SMART Technologies

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews

Tech Lead Interview

Tech Lead

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Interview Details – Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Question – Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Software Development Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview Details – The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Just common questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

Software Developer Intern
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this position through my university's job board. I was granted one interview after electronically submitting my resume and qualifications. The interviewers were very relaxed and easy to converse with. They asked a lot of technical questions about features of my language of choice (C++ at this time), but only a couple of coding questions. My impression of the facilities is that they were rather upscale and very pleasant. The office environment seems excellent.

Interview Question – How virtual methods are implemented in C++   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies in August 2010.

Interview Details – Apply to jobs posted on the SMART web site.
HR calls your for a video interview that you pre-record and submit for asynchronous review. This is like a pre-screen interview.
HR calls you for an interview with the hiring manager.
HR calls you for a group interview with the team members - fit interview.
If all goes well, within the 2 months of initial HR contact, you'll be offered a job. No negotiations were permitted on the job offer.

Interview Question – Write some code.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Question – none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for a university co-op work term through the internet. Received a response about 1 week later.

Interview was very easy. Most questions were testing general aptitude for programming, testing, and problem solving with some questions. Will ask only questions about subject that he thinks you should understand. For example, the job description wants Python, but if Python is not on your cover letter or resume, it will not be mentioned. If something like C++ is on your cover letter, prepare to talk about it.

Interview Question – How would you make sure that your search engine is a good one?   View Answer

Educational Sales Support Interview

Educational Sales Support

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview Details – Initial interview with direct supervisor was excellent. Great report, very professional and informative. Second interview over Skype was challenging. With two others. wasn't clear their relationship to person being hired. referred to job description being emailed to me ahead of time, but I never received it. made it difficult to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Interview Question – asked to create a presentation on a topic, wasn't clear what the topic had to do with the position.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2013.

Interview Details – First interview over phone with HR person, then was asked to come into Office and was interviewed by 2 guys and then second round by manager.
Heard nothing back from them and realized that they have dropped the ball somewhere, their HR person was no longer with them, not sure but think this might be a sinking ship, with all the layoffs etc

Interview Question – None, asked about Momento pattern, design a book library system, serializations and some C++ questions vtable and virtual pointer etc, The only downside was I was sick as a dog at the interview but think I still survived.   Answer Question

Software Developer Internship Interview

Software Developer Internship
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiter. Got an interview a week and a half after applying. Interviewer was great, very personable guy. There was one technical question, a couple of general questions about things he saw on my resume. Very good expierience overall. I followed up with a thank you and another question, and after a few back and forths he told me that they had chosen someone with some more expierience, however he said I did well in the interview and they would have been happy to hire me.

Interview Question – How would you design a search engine?   Answer Question

Training Specialist Interview

Training Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview Details – Phone screening
Phone Interview / Presentation
In Person interview / presentation

Interview Question – If your material doesn't make it to the customer site, what do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward - they offered what I asked for.

Interviews for Top Jobs at SMART Technologies

Worked for SMART Technologies? Contribute to the Community!