SGK

Relevance Date Difficulty

QC Test Engineer Interview

QC Test Engineer
Des Plaines, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at SGK in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was with three people (Sr. QC Test Engineer, QC Manager, and Director of QA). After the interview I had to complete a QA Assessment about writing test cases. They evaluate the way you write test cases and your overall knowledge.

Interview Question – What's the most impressive task have you accomplish in your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SGK in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the job via their website on a Thursday. The following Wednesday, I received an email from HR reaching out to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled 30 minutes to chat the next day. The call lasted only 20 minutes, and we had already decided to schedule an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Later that evening, I received an email with the full schedule list of the 4 different people I'd be meeting with and the date and time. 1 week later, 2 hours total, 30min each with each person.

The next Thursday, I met with the hiring manager (Account Director), another Sr. AE, an ACD, and an AE. The next morning, I had an email from HR following up on the interview, and an offer was extended via email that day.

Interview Question – What is your most favorite project you've worked on?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didn't decline the offer. They withdrew their offer 2 days later, telling me they had "restructured the department" and could no longer offer me the job.

Though there was no mention of a timeline, I was told the offer expired and was contingent on a drug screen, background check, credit check, etc. None of which I took, nor was told I needed to take.

I had a couple follow up questions/negotiation-type responses, and instead of answering or responding to any of them, they took the offer off the table completely.

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SGK.

Interview Details – Met recruiter at job fair. Told him I was decent at programming. They called me for a phone interview, after which they called me in for an interview. They have several office locations, but the one for programming is in Des plaines. Their main office is in downtown chicago but I think only graphic designers interviews are held there.

Interview Question – They only gave one questions. It had to do with creating an error checking program for a Canvas object that checks that each of the objects inside that Canvas have valid names before the file is saved.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

IT Interview

IT

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at SGK.

Interview Details – Several months after applying I received an email from HR. I was asked for available times for a quick chat. I provided 6 openings. 5 days later, I hadn't heard anything back, so I sent another email to HR with updated times. They responded with a confirmation for a time I hadn't provided. Not sure why I was asked for availability then ignored. After I spoke with HR, I had a 45 minute call with the hiring manager. He was 5 minutes late and ended the call 5 minutes early before I had an opportunity to ask questions about the role. The manager was t even familiar with what the skills needed to be successful in the role! He even mentioned that one of the tasks in the role was something suggested by the person who had held the job prior and since left the company. Am I working for the manager or the guy who no longer is there? I sent a thank you email after and immediate received a reply containing one of the least professional rejections I have ever heard. I think I dodged a bullet.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Normal "tell me about a time when...." Sort of stuff   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Production Artist Interview

Production Artist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at SGK.

Interview Details – Met with Production mgr. after freelancing for 1 month. We agreed on a salary and I was hired.

Interview Question – Will you do other work if offered?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Fast

Freelance Production Artist Interview

Freelance Production Artist
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SGK in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied in April 2011. First contact was from HR "talent acquisition manager" in July. Phone tag, assesment testing, interview and drug test took about 3 weeks, followed up with minor phone and email communication detailing start date instructions. Actual interview scheduled with 4 managers but only 2 were available. Questioning was mostly behavioral based. I didn't like I was told several times in the interview that the department would be retaining 1 or more freelancers permanently which didn't happen! And, I believed afterwards this was only an attempt to motivate the dozen other freelancers to give 150% by competing against each other.

Interview Question – Can you tell me about a specific situation when you handled working with a manager with an "overbearing" personality?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Requested 10% more than offered, although their response was a little awkward, I did receive it.

Prepress Operator Interview

Prepress Operator
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at SGK in July 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact was made via email, then a formal onsite interview was conducted. The manager that hired me no longer works for the company.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions pertaining to the work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would get in writing the company review policies, to make sure you will get annual performance reviews.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
North Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SGK in January 2008.

Interview Details – I applied through a colleague that I knew, who forwarded my resume. The interviews started off with phone interviews, and were then followed by a full day of face to face interviews with management and colleagues. Management was very friendly, and the company has a strong focus on team work.

Standard preparation, be well prepared on knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I negotiated strongly for salary and vacation. Benefits are good.

Copywriter II Interview

Copywriter II
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at SGK in February 2007.

Interview Details – I sent a resume to an ad I found on Careerbuilder. I was contacted pretty quickly by a recruiter and given a phone interview. I was also given all kinds of tests to take. Shortly after all that was completed I was scheduled for an in person interview. This whole process took about 3 weeks. I interviewed with a group of about 4 people and an HR representative. Following the interview I sent thank you letters to everyone I had interviewed with. I followed up via phone and email with the hiring manager weekly for about 2 months after the interview. I never got a single response to any phone messages (I never actually got to talk with her) or emails. Finally after no response for 2 months I gave up. Two months later I got a call offering me the job. Since I was unemployed and desperate I accepted the position. A few months after accepting the position the companywas reorganized and I was shipped off to a different division in a different role.

Negotiation Details – What negotiation phase. I was given an offer and told that was the offer an nothing else could be negotiated.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at SGK in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the "Talent Acquisition Team" and the Director/VP or whatever of HR. Regardless, neither had a clue of the job or the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Horrible at best. They were late to the interview and both wanted to talk about themselves more than they wanted to talk about the company or the job.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SGK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SGK interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by SGK employees and interview candidates.