SMGI

Updated Feb 16, 2015
Updated Feb 16, 2015

2.1

Account Executive (A K A Basic Salesperson) Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at SMGI.

"Account Executive" is HILARIOUSLY INACCURATE. A more accurate job description would be "standing under a tent at Wal-Mart trying to sell Verizon Fios to people who just bought a can of corn" (which is pretty much the exact words of the interviewer) which is fine and perfect for someone in high school, not a college graduate with actual real world experience.

I was contacted by HR about this position and over the phone it was described as "meeting and consulting with clients to brainstorm ideas about how to sell their product or service," under that description I assumed it was an office consultant job. I thought "okay I'll go in for the interview just to check it out" and I knew within less than 2 minutes that something was off. I was highly overqualified and their job title was highly over-inflated. I graduated with a degree in finance and worked in the public and private sector for 4 years awarding and managing contracts up to $10,000,000 so I thought "Account Executive" was an appropriate job title, but in reality this is literally just a salesperson job as stated before; instead of going door-to-door like some of the previous reviews you stand under a tent in public places trying to sell a service.

SMGi seriously needs to revise their job title or they won't be finding the type of people they need. I left within 10 minutes because I think the interviewer and I both knew this wasn't the type of job or fit I was looking for or what they were looking for.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SMGI.

On the first interview they ask you general questions. The only reason they have a first interview is to try and make it look professional. Almost everyone passes the first one. After that they invite you to the second interview where they take you out to show you your daily function

It was a door-to-door sales position wrapped up as a marketing position

Event Planner Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SMGI in January 2015.

I was called by a recruiter from their office, she was very sweet and had me cracking up on the phone. I knew that I definitely wanted to schedule an interview because she was so fun and the job sounded great. I went in the next day for my first round interview and talked to the manager. She was really cool and was really interested in what I had to say and about my past experience. They called me later on in the day to come in for a second round interview the week after. Then they offered me the job!

Event Marketer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, DE

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SMGI in November 2014.

I applied to SMGI through Monster.com, I received a call within the next day and scheduled an interview with the hiring manager. They explained the position to me and the clients I would be working with. It sounded really great I received a phone call later in the evening telling me to come back for a second interview where I was given more details about the marketing I would be doing for the clients.

Marketing and Brand Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SMGI.

I used my university's job board to apply for the position. I received an email within two days asking to set up a face to face interview. When I arrived at the office I was impressed, however they clearly had plenty of candidates coming in for interviews. I had a short 15 minute discussion about the job and my willingness to relocate and travel. We went over my experience a little bit, but it was mostly to go over the position. The job was essentially to sell Verizon FiOS to new condominiums. This wasn't quite the position I was expecting. They called me later that day to set up another, longer interview. i wasn't interested in the position so I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What would your best friend say about you if he/she were here right now?   Answer Question

Retail Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMGI in October 2014.

I applied for the company on Craigslist and was contacted two days later by a girl in HR. She told me about the entry level positions they had and what the compensation was. It sounded fun so I scheduled an interview for the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you used your leadership qualities to take control of a situation at work.   Answer Question

Entry Level to Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SMGI.

I got a call back after submitting my resume for an in-person interview. I was initially told I would be meeting with a certain manager but I wound up in front of another once I got there. It was clear they were rotating applicants all day. Not that this was a bad thing, particularly, but I had bothered to research who I thought I would be meeting with and had nothing on the individual I wound up seeing. I was told that after the completion of all the interviews, the managers would get together at the end of the day to decide on who they would ask back for a sort of "shadow day" second interview with one of the managers.

Ultimately I declined to proceed even though I received a call back. The firm shows promise and has a couple big clients, but it was not specifically the field I was passionate about and I did not feel working there would be the best fit or facilitate the growth of my own career in the direction and level I had in mind for myself. The managers I saw were all fairly young and felt that, despite the firm's promise, that my professional presence would feel more collaborative than somewhere with more senior staff whose experience could benefit the entry level employees better.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about what qualities I thought were most important in evaluating the viability of a start up's longevity.   Answer Question

I felt my own potential and particular professional goals would be better realized if I continued to search for opportunity elsewhere.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SMGI in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the office, asking for an interview - right away. I was able to make it, and their interview hours were very easy to navigate. The interview is in three steps: in the office, shadowing a person with the same job, and then an interview with the director.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect them to ask so much about traveling and the hours of availability threw me off for a bit.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at SMGI.

Initially applied through an online job posting and received a brief phone call within about a week. To be honest, the first "sign" should have been the fact that recruiter on the phone was able to tell me very little about the position or the company. I went in for an in-person interview and was very confused since the location was in a Verizon Building. The interview was very short and simple, but I was refused further details on the position until the second interview. I didn't bother going forward with the process. I'm sure there are many individuals who are genuinely interested in a strictly sales/commission career.. I just wished this company would be a little more transparent and forthcoming about their intentions.

Sale Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SMGI.

Never applied
    Someone called me for on site interview for several times
    On site interview
    Asked about the resume, experience, interests, start date (just really regular questions, such as why do you want to work for us--cuz you called so I figured why not)
    Email the result