SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.9

Functional Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2014.

Interview

first a phone interview was conducted. Asked behavioural questions & past experiences with some technical questions. Took about 1 hour. They told next step was to have a face to face interview with their whole team. They contacted me after days & said I was selected. The other interview with the team to see if I fit with them well. There were some questions asked. It was overall a good process

Interview Questions

• Past work experience & situations faced   1 Answer

Negotiation

They met my expectation actually exceed it a little. I gave them my expectation & they gave an offer.

ESM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies in July 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with corp recruiter, then District manager, then phone interview with National Sales manager and then the offer. Took place over the course of about two months and was a pretty easy process back then. I was very excited about the prospect of working for SMART at the time as it was just a case of leaving my old employee to find something new and exciting. I also knew that SMART was in trouble financially bit I was willing to take the risk for my career as it was and always will be a good mark on my resume!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none, take it or leave it

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in September 2011.

Interview

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position.

My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me.

Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant.

We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point.

Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't."

At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions

• This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Interview

Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Questions

• Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position through my university's job board. I was granted one interview after electronically submitting my resume and qualifications. The interviewers were very relaxed and easy to converse with. They asked a lot of technical questions about features of my language of choice (C++ at this time), but only a couple of coding questions. My impression of the facilities is that they were rather upscale and very pleasant. The office environment seems excellent.

Interview Questions

• How virtual methods are implemented in C++   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in August 2010.

Interview

Apply to jobs posted on the SMART web site.
    HR calls your for a video interview that you pre-record and submit for asynchronous review. This is like a pre-screen interview.
    HR calls you for an interview with the hiring manager.
    HR calls you for a group interview with the team members - fit interview.
    If all goes well, within the 2 months of initial HR contact, you'll be offered a job. No negotiations were permitted on the job offer.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Questions

• none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online for a university co-op work term through the internet. Received a response about 1 week later.

Interview was very easy. Most questions were testing general aptitude for programming, testing, and problem solving with some questions. Will ask only questions about subject that he thinks you should understand. For example, the job description wants Python, but if Python is not on your cover letter or resume, it will not be mentioned. If something like C++ is on your cover letter, prepare to talk about it.

Interview Questions

• How would you make sure that your search engine is a good one?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

Initial interview with direct supervisor was excellent. Great report, very professional and informative. Second interview over Skype was challenging. With two others. wasn't clear their relationship to person being hired. referred to job description being emailed to me ahead of time, but I never received it. made it difficult to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Interview Questions

• asked to create a presentation on a topic, wasn't clear what the topic had to do with the position.   Answer Question