SMART Technologies Interview Questions in Calgary, AB

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.6

Regional Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online; got a call about 10 days after asking for a phone interview the next day. After that, I came into the office for an in-person interview with the hiring manager and HR. A week after that, HR called me to schedule a fit interview with members of the team. The final step included completing a writing test and then they checked my references - culminating in an offer.

SCM Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

There was 2 stages of interview. First stage was with the hiring manager and HR. Nothing extraordinary about the first interview. Questions were related to your past experience. Second stage interview involving 6 people, 2 people per group for a 30 minute each. It was called, "Fit Interview". The first group was staff level, second group was manager whom the position will work along with, the third group is the hiring manager and the director.

Both first and second group were asking identical behavioral questions and it was all standard behavioral questions. The last group, however, was very interesting. Hiring manager was completely silent throughout the interview and the director does all the talking. I can see that the director knows about my experience either from my resume and/or the information from the hiring manager whom I met during the first interview. What's so interesting about this interview is the following:

I was performance analyst in the past supporting sales department. The director was asking about the purpose of the reporting/performance measurement that I generated for sales. I answered, one of the purpose is to measure how the sales people perform. The director replied and asked if any sales people was not performing. I told the director that at my most recent work, everyone perform according to the company's standard. Upon hearing my answer, the director said: "well, if that's the case, what's the point for having a reporting/measurement?" To me this is surprising because the idea of having a reporting/performance measurement does not mean that we are going to prevent it to happen in the first place. Can we say about police reporting regarding crimes: "what's the point of having crimes reporting if crimes still happening everywhere?" Although I was tempted, I didn't use this metaphor but instead, politely explaining to the director about other purposes of having a sales reporting.

At one point the director was also asking if I was having experience with Oracle which I did. In return, the director asked :"why do you need to use Oracle?" The director seems like believing that there is no reason why I should be using Oracle in my line of work.

At another point, the director was asking what I would measured if I hired, I answered that I would measure supplier on-time delivery performance. The director replied and asking how am I going to do that. I answered that I would compare the expected delivery date against the actual date but the director kept asking the same question of how am I going to do the delivery measurement.

My impression: instead of giving me "questions", the director was "questioning" my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smart Technologies and not oil & gas company (calgary is full with oil and gas companies)?   Answer Question

Internal Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process consisted of:
    - phone interview with recruiter
    - in-person interview with direct manager + recruiter
    - Fit interview with 3 members of prospective team
    - in-person interview with VP
    - offer

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience in internal communication.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was fairly simple no programming questions they just asked for new ideas on their current products. This involved telling them to add gyroscopes to their drawing pencils and more features.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Questions

• none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners.

After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options.

Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Questions

• questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR.

Brought in for a meeting with the IT manager and team lead.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs.

After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations.

About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead.

This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support.

After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc.
    Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations.

An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Questions

• Technical quiz was probably the hardest part.
      Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.

1 Answer

Negotiation

Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average.

Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with HR followed by technical interview at head office. They spent most of their time telling me about the project they were hiring for, and explaining how important it was. Technical interview involved signing a document not to discuss "proprietary technologie s" and included asking questions about OO basics, and differences between functional programming.

Interview Questions

• Design, from back to front, on paper, a URL shortening service.   Answer Question

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in September 2011.

Interview

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position.

My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me.

Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant.

We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point.

Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't."

At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions

• This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question