SHI International

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SHI International in March 2010.

Interview Details – Lengthy 3-4 step interview process. First phone screened by HR, phone screen by DM, meet and screened by local team, face to face interview with DM then face to face with Regional Sales Director.

Interview Question – I was asked to be critical of myself regarding a large opportunity that I had lost at a previous position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Base salary + commission.

Account Executive

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SHI International.

Interview Details – The hiring process is managed through the company HQ in New Jersey, but the interviews are handled by the local sales manager, and regional directors. In my experience, the interview process was pretty straight forward, there is a lot of value placed on previous sales experience, and on cultivating long standing executive level relationships.

Interview Question – The most challenging aspect of the interview was the wide range of products that SHI sells. Depending on pervious experience the line of questioning can go just about anywhere. You're better off admitting that you don't have experience around a certain technology, but you're eager to learn, rather than trying to fake it, or study up for the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For account executives, there in not much room for negotiating on the base salary. There is a very aggressive commission structure, and you have an opportunity to make as much money as you want, but it will be heavily weighted to commissions rather than base salary.

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SHI International in April 2013.

Interview Details – The initial interview (via phone) was with HR. We reviewed the job description and expectations, no unusual questions. Interview #2 (via phone) was with a Regional Manager. No unusual questions except the job description changed. Interview #3 (via phone) was with the Regional Manager and a National Manager. Once again, the job description changed.

Interview Question – Prior to the 3rd interview, I was asked to prepare several items. Considering my level of experience I found some of this unusual.

2 Business References
Written Communication
2 Writing Samples (you can delete or block the recipient) – Should be actual emails that you have sent to someone
• Customer Communication where you introduce yourself and/or your current company (Prospect or non-customer today)
• Vendor Communication that shows you understand how important our partners are to our business

Research/Initiative/Understanding of the Territory
• Number of Municipalities in each state - How they are organized
• Websites that will be helpful at finding prospect accounts and customers information
• Working in the Government space, there is quite a bit of legislation/policies/agendas that agencies –cities and towns are now required to abide to. For many of these policies there is an IT based solution. Please pick one of these new initiatives that could be an avenue to sell hardware, software, or professional services. Detail the products or vendors you would approach to work with you , how you would engage them, and put together a quick presentation that you might deliver to the client to sell them on the solution.
• Create a list of top 10 accounts that you would target as your “big accounts” to prospect and sell to. List at least one initiative they have going on over the next 12 months that you see SHI can assist with

6 Month Plan – What do you think it will take to be successful in this territory?
• Should include your Daily/Monthly/Quarterly Goals for yourself – CALLS – APPOINTMENT – QUOTES.
• Should include your Business Needs from SHI to accomplish these Goals
  Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at SHI International.

Interview Details – Very laid back, but also very direct with questions.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SHI International in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very nice people just do not believe everything you heat

Interview Question – Tell about yourself   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Company lied about the turnover rate and tried to offer me less than what job description was

Intern Interview

Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SHI International in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initially met with SHI during a career fair where one of the managers flagged me down. He was nice, though a bit forward. Ended up securing an interview with one of the managers. He wasn't really sure how to conduct one but was nice enough. After that I had 2 on 1 interview with some of upper management. It was a little intimidating but we were able to joke and have a good time.

Interview Questions

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SHI International in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of a brief phone screening, a phone interview, and then an interview with 2 hiring managers. These managers are in charge of corporate inside sales for the entire US. They were professional, personable, and knowledgable about the field and what SHI does within the field. The company is growing and seems like a positive place to work with many nice people.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses that you bring to this position.   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Piscataway, NJ

The process took a day - interviewed at SHI International in July 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a basic review of resume and skills over the phone. They called me in for a face to face interview a few days later. During this interview we again reviewed the resume. They described the workings of the company and what the job would entail. Went over any questions that i had. After this I was told to answer 5 basic questions on a computer that ensured i knew the basics of the business world and something about shi.

Interview Questions

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SHI International in September 2012.

Interview Details – Process is inconsistent. Generally speaking, candidates will meet with the Sales Manager, and then the Director of Sales. Sometimes there is a peer interview. For the most part, SHI is looking for hunters who understand the IT market (Microsoft/nonMicrosoft software/datacenter solutions/commodity hardware). Experience in the field is a nice to have, but certainly not mandatory. Young, enthusiastic, hungry, coin-operated candidates will certainly have an advantage.

Interview Question – Familiarity with the VAR community, understanding of competitive landscape.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unwavering - there is little room to negotiate.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SHI International in April 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was very straight forward. I ultimately was very unimpressed with the offer in terms of compensation and was turned off by the junior level HR person who made 5-6 mistakes with the offer letter.

Interview Question – Interview was very simple   Answer Question