SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.8

Education Solution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one face to face interview. The process was very straight forward with clear detail provided prior to the interview. Most of the questions centered around my understanding of educational technology and its role in a k-12 classroom. There were also a number of questions regarding how I would handle various meetings with top level school officials.

Interview Questions

• Provided random scenario in working with a school division and asked how to handle.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as the offer i received was good.

SCM Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

There was 2 stages of interview. First stage was with the hiring manager and HR. Nothing extraordinary about the first interview. Questions were related to your past experience. Second stage interview involving 6 people, 2 people per group for a 30 minute each. It was called, "Fit Interview". The first group was staff level, second group was manager whom the position will work along with, the third group is the hiring manager and the director. Both first and second group were asking identical behavioral questions and it was all standard behavioral questions. The last group, however, was very interesting. Hiring manager was completely silent throughout the interview and the director does all the talking. I can see that the director knows about my experience either from my resume and/or the information from the hiring manager whom I met during the first interview. What's so interesting about this interview is the following: I was performance analyst in the past supporting sales department. The director was asking about the purpose of the reporting/performance measurement that I generated for sales. I answered, one of the purpose is to measure how the sales people perform. The director replied and asked if any sales people was not performing. I told the director that at my most recent work, everyone perform according to the company's standard. Upon hearing my answer, the director said: "well, if that's the case, what's the point for having a reporting/measurement?" To me this is surprising because the idea of having a reporting/performance measurement does not mean that we are going to prevent it to happen in the first place. Can we say about police reporting regarding crimes: "what's the point of having crimes reporting if crimes still happening everywhere?" Although I was tempted, I didn't use this metaphor but instead, politely explaining to the director about other purposes of having a sales reporting. At one point the director was also asking if I was having experience with Oracle which I did. In return, the director asked :"why do you need to use Oracle?" The director seems like believing that there is no reason why I should be using Oracle in my line of work. At another point, the director was asking what I would measured if I hired, I answered that I would measure supplier on-time delivery performance. The director replied and asking how am I going to do that. I answered that I would compare the expected delivery date against the actual date but the director kept asking the same question of how am I going to do the delivery measurement. My impression: instead of giving me "questions", the director was "questioning" my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smart Technologies and not oil & gas company (calgary is full with oil and gas companies)?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was fairly simple no programming questions they just asked for new ideas on their current products. This involved telling them to add gyroscopes to their drawing pencils and more features.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in December 2009.

Interview

The interviewers friendly, curteous, open and positive. This was probably the easiest interview I have ever had. The number one suggestion is to be relaxed and honest.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners. After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options. Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Questions

• questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Software Developer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiter. Got an interview a week and a half after applying. Interviewer was great, very personable guy. There was one technical question, a couple of general questions about things he saw on my resume. Very good expierience overall. I followed up with a thank you and another question, and after a few back and forths he told me that they had chosen someone with some more expierience, however he said I did well in the interview and they would have been happy to hire me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online for a university co-op work term through the internet. Received a response about 1 week later. Interview was very easy. Most questions were testing general aptitude for programming, testing, and problem solving with some questions. Will ask only questions about subject that he thinks you should understand. For example, the job description wants Python, but if Python is not on your cover letter or resume, it will not be mentioned. If something like C++ is on your cover letter, prepare to talk about it.

Interview Questions

• How would you make sure that your search engine is a good one?   1 Answer

Internal Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process consisted of: - phone interview with recruiter - in-person interview with direct manager + recruiter - Fit interview with 3 members of prospective team - in-person interview with VP - offer

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience in internal communication.   Answer Question

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in September 2011.

Interview

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position. My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me. Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant. We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point. Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't." At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions

• This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question