SHIFT Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SHIFT Communications.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume, and then received a follow-up email requesting an interview in their SF office. I was interviewed one-on-one by three different people, all of whom were very gracious in giving useful advice for getting into PR and feedback on my interview responses. Following the interview, I had to complete two writing exams, one writing a summary and one writing a press release. The office as a whole was very friendly.

Interview Question – I have given you a project that's due tomorrow. Another co-worker asks you to help them complete a project that's due today. If you accept this new project, you may not complete the one due tomorrow on time. What do you do?   View Answer

Public Relations Intern Interview

Public Relations Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at SHIFT Communications.

Interview Details – Submitted cover letter and resume, quickly scheduled a phone interview and was asked to come onsite. I met with about 4 of the people I'd be working with.

Everything up to that point was a smooth and pleasant experience; the interview set up had clearly been well organized.

However towards the end of my interview someone came in, cut me off mid-sentence and ushered me out, saying that they were out of time to speak with me.

Without a doubt the rudest experience I have ever had applying for a job. I know I was just applying for the lowly position of an intern and it's an employer's market but this is not the way to treat candidates.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you solved a problem at work.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SHIFT Communications in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process went OK except that I played phone tag with a senior associate for three weeks; It was agonizing. Shift is a very busy firm and depending on the location, they are attempting to hire too many people at once. I would recommend they slow down a bit to reduce turnover. However, it is a great company to work for if you're trying to break into the market.

Telephone interviewing seems to come first and if they ever call you back, you might get a request for an in-person interview. I actually got an in-person interview request but was never called back for the exact date. After that, I moved on and became employed somewhere else. Then I heard the Shift actually laid a few people off months after my "interview attempt".

Interview Question – They will ask you what you would do if a client were unhappy with your results or if a junior person/intern messed up while you were managing a project. You will also be asked what value you could provide to the company.   View Answer

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SHIFT Communications in August 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a bit lengthy, but they worked with me and kept their word when it came time to offer me the job. I was placed through writing tests and met with multiple people at the agency and they say if you get a phone call you likely got the job--if you receive an email you likely didn't get the job.

Interview Question – Think of a time when you took the initiative to do something to better the company you were working for that you didn't have to do? What was it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Once I received the phone call, I had them email me the offer letter and any other paperwork and told them that I would like some time to go over everything to make my final decision. Once I emailed them back, the process was fairly smooth. Since this was my first career straight out of college, I didn't attempt a negotiation of salary.

PR Coordinator Interview

PR Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SHIFT Communications in July 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview was straightforward, everyone was very pleasant who I spoke with. Staff at front desk was very welcoming as were passerby. One woman noticed I was wearing a suit in their casual office and asked if I had an interview so wished me good luck!

The interview itself was very laid back and conversational. Thought it went well, but apparently it didn't!

Interview Question – What do you like about technology PR?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SHIFT Communications? Contribute to the Community!

SHIFT Communications Photos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SHIFT Communications interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by SHIFT Communications employees and interview candidates.