SMART Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at SMART Technologies in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners.

After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options.

Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Question – questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Education Solution Specialist Interview

Education Solution Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one face to face interview. The process was very straight forward with clear detail provided prior to the interview. Most of the questions centered around my understanding of educational technology and its role in a k-12 classroom. There were also a number of questions regarding how I would handle various meetings with top level school officials.

Interview Question – Provided random scenario in working with a school division and asked how to handle.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as the offer i received was good.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR followed by technical interview at head office. They spent most of their time telling me about the project they were hiring for, and explaining how important it was. Technical interview involved signing a document not to discuss "proprietary technologie s" and included asking questions about OO basics, and differences between functional programming.

Interview Question – Design, from back to front, on paper, a URL shortening service.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Technical
New Delhi (India)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SMART Technologies in May 2012.

Interview Details – I can only say that if you have decided something in your life then don't look behind. accept little things don't ask to apply good habits and manners in you. always support true personality.
I have more to say but I'll say now only this always trust god.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – i have never negotiation with my elders.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SMART Technologies in May 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR.

Brought in for a meeting with the IT manager and team lead.

Interview Question – What is your ideal manager?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed for an Area Manager role. Good phone interviews, but the F2F was terrible. The Sales Manager was not professional. His method of interviewing was role plays ( sell me a pencil etc.) and throwing out terms and asking for a definition. By far the worst sales interview I've ever had. I left the interview thinking that this company must be horribly run if this guy was a Sales Manager. Turns out I was correct. Their IPO opened at $17/share and now trades at $1.50/share. This company has consistently missed it's quarterly sales targets, no surprise here!

Interview Question – What is Pedagogy?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and shortly thereafter was contacted to complete a 5 question online interview via webcam. Each question could be re-recorded as much as needed. Next step was in person interviews with hiring managers. Great people to interview with and sounds like a great company to work for, unfortunately wasn't a great fit.

Interview Question – Describe the most challenging situation you've faced in your professional career and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Technical Support Specialist
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs.

After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations.

About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead.

This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support.

After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc.
Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations.

An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Question – Technical quiz was probably the hardest part.
Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average.

Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.

Customer Services Representative Interview

Customer Services Representative
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in April 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online for the position I was considering. Did not hear anything for a while. Then received an email from the hiring manager that I was in consideration for the position. She asked me to answer a few questions about salary expectations, customer service experience, and a few others. I replied to her questions. Five minutes after emailing the answers to her I received a phone call to come in for an interview. We set up a time and came in for a formal interview. I had an interview with the manager of the department and the team lead. They did a one on one with me about my background, how I would respond to situations, basic interview questions. Told me they would be in touch. Got a call from the team lead for references after my interview. I provided them for the team lead and they mentioned they would be in touch. A week later I was called and told I had the job if I wanted it and they proceeded to courier out their offer to me.

During the interview, everyone was very professional, friendly, organized and knew what they wanted in their jobs. It seemed that everyone was excited about what was going on at SMART and the growth that they were experiencing and happy to work there.

Interview Question – What was my salary expectations?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Calgary, AB (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at SMART Technologies in December 2009.

Interview Details – stressful, question-answer, nothing else.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at SMART Technologies