SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.8

Tech Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Interview

Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Questions

• Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Educational Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

Initial interview with direct supervisor was excellent. Great report, very professional and informative. Second interview over Skype was challenging. With two others. wasn't clear their relationship to person being hired. referred to job description being emailed to me ahead of time, but I never received it. made it difficult to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Interview Questions

• asked to create a presentation on a topic, wasn't clear what the topic had to do with the position.   Answer Question

ESM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SMART Technologies in July 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with corp recruiter, then District manager, then phone interview with National Sales manager and then the offer. Took place over the course of about two months and was a pretty easy process back then. I was very excited about the prospect of working for SMART at the time as it was just a case of leaving my old employee to find something new and exciting. I also knew that SMART was in trouble financially bit I was willing to take the risk for my career as it was and always will be a good mark on my resume!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none, take it or leave it

Regional Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online; got a call about 10 days after asking for a phone interview the next day. After that, I came into the office for an in-person interview with the hiring manager and HR. A week after that, HR called me to schedule a fit interview with members of the team. The final step included completing a writing test and then they checked my references - culminating in an offer.

SCM Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

There was 2 stages of interview. First stage was with the hiring manager and HR. Nothing extraordinary about the first interview. Questions were related to your past experience. Second stage interview involving 6 people, 2 people per group for a 30 minute each. It was called, "Fit Interview". The first group was staff level, second group was manager whom the position will work along with, the third group is the hiring manager and the director. Both first and second group were asking identical behavioral questions and it was all standard behavioral questions. The last group, however, was very interesting. Hiring manager was completely silent throughout the interview and the director does all the talking. I can see that the director knows about my experience either from my resume and/or the information from the hiring manager whom I met during the first interview. What's so interesting about this interview is the following: I was performance analyst in the past supporting sales department. The director was asking about the purpose of the reporting/performance measurement that I generated for sales. I answered, one of the purpose is to measure how the sales people perform. The director replied and asked if any sales people was not performing. I told the director that at my most recent work, everyone perform according to the company's standard. Upon hearing my answer, the director said: "well, if that's the case, what's the point for having a reporting/measurement?" To me this is surprising because the idea of having a reporting/performance measurement does not mean that we are going to prevent it to happen in the first place. Can we say about police reporting regarding crimes: "what's the point of having crimes reporting if crimes still happening everywhere?" Although I was tempted, I didn't use this metaphor but instead, politely explaining to the director about other purposes of having a sales reporting. At one point the director was also asking if I was having experience with Oracle which I did. In return, the director asked :"why do you need to use Oracle?" The director seems like believing that there is no reason why I should be using Oracle in my line of work. At another point, the director was asking what I would measured if I hired, I answered that I would measure supplier on-time delivery performance. The director replied and asking how am I going to do that. I answered that I would compare the expected delivery date against the actual date but the director kept asking the same question of how am I going to do the delivery measurement. My impression: instead of giving me "questions", the director was "questioning" my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smart Technologies and not oil & gas company (calgary is full with oil and gas companies)?   Answer Question

Internal Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process consisted of: - phone interview with recruiter - in-person interview with direct manager + recruiter - Fit interview with 3 members of prospective team - in-person interview with VP - offer

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience in internal communication.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was fairly simple no programming questions they just asked for new ideas on their current products. This involved telling them to add gyroscopes to their drawing pencils and more features.

Functional Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2014.

Interview

first a phone interview was conducted. Asked behavioural questions & past experiences with some technical questions. Took about 1 hour. They told next step was to have a face to face interview with their whole team. They contacted me after days & said I was selected. The other interview with the team to see if I fit with them well. There were some questions asked. It was overall a good process

Interview Questions

• Past work experience & situations faced   1 Answer

Negotiation

They met my expectation actually exceed it a little. I gave them my expectation & they gave an offer.

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position through my university's job board. I was granted one interview after electronically submitting my resume and qualifications. The interviewers were very relaxed and easy to converse with. They asked a lot of technical questions about features of my language of choice (C++ at this time), but only a couple of coding questions. My impression of the facilities is that they were rather upscale and very pleasant. The office environment seems excellent.

Interview Questions

• How virtual methods are implemented in C++   1 Answer