SHRM Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015

Global Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SHRM (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Initially had a 15-minute long phone interview then got a call a week later to come in for an in-person interview. About half an hour before, while I was on my way to the interview they called me to let me know that they decided to hold off hiring for that position. I was pretty disappointed. The whole interview process up to that point took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you faced a problem at work and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question

Senior Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at SHRM (Alexandria, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

After submitting the online application, I was contacted via email to set up a time for the first stage. The phone interview was a 30 minute conversation with someone from HR. She very quickly identified that we were on the same page in terms of salary expectations. This discussion was very general. I was then invited to be interviewed by the hiring manager and the director of that work group. Each of these meetings were 1:1, approximately an hour each, discussing more specific aspects of the work their team is responsible for and exploring in more detail my personal work experience. There was an easy balance struck between traditional interview questions (tell me about a difficult project), questions that explored my experiences, and discussion of the responsibilities of the position.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of detailed questions asked about SPSS processes. i.e., What is the first thing you do when looking at a new data set?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SHRM.

Interview

1st interview - telephone interview. 2nd interview was with potential boss (HRperson that was supposed to sit in on the interview came after the interview had ended) 3rd interview was a 3 part process 1) interview with the boss of the potential boss, the potential boss 2) interview with a potential peer and a potential team member and 3) interview with HR.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. It was all pretty standard interview questions. The 2nd interview was an exercise of questions from a behavioral assessment packet. The interviewer's time management of the process could have been better. He spent the entire time asking those questions, which left very little time for me to ask the questions I prepared. I did ask a few.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SHRM.

Interview

2 rounds interview: -first round: phone interview. Around 30 min. Ask about some experience on Resume -second round: side interview. Most of them are behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Ask about an team-work experience, what's the most difficult situation, how do you deal with it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SHRM.

Interview

Took about 1 month to hear back from someone, had me fill out a survey about my availability and was told that I would hear back in 10 business days if someone is interested.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SHRM.

Interview

This was the most vigorous hiring process I have ever been part of. It started with a phone interview, then an in person interview, and then there was a panel interview 3:1. Everyone was very nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have supervised someone with more experience than you.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SHRM.

Interview

Phone interview lasted 15 minutes process took two weeks

Interview Questions

• Describe your most difficult situation in the work environment and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Membership Engagement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at SHRM (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

The hiring process was unprofessional and misleading. For an organization that says they promote all the best of HR, I am said to report they are the worst breakers of their own rules. My phone interview was postponed, rescheduled and late. No apologies, no excuse, only a callus attitude and this was for the initial interview. I read another glass door review sort of like my experience but I thought there is no way that could be true. Boy was I wrong. Especially in the DC area where making enemies by lying will always hurt you in the long run. The second interview which was 1 month later, I was left in the lobby for 35 min and the HR person still hadn't arrived and the "hiring manger" just happens to walk by to find out why I hadn't shown up. I was lied to in order to find out Public Relations campaign strategies telling me that all the ideas would remain confidential and that they would only use the ideas when they hired me. I was forth coming and honest. I interviewed with the VP of Management engagement who, because I was not a minority women who was not specifically Hispanic, I couldn't understand their culture and thus could not do the job. I was notified by email that I did not get the job and I have later found out that the so called "expert" in the position is using some of my ideas. WHAT A HORRIBLE COMPANY and I will not forget! I now work on the Hill :) Paybacks are sweet.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were regarding me not being a women and hispanic. I guess, I just don't know what to say about how leagal that was but oh well. They wanted to target the hispanic women for membership.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SHRM (Alexandria, VA) in July 2012.

Interview

Process involved a phone interview with the recruiter (who I was not impressed with) followed by a 1x1 interview with the hiring manager and then a panel interview with other stakeholders. The recruiter was very unresponsive and process took over 2 months. I was extremely disappointed having invested multiple hours and days off of work in the interview process that when I was not selected for the position I received an automated/auto-generated email. Working in HR/Recruiting myself - This is certainly not customary and very impersonal. In my workplace we call the candidates who are not selected.

Interview Questions

• What is a problem that you tried to or had to solve more than once.   1 Answer

Marketing Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SHRM (Alexandria, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

First two interviews were one on one. Third interview there were 3 people in the room. Questions were assigned by HR, difficult to answer.