SMGI

2.1

Event Marketer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, DE

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SMGI in November 2014.

I applied to SMGI through Monster.com, I received a call within the next day and scheduled an interview with the hiring manager. They explained the position to me and the clients I would be working with. It sounded really great I received a phone call later in the evening telling me to come back for a second interview where I was given more details about the marketing I would be doing for the clients.

Marketing and Brand Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SMGI.

I used my university's job board to apply for the position. I received an email within two days asking to set up a face to face interview. When I arrived at the office I was impressed, however they clearly had plenty of candidates coming in for interviews. I had a short 15 minute discussion about the job and my willingness to relocate and travel. We went over my experience a little bit, but it was mostly to go over the position. The job was essentially to sell Verizon FiOS to new condominiums. This wasn't quite the position I was expecting. They called me later that day to set up another, longer interview. i wasn't interested in the position so I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What would your best friend say about you if he/she were here right now?   Answer Question

Retail Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMGI in October 2014.

I applied for the company on Craigslist and was contacted two days later by a girl in HR. She told me about the entry level positions they had and what the compensation was. It sounded fun so I scheduled an interview for the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you used your leadership qualities to take control of a situation at work.   Answer Question

Entry Level to Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SMGI.

I got a call back after submitting my resume for an in-person interview. I was initially told I would be meeting with a certain manager but I wound up in front of another once I got there. It was clear they were rotating applicants all day. Not that this was a bad thing, particularly, but I had bothered to research who I thought I would be meeting with and had nothing on the individual I wound up seeing. I was told that after the completion of all the interviews, the managers would get together at the end of the day to decide on who they would ask back for a sort of "shadow day" second interview with one of the managers.

Ultimately I declined to proceed even though I received a call back. The firm shows promise and has a couple big clients, but it was not specifically the field I was passionate about and I did not feel working there would be the best fit or facilitate the growth of my own career in the direction and level I had in mind for myself. The managers I saw were all fairly young and felt that, despite the firm's promise, that my professional presence would feel more collaborative than somewhere with more senior staff whose experience could benefit the entry level employees better.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about what qualities I thought were most important in evaluating the viability of a start up's longevity.   Answer Question

I felt my own potential and particular professional goals would be better realized if I continued to search for opportunity elsewhere.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SMGI in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the office, asking for an interview - right away. I was able to make it, and their interview hours were very easy to navigate. The interview is in three steps: in the office, shadowing a person with the same job, and then an interview with the director.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect them to ask so much about traveling and the hours of availability threw me off for a bit.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at SMGI.

Initially applied through an online job posting and received a brief phone call within about a week. To be honest, the first "sign" should have been the fact that recruiter on the phone was able to tell me very little about the position or the company. I went in for an in-person interview and was very confused since the location was in a Verizon Building. The interview was very short and simple, but I was refused further details on the position until the second interview. I didn't bother going forward with the process. I'm sure there are many individuals who are genuinely interested in a strictly sales/commission career.. I just wished this company would be a little more transparent and forthcoming about their intentions.

Sale Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMGI.

Never applied
    Someone called me for on site interview for several times
    On site interview
    Asked about the resume, experience, interests, start date (just really regular questions, such as why do you want to work for us--cuz you called so I figured why not)
    Email the result

Brand Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

I applied through LinkedIn and received a follow up call from a recruiter a few days later. A preliminary face to face interview was then scheduled with one of the upper level Managers. When I showed up I noticed a clean office and an upbeat atmosphere. First appearances me a lot to me! The manager I met with was in his mid to late 20's which I liked because he seemed pretty down to earth. Not stuck up like I thought. Not any overly challenging questions..it seemed like they were trying to see if I was more of a personality match and if my goals lined up with what they were looking for. They have a two round interview process which seems normal to me with the job market being so hard they want to narrow it down to the right people for the position. The second interview was with someone who was currently working on one of their projects. Outside the office location work and customer interaction, which I personally liked! I didn't want to be doing marketing research! A combination of face to face marketing, consumer relations, and sales. I wanted to see a well versed position.

Interview Questions
    • What role did I want to see myself playing long term in a company?   View Answer

Account Manager - Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SMGI in June 2014.

I found the job opportunity on Monster.com so I applied and was contacted within an hour after applying. I set up the first interview the next day. The first interview was very quick, I was in and out within 30 minutes of getting there. The people were all great, however no-one was over 25 years of age. The second interview was basically job shadowing. I met a kid that was a junior in college and he was interning with the company. We went door to door "selling" energy. The reason selling was in quotations was because they told me multiple times that they were not doing sales they were doing customer service. I could not help but think that servicing customers you did not have was in fact sales! After going through the entire work day (around 1:30 - 7:30) they brought me back to the office to do the final interview but I declined the job before we went forward.

The moment I found out this position was not for me was when we knocked on a woman's door and she began yelling that she had already signed up for the energy they were selling and that it did not save her the money that they said it would.

Interview Questions
    • I thought it was interesting that they asked on the paper they gave me to state where I would most like to travel. It was very unexpected but it made me optimistic about the job overall.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at SMGI.

There are two rounds to the interview process here. The first round is a vague meeting with an assistant manager, where you'll probably get a phone call from a recruiter inviting you to come in for a "marketing position." You should ask the recruiter over the phone what the position entails, and they probably won't be able to tell you, which should be a red flag. But the first interview is relatively harmless. It's basically you just being screened by a member of management to make sure you're not completely inappropriate for the job. As long as you answer the questions with more than one word you'll be fine.

The second interview, should you be invited back, is with one of the account managers, and these guys are still in training, although they have all been promoted to their current positions. But they'll be presented to you as "a top account executive" to make you think they're better at their job than they actually are. The second interview is where you learn what these people actually do from day-to-day, which is go door-to-door doing sales. You'll accompany the representative out into the field and shadow them as they do their job, so you will get to see first hand what your job will be should you fall for it and get hired. They'll give you a breakdown of how the company system works at lunchtime, but be sure to ask questions about pay (it's commission) and how long it actually takes to get promoted to management (a long time). They have a planned script to follow to make sure everything they say comes off easy, glances over the difficulties of the position and basically makes you drink the proverbial Kool-Aid right then and there. They're going to promise a lot of things that won't come true for you (big salaries and your very own office when you get promoted to management, which hardly ever happens) unless you have an aggressive, and almost abrasive, work ethic, and even then it's not a guarantee.

After you leave the field with the account manager, you'll be taken back to the office where you'll sit with an assistant manager, probably the one who did your first interview, and that's where they'll decide to hire you or not. I got hired on the spot, but this isn't true for everyone. It might be later that night or the next day, or they might not hire you at all, but rarely do they turn people away.

Interview Questions
    • Where would you like to be in your career in five years' time? Ten years' time?   Answer Question