SMART Technologies

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.8

Education Solution Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies.

The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one face to face interview. The process was very straight forward with clear detail provided prior to the interview. Most of the questions centered around my understanding of educational technology and its role in a k-12 classroom. There were also a number of questions regarding how I would handle various meetings with top level school officials.

Interview Questions
    • Provided random scenario in working with a school division and asked how to handle.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation as the offer i received was good.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at SMART Technologies in November 2012.

Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners.

After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options.

Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Questions
    • questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies in May 2012.

Initial phone interview with HR.

Brought in for a meeting with the IT manager and team lead.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMART Technologies in May 2012.

I can only say that if you have decided something in your life then don't look behind. accept little things don't ask to apply good habits and manners in you. always support true personality.
    I have more to say but I'll say now only this always trust god.

Interview Questions
    i have never negotiation with my elders.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2011.

I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs.

After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations.

About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead.

This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support.

After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc.
    Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations.

An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Questions
    • Technical quiz was probably the hardest part.
      Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.

View Answer
    Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average.

Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2011.

Phone interview with HR followed by technical interview at head office. They spent most of their time telling me about the project they were hiring for, and explaining how important it was. Technical interview involved signing a document not to discuss "proprietary technologie s" and included asking questions about OO basics, and differences between functional programming.

Interview Questions
    • Design, from back to front, on paper, a URL shortening service.   Answer Question

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2011.

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position.

My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me.

Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant.

We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point.

Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't."

At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions
    • This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2011.

Applied online and shortly thereafter was contacted to complete a 5 question online interview via webcam. Each question could be re-recorded as much as needed. Next step was in person interviews with hiring managers. Great people to interview with and sounds like a great company to work for, unfortunately wasn't a great fit.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most challenging situation you've faced in your professional career and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Technical Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SMART Technologies in August 2010.

I've applied online for this position. The HR person contacted me about one week after, and arranged the first interview in the coming Tuesday. During the first interview, they just asked some standard questions which can be asked in any other interviews. Nothing special. About one week after the first interview, the HR person informed me about the second interview which was arranged about 2 weeks later. In the second interview, they gave me a case study about IP (the position which deals with Patent was in their Legal department) After the second interview, I haven't heard anything from them so far, except the HR person sent me an email asked me to wait with patience last week.

Interview Questions
    • some standard questions related to your previous work experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMART Technologies in August 2010.

Apply to jobs posted on the SMART web site.
    HR calls your for a video interview that you pre-record and submit for asynchronous review. This is like a pre-screen interview.
    HR calls you for an interview with the hiring manager.
    HR calls you for a group interview with the team members - fit interview.
    If all goes well, within the 2 months of initial HR contact, you'll be offered a job. No negotiations were permitted on the job offer.