SGK

Updated Oct 29, 2014

2.7

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SGK in May 2014.

I applied for the job via their website on a Thursday. The following Wednesday, I received an email from HR reaching out to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled 30 minutes to chat the next day. The call lasted only 20 minutes, and we had already decided to schedule an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Later that evening, I received an email with the full schedule list of the 4 different people I'd be meeting with and the date and time. 1 week later, 2 hours total, 30min each with each person.

The next Thursday, I met with the hiring manager (Account Director), another Sr. AE, an ACD, and an AE. The next morning, I had an email from HR following up on the interview, and an offer was extended via email that day.

Interview Questions
    • What is your most favorite project you've worked on?   View Answer

I didn't decline the offer. They withdrew their offer 2 days later, telling me they had "restructured the department" and could no longer offer me the job.

Though there was no mention of a timeline, I was told the offer expired and was contingent on a drug screen, background check, credit check, etc. None of which I took, nor was told I needed to take.

I had a couple follow up questions/negotiation-type responses, and instead of answering or responding to any of them, they took the offer off the table completely.

Java Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SGK.

Met recruiter at job fair. Told him I was decent at programming. They called me for a phone interview, after which they called me in for an interview. They have several office locations, but the one for programming is in Des plaines. Their main office is in downtown chicago but I think only graphic designers interviews are held there.

Interview Questions
    • They only gave one questions. It had to do with creating an error checking program for a Canvas object that checks that each of the objects inside that Canvas have valid names before the file is saved.   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SGK.

Several months after applying I received an email from HR. I was asked for available times for a quick chat. I provided 6 openings. 5 days later, I hadn't heard anything back, so I sent another email to HR with updated times. They responded with a confirmation for a time I hadn't provided. Not sure why I was asked for availability then ignored. After I spoke with HR, I had a 45 minute call with the hiring manager. He was 5 minutes late and ended the call 5 minutes early before I had an opportunity to ask questions about the role. The manager was t even familiar with what the skills needed to be successful in the role! He even mentioned that one of the tasks in the role was something suggested by the person who had held the job prior and since left the company. Am I working for the manager or the guy who no longer is there? I sent a thank you email after and immediate received a reply containing one of the least professional rejections I have ever heard. I think I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Normal "tell me about a time when...." Sort of stuff   Answer Question

Production Artist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at SGK.

Met with Production mgr. after freelancing for 1 month. We agreed on a salary and I was hired.

Fast

Freelance Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SGK in August 2011.

Applied in April 2011. First contact was from HR "talent acquisition manager" in July. Phone tag, assesment testing, interview and drug test took about 3 weeks, followed up with minor phone and email communication detailing start date instructions. Actual interview scheduled with 4 managers but only 2 were available. Questioning was mostly behavioral based. I didn't like I was told several times in the interview that the department would be retaining 1 or more freelancers permanently which didn't happen! And, I believed afterwards this was only an attempt to motivate the dozen other freelancers to give 150% by competing against each other.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a specific situation when you handled working with a manager with an "overbearing" personality?   View Answer
    Requested 10% more than offered, although their response was a little awkward, I did receive it.

QC Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SGK in April 2011.

Interview was with three people (Sr. QC Test Engineer, QC Manager, and Director of QA). After the interview I had to complete a QA Assessment about writing test cases. They evaluate the way you write test cases and your overall knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most impressive task have you accomplish in your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Prepress Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SGK in July 2010.

Initial contact was made via email, then a formal onsite interview was conducted. The manager that hired me no longer works for the company.

Interview Questions
    I would get in writing the company review policies, to make sure you will get annual performance reviews.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SGK in January 2008.

I applied through a colleague that I knew, who forwarded my resume. The interviews started off with phone interviews, and were then followed by a full day of face to face interviews with management and colleagues. Management was very friendly, and the company has a strong focus on team work.

Standard preparation, be well prepared on knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.   Answer Question
    • What are you looking for in your next job?   Answer Question
    I negotiated strongly for salary and vacation. Benefits are good.

Copywriter II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SGK in February 2007.

I sent a resume to an ad I found on Careerbuilder. I was contacted pretty quickly by a recruiter and given a phone interview. I was also given all kinds of tests to take. Shortly after all that was completed I was scheduled for an in person interview. This whole process took about 3 weeks. I interviewed with a group of about 4 people and an HR representative. Following the interview I sent thank you letters to everyone I had interviewed with. I followed up via phone and email with the hiring manager weekly for about 2 months after the interview. I never got a single response to any phone messages (I never actually got to talk with her) or emails. Finally after no response for 2 months I gave up. Two months later I got a call offering me the job. Since I was unemployed and desperate I accepted the position. A few months after accepting the position the companywas reorganized and I was shipped off to a different division in a different role.

What negotiation phase. I was given an offer and told that was the offer an nothing else could be negotiated.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SGK in August 2014.

The hiring manager gave me the hopes that I would be the right candidate for the role but 2 days later I was shocked to receive an auto generated email informing me that the position is closed. I checked with that manager and she told me they decided to go ahead with a candidate despite the fact I had the right experience. Hopes were raised but shattered.