SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.8

Regional Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online; got a call about 10 days after asking for a phone interview the next day. After that, I came into the office for an in-person interview with the hiring manager and HR. A week after that, HR called me to schedule a fit interview with members of the team. The final step included completing a writing test and then they checked my references - culminating in an offer.

SCM Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

There was 2 stages of interview. First stage was with the hiring manager and HR. Nothing extraordinary about the first interview. Questions were related to your past experience. Second stage interview involving 6 people, 2 people per group for a 30 minute each. It was called, "Fit Interview". The first group was staff level, second group was manager whom the position will work along with, the third group is the hiring manager and the director.

Both first and second group were asking identical behavioral questions and it was all standard behavioral questions. The last group, however, was very interesting. Hiring manager was completely silent throughout the interview and the director does all the talking. I can see that the director knows about my experience either from my resume and/or the information from the hiring manager whom I met during the first interview. What's so interesting about this interview is the following:

I was performance analyst in the past supporting sales department. The director was asking about the purpose of the reporting/performance measurement that I generated for sales. I answered, one of the purpose is to measure how the sales people perform. The director replied and asked if any sales people was not performing. I told the director that at my most recent work, everyone perform according to the company's standard. Upon hearing my answer, the director said: "well, if that's the case, what's the point for having a reporting/measurement?" To me this is surprising because the idea of having a reporting/performance measurement does not mean that we are going to prevent it to happen in the first place. Can we say about police reporting regarding crimes: "what's the point of having crimes reporting if crimes still happening everywhere?" Although I was tempted, I didn't use this metaphor but instead, politely explaining to the director about other purposes of having a sales reporting.

At one point the director was also asking if I was having experience with Oracle which I did. In return, the director asked :"why do you need to use Oracle?" The director seems like believing that there is no reason why I should be using Oracle in my line of work.

At another point, the director was asking what I would measured if I hired, I answered that I would measure supplier on-time delivery performance. The director replied and asking how am I going to do that. I answered that I would compare the expected delivery date against the actual date but the director kept asking the same question of how am I going to do the delivery measurement.

My impression: instead of giving me "questions", the director was "questioning" my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smart Technologies and not oil & gas company (calgary is full with oil and gas companies)?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was fairly simple no programming questions they just asked for new ideas on their current products. This involved telling them to add gyroscopes to their drawing pencils and more features.

Internal Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process consisted of:
    - phone interview with recruiter
    - in-person interview with direct manager + recruiter
    - Fit interview with 3 members of prospective team
    - in-person interview with VP
    - offer

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience in internal communication.   Answer Question

Functional Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2014.

Interview

first a phone interview was conducted. Asked behavioural questions & past experiences with some technical questions. Took about 1 hour. They told next step was to have a face to face interview with their whole team. They contacted me after days & said I was selected. The other interview with the team to see if I fit with them well. There were some questions asked. It was overall a good process

Interview Questions

• Past work experience & situations faced   1 Answer

Negotiation

They met my expectation actually exceed it a little. I gave them my expectation & they gave an offer.

ESM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies in July 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with corp recruiter, then District manager, then phone interview with National Sales manager and then the offer. Took place over the course of about two months and was a pretty easy process back then. I was very excited about the prospect of working for SMART at the time as it was just a case of leaving my old employee to find something new and exciting. I also knew that SMART was in trouble financially bit I was willing to take the risk for my career as it was and always will be a good mark on my resume!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none, take it or leave it

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in September 2011.

Interview

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position.

My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me.

Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant.

We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point.

Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't."

At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions

• This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2014.

Interview

Terse, slow, and red flags were raised. A little dry and less revealing than others. Convoluted and often indecisive . But a great place to get a practice exam but not deeply technical. Flying to HQ is a good idea. More team members participating would allow for more insight into the culture.

Interview Questions

• Lots of probing questions about personal life seemingly to to avoid work/life balance.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position through my university's job board. I was granted one interview after electronically submitting my resume and qualifications. The interviewers were very relaxed and easy to converse with. They asked a lot of technical questions about features of my language of choice (C++ at this time), but only a couple of coding questions. My impression of the facilities is that they were rather upscale and very pleasant. The office environment seems excellent.

Interview Questions

• How virtual methods are implemented in C++   1 Answer