SMART Technologies Interview Questions & Reviews

24 interviews

2.7

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at SMART Technologies in December 2009.

stressful, question-answer, nothing else.

Educational Sales Support Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Initial interview with direct supervisor was excellent. Great report, very professional and informative. Second interview over Skype was challenging. With two others. wasn't clear their relationship to person being hired. referred to job description being emailed to me ahead of time, but I never received it. made it difficult to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Interview Questions
    • asked to create a presentation on a topic, wasn't clear what the topic had to do with the position.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at SMART Technologies in May 2012.

I can only say that if you have decided something in your life then don't look behind. accept little things don't ask to apply good habits and manners in you. always support true personality.
    I have more to say but I'll say now only this always trust god.

Interview Questions
    i have never negotiation with my elders.

Customer Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2009.

Applied online for the position I was considering. Did not hear anything for a while. Then received an email from the hiring manager that I was in consideration for the position. She asked me to answer a few questions about salary expectations, customer service experience, and a few others. I replied to her questions. Five minutes after emailing the answers to her I received a phone call to come in for an interview. We set up a time and came in for a formal interview. I had an interview with the manager of the department and the team lead. They did a one on one with me about my background, how I would respond to situations, basic interview questions. Told me they would be in touch. Got a call from the team lead for references after my interview. I provided them for the team lead and they mentioned they would be in touch. A week later I was called and told I had the job if I wanted it and they proceeded to courier out their offer to me.

During the interview, everyone was very professional, friendly, organized and knew what they wanted in their jobs. It seemed that everyone was excited about what was going on at SMART and the growth that they were experiencing and happy to work there.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2011.

I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs.

After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations.

About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead.

This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support.

After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc.
    Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations.

An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Questions
    • Technical quiz was probably the hardest part.
      Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.
        View Answer
    Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average.

Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.

Training Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Phone screening
    Phone Interview / Presentation
    In Person interview / presentation

Interview Questions
    • If your material doesn't make it to the customer site, what do you do?   Answer Question
    Straight forward - they offered what I asked for.

Technical Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in August 2010.

I've applied online for this position. The HR person contacted me about one week after, and arranged the first interview in the coming Tuesday. During the first interview, they just asked some standard questions which can be asked in any other interviews. Nothing special. About one week after the first interview, the HR person informed me about the second interview which was arranged about 2 weeks later. In the second interview, they gave me a case study about IP (the position which deals with Patent was in their Legal department) After the second interview, I haven't heard anything from them so far, except the HR person sent me an email asked me to wait with patience last week.

Interview Questions
    • some standard questions related to your previous work experience.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2013.

First interview over phone with HR person, then was asked to come into Office and was interviewed by 2 guys and then second round by manager.
    Heard nothing back from them and realized that they have dropped the ball somewhere, their HR person was no longer with them, not sure but think this might be a sinking ship, with all the layoffs etc

Interview Questions
    • None, asked about Momento pattern, design a book library system, serializations and some C++ questions vtable and virtual pointer etc, The only downside was I was sick as a dog at the interview but think I still survived.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Questions
    • none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Worked for SMART Technologies? Contribute to the Community!