SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.8

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in December 2009.

Interview

stressful, question-answer, nothing else.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (New Delhi (India)) in May 2012.

Interview

I can only say that if you have decided something in your life then don't look behind. accept little things don't ask to apply good habits and manners in you. always support true personality. I have more to say but I'll say now only this always trust god.

Interview Questions

• What is the mean of your name in Sanskrit?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about Smart Products.   1 Answer

Negotiation

i have never negotiation with my elders.

Functional Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2014.

Interview

first a phone interview was conducted. Asked behavioural questions & past experiences with some technical questions. Took about 1 hour. They told next step was to have a face to face interview with their whole team. They contacted me after days & said I was selected. The other interview with the team to see if I fit with them well. There were some questions asked. It was overall a good process

Interview Questions

• Past work experience & situations faced   1 Answer

Negotiation

They met my expectation actually exceed it a little. I gave them my expectation & they gave an offer.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

Initial interview with direct supervisor was excellent. Great report, very professional and informative. Second interview over Skype was challenging. With two others. wasn't clear their relationship to person being hired. referred to job description being emailed to me ahead of time, but I never received it. made it difficult to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Interview Questions

• asked to create a presentation on a topic, wasn't clear what the topic had to do with the position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in August 2010.

Interview

Apply to jobs posted on the SMART web site. HR calls your for a video interview that you pre-record and submit for asynchronous review. This is like a pre-screen interview. HR calls you for an interview with the hiring manager. HR calls you for a group interview with the team members - fit interview. If all goes well, within the 2 months of initial HR contact, you'll be offered a job. No negotiations were permitted on the job offer.

ESM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies in July 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with corp recruiter, then District manager, then phone interview with National Sales manager and then the offer. Took place over the course of about two months and was a pretty easy process back then. I was very excited about the prospect of working for SMART at the time as it was just a case of leaving my old employee to find something new and exciting. I also knew that SMART was in trouble financially bit I was willing to take the risk for my career as it was and always will be a good mark on my resume!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none, take it or leave it

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Questions

• none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Interview

Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Questions

• Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2008.

Interview

Interviewed for an Area Manager role. Good phone interviews, but the F2F was terrible. The Sales Manager was not professional. His method of interviewing was role plays ( sell me a pencil etc.) and throwing out terms and asking for a definition. By far the worst sales interview I've ever had. I left the interview thinking that this company must be horribly run if this guy was a Sales Manager. Turns out I was correct. Their IPO opened at $17/share and now trades at $1.50/share. This company has consistently missed it's quarterly sales targets, no surprise here!

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs. After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations. About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead. This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support. After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc. Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations. An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Questions

• Technical quiz was probably the hardest part. Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average. Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.