in person inteview with senior executives.

Interview Question – Most difficult questions were scenario based on how you would handle certain customer situations or issues that arise.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was short and to the point. They have specific define ranges for each technical position.

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Senior Solutions Architect
Vienna, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SERENA Software in April 2010.

Interview Details – Headhunter coordinated initial meeting with Regional Director. My new manager and I had previously worked together. Being familiar with my work performance, he endorsed me. I had also worked with or was familiar with everyone else on the team. Being known entities made identifying a good fit easier. The headhunter then coordinated the offering negotiations.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your previous job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Headhunter coordinated. Offer was below asking, but further discussion led to a mutually acceptable package.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SERENA Software.

Interview Details – I had an interview at the office and also phone call with my future American boss and another technical specialist from the US office. 1-1 interview at the office was more technical, with tests, tricky questions, writing the example code. While phone interview was more about my experience and background, though some interesting programming questions/situations and their resolutions were discussed. It was surprising to have the director of Kyiv office on the interview, even more surprising was to talk with him about some internals of the programming language :)

Interview Question – There were some code examples those are not realistic to meet in real life, so you should to understand well how compiler behaves, execution order, etc. to answer them.
Traditionally there were some logical exercises to utilize your brain CPU 100% ;)
  Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at SERENA Software in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was asked general questions about C++ and Java

Interview Question – no   Answer Question

Worked for SERENA Software? Contribute to the Community!