SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.8

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Questions

• none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online for a university co-op work term through the internet. Received a response about 1 week later. Interview was very easy. Most questions were testing general aptitude for programming, testing, and problem solving with some questions. Will ask only questions about subject that he thinks you should understand. For example, the job description wants Python, but if Python is not on your cover letter or resume, it will not be mentioned. If something like C++ is on your cover letter, prepare to talk about it.

Interview Questions

• How would you make sure that your search engine is a good one?   1 Answer

Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

Phone screening Phone Interview / Presentation In Person interview / presentation

Interview Questions

• If your material doesn't make it to the customer site, what do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straight forward - they offered what I asked for.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2013.

Interview

First interview over phone with HR person, then was asked to come into Office and was interviewed by 2 guys and then second round by manager. Heard nothing back from them and realized that they have dropped the ball somewhere, their HR person was no longer with them, not sure but think this might be a sinking ship, with all the layoffs etc

Interview Questions

• None, asked about Momento pattern, design a book library system, serializations and some C++ questions vtable and virtual pointer etc, The only downside was I was sick as a dog at the interview but think I still survived.   Answer Question

Software Developer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiter. Got an interview a week and a half after applying. Interviewer was great, very personable guy. There was one technical question, a couple of general questions about things he saw on my resume. Very good expierience overall. I followed up with a thank you and another question, and after a few back and forths he told me that they had chosen someone with some more expierience, however he said I did well in the interview and they would have been happy to hire me.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one face to face interview. The process was very straight forward with clear detail provided prior to the interview. Most of the questions centered around my understanding of educational technology and its role in a k-12 classroom. There were also a number of questions regarding how I would handle various meetings with top level school officials.

Interview Questions

• Provided random scenario in working with a school division and asked how to handle.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as the offer i received was good.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners. After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options. Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Questions

• questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. Brought in for a meeting with the IT manager and team lead.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (New Delhi (India)) in May 2012.

Interview

I can only say that if you have decided something in your life then don't look behind. accept little things don't ask to apply good habits and manners in you. always support true personality. I have more to say but I'll say now only this always trust god.

Interview Questions

• What is the mean of your name in Sanskrit?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about Smart Products.   1 Answer

Negotiation

i have never negotiation with my elders.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs. After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations. About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead. This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support. After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc. Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations. An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Questions

• Technical quiz was probably the hardest part. Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average. Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.