SMART Technologies Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
24 interviews

2.7

Education Solution Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one face to face interview. The process was very straight forward with clear detail provided prior to the interview. Most of the questions centered around my understanding of educational technology and its role in a k-12 classroom. There were also a number of questions regarding how I would handle various meetings with top level school officials.

Interview Questions
    • Provided random scenario in working with a school division and asked how to handle.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation as the offer i received was good.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies in December 2009.

The interviewers friendly, curteous, open and positive. This was probably the easiest interview I have ever had. The number one suggestion is to be relaxed and honest.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in November 2009.

Their hiring process sucks.
    Expect to stare at your own web camera like an idiot: they accept only online recorded interviews.
    Questions were rather moronic.
    I felt like I was applying to a news anchor position, not R&D.
     I complained to their HR about it and received a polite "if you don't like it, take a hike" response.
    Well, their loss, I got hired by someone else, who actually took time to TALK to me.

I refused to continue with the hiring process because of the web cam interview setup.

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online - interviewed at SMART Technologies in November 2012.

Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners.

After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options.

Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Questions
    • questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Software Developer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in February 2013.

Applied through campus recruiter. Got an interview a week and a half after applying. Interviewer was great, very personable guy. There was one technical question, a couple of general questions about things he saw on my resume. Very good expierience overall. I followed up with a thank you and another question, and after a few back and forths he told me that they had chosen someone with some more expierience, however he said I did well in the interview and they would have been happy to hire me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2013.

Applied online for a university co-op work term through the internet. Received a response about 1 week later.

Interview was very easy. Most questions were testing general aptitude for programming, testing, and problem solving with some questions. Will ask only questions about subject that he thinks you should understand. For example, the job description wants Python, but if Python is not on your cover letter or resume, it will not be mentioned. If something like C++ is on your cover letter, prepare to talk about it.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make sure that your search engine is a good one?   View Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2011.

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position.

My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me.

Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant.

We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point.

Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't."

At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions
    • This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2011.

Phone interview with HR followed by technical interview at head office. They spent most of their time telling me about the project they were hiring for, and explaining how important it was. Technical interview involved signing a document not to discuss "proprietary technologie s" and included asking questions about OO basics, and differences between functional programming.

Interview Questions
    • Design, from back to front, on paper, a URL shortening service.   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Worked for SMART Technologies? Contribute to the Community!