SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory

Updated Dec 30, 2014
Updated Dec 30, 2014

2.9

Senior UNIX Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.

Interview

Phone interview followed by on-site interview and followed by on-site presentation. They ask specific questions. Interviewers are friendly and knowledgeable. They try to judge your knowledge and capability. They don't try to intimidate you or pressurize you. More interested in aptitude, skills and team work qualities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There were no negotiations.

Human Resources Business Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.

Interview

My interview was by phone which was fine with me the position was for a one month contract. Two people interviewed me by phone. I enjoyed my interview process the way it was.

Interview Questions

• The questions where not difficult the where easy and if they where not and I asked them to repeat the questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no this position was through peak technical staffing working at slac

Accelerator Systems Operator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from the hiring manager to set up a phone interview. The interview was very pleasant, and the interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my work. There weren't many classic interview questions; he mostly mentioned something I put on my resume and asked me all about it. Afterward I was told it'd be two weeks to finish the rest of the phone interviews, talk with references, and select candidates for on-site interviews. It's now been over 7 weeks, and the hiring manager hasn't returned any of my phone calls or emails attempting to follow-up with the position. I've just assumed at this point that I wasn't selected for an on-site interview, and the hiring manager isn't bothering to send me a, "I regret to inform you..." email. Maybe it's all for the better, since the reviews of management and working conditions at SLAC that I've read here on Glassdoor are somewhat appalling. Perhaps he just saved me from a terrible job.

Interview Questions

• None; very straight forward and he let me do most of the talking.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.

Interview

Submit your resume online. Phone interview (technical/non-technical), on-site interview (panel), presentation, management interview. It's hard to find your way around SLAC, be sure they give you a map when your interview is scheduled.

Interview Questions

• They made me do a presentation. Not sure if all positions are required to do a presentation. Be ready to show how your experience maps to SLAC's need   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

First had an interview over the phone with one person. Then went thru a number of interviews with a few individuals and a group of engineers. Most of these were very technical. The atmosphere was very relaxed and welcoming. A lot of technical questions on my background and experience as well.

Negotiation

Negotiated 4 weeks of vacation from the start.

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Phone screen, then in person interviews - 3 months after applying online.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Definitely negotiate, they definitely low-ball initial offers

Procurement Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

Panel interview where I was questioned on my background, education, work experience and knowledge of FAR

Interview Questions

• Having to identify specific sections of the FAR and other government regulations in responses to questions.   1 Answer

Administrative Associate Planning Office Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.

Interview

interviewed with one. Person who seemed to think she was in charge of the process was rude, lacked knowledge and she was late. She told me no hire for the department would happen if she didn't like the candidate. I felt like I was interviewing for a high school club.

Interview Questions

• She asked me how I recovered from "blond moments"   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in April 2010.

Interview

The main office called me to come in for interview. There were 3 people I talked to. One supervisor, one management person, one Checker. The checker was the hard part with 5 questions about drafting. I got 3 out of 5 but I said I did not know the other 2 instead of guessing and they seemed to like that. All other questions were easy about where I worked before. You need to bring nice, pretty, clean and complete drawing examples of your work. ;-)

Interview Questions

• How do you show two surfaces to be flat to .002 in the same plan   1 Answer
    • show one hole not thru with flat bottom.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating just one offer except or not.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in October 2009.

Interview

It is a regular type of academic interview. Give a presentation on what you have done, answer questions, then go to lunch with your potential group members. In the afternoon, one on one interview with the group members. References and presentation performance are the key to succeed in the interview.

Interview Questions

• What will you do if you feel the current field is not promising?   Answer Question