SMGI

Relevance Date Difficulty

Event Promotion Interview

Event Promotion
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at SMGI in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted because I posted my resume on to Monster and got a call to come in for an interview. The position I was interviewing for was event planning or event marketing. I set up my interview for two days later to come in and meet with the hiring manager. The office was really cool and everyone was really nice. I met with the manager and she told me about the event marketing position and what I would be doing. It sounded interesting being able to plan events for their clients and do sales promotions.

Interview Question – Discuss your past client experiences and how you were able to build strong working relationships with them.   Answer Question

Account Manager - Entry Level Interview

Account Manager - Entry Level
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SMGI in June 2014.

Interview Details – I found the job opportunity on Monster.com so I applied and was contacted within an hour after applying. I set up the first interview the next day. The first interview was very quick, I was in and out within 30 minutes of getting there. The people were all great, however no-one was over 25 years of age. The second interview was basically job shadowing. I met a kid that was a junior in college and he was interning with the company. We went door to door "selling" energy. The reason selling was in quotations was because they told me multiple times that they were not doing sales they were doing customer service. I could not help but think that servicing customers you did not have was in fact sales! After going through the entire work day (around 1:30 - 7:30) they brought me back to the office to do the final interview but I declined the job before we went forward.

The moment I found out this position was not for me was when we knocked on a woman's door and she began yelling that she had already signed up for the energy they were selling and that it did not save her the money that they said it would.

Interview Question – I thought it was interesting that they asked on the paper they gave me to state where I would most like to travel. It was very unexpected but it made me optimistic about the job overall.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at SMGI.

Interview Details – Initially applied through an online job posting and received a brief phone call within about a week. To be honest, the first "sign" should have been the fact that recruiter on the phone was able to tell me very little about the position or the company. I went in for an in-person interview and was very confused since the location was in a Verizon Building. The interview was very short and simple, but I was refused further details on the position until the second interview. I didn't bother going forward with the process. I'm sure there are many individuals who are genuinely interested in a strictly sales/commission career.. I just wished this company would be a little more transparent and forthcoming about their intentions.

Interview Question – What are you top three attributes?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Junior Executive Interview

Junior Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SMGI in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and received a call the next day about scheduling an initial interview. I was still in school so I wouldn't be able to interview until I was on spring break. I went to the interview during my spring break. The initial interview lasted about 20 minutes. I spoke with a general manager. We talked about my background and some of my interests. I was given information on the company and it's background. When the interview was over, I was told that I made it through to the second round of interviews and would hear back in about a month or so with the details.

After a few weeks passed and it was getting closer to the second interview period, I received an email from Director of Recruiting and general manager congratulating me on the second interview and that they would be in touch. I received a call a few weeks later to schedule the second interview. During that phone call, I was told to wear comfy shoes or flats and bring a copy of my résumé.

The second interview was a job shadow. I was paired with an employee who had been there for 6 months. We got in his car and drove about 30-40 minutes away to a suburb. We then went door to door selling one of the companies that they do outsource sales for. During the car ride, I was asked questions about my previous experience and some of my interests. We talked about his experience with the company as well. I was told that if he thought I was doing well, we'd go over salary and the corporate ladder. We discussed salary and the positions and moving up through the company at the lunch break. After the break, we went back to the designated area to do more sales. Then on the way back to SMGI, he had to ask me a few more questions. He told me I did really well that that when we got back, I would have third intervene with either a general manager or a director. When we got back, I filled out an assessment and my thoughts on the position. I then spoke with the Director of Marketing and he asked me if I would be able to do the job and the same basic interest questions. He told me that after discussing with a few others and the man who I shadowed with, I would receive a call the next day.

I got a call the next day around 6:00 with a job offer.

me

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The work hours were from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM. I didn't not want to do door to door sales and have 100% commission.

Sale Representative Interview

Sale Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SMGI.

Interview Details – Never applied
Someone called me for on site interview for several times
On site interview
Asked about the resume, experience, interests, start date (just really regular questions, such as why do you want to work for us--cuz you called so I figured why not)
Email the result

Brand Representative Interview

Brand Representative
Conshohocken, PA

Interviewed at SMGI

Interview Details – I applied through LinkedIn and received a follow up call from a recruiter a few days later. A preliminary face to face interview was then scheduled with one of the upper level Managers. When I showed up I noticed a clean office and an upbeat atmosphere. First appearances me a lot to me! The manager I met with was in his mid to late 20's which I liked because he seemed pretty down to earth. Not stuck up like I thought. Not any overly challenging questions..it seemed like they were trying to see if I was more of a personality match and if my goals lined up with what they were looking for. They have a two round interview process which seems normal to me with the job market being so hard they want to narrow it down to the right people for the position. The second interview was with someone who was currently working on one of their projects. Outside the office location work and customer interaction, which I personally liked! I didn't want to be doing marketing research! A combination of face to face marketing, consumer relations, and sales. I wanted to see a well versed position.

Interview Question – What role did I want to see myself playing long term in a company?   View Answer

Account Manager - Energy Services Interview

Account Manager - Energy Services
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I interviewed at SMGI in August 2013.

Interview Details – Sketchy interview process. They never followed up. unorganized the head guy interviewed me but even he was young and wasn't too convincing. just selling verizon door to door was the job. The other people who worked there seemed to be having fun. was not the job for me. good if you want some interview experience however. Might not waste your time going to this interview

Interview Question – Where do you want to go from here?   Answer Question

Brand Ambassador Interview

Brand Ambassador
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SMGI in May 2014.

Interview Details – they don't go in details about the time they require. they want you to go with your own car and sell the products they market outside of the office while they stay inside the office acting like managers. it is not the type of job for a bachelor degree candidate.

Reason for Declining – because they want me to do a B2B sales from 12pm to 8pm

Entry Level Interview

Entry Level
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SMGI.

Interview Details – Two round interview:
1) Come in for pre screen interview to see if you are a normal person. Won't tell you anything about the position, only that they are looking for work hard, play hard type people and that the company is full of young people. Most people get called back.
2)Go out with corporate trainer who will be your trainer if you take the job. Basically, they butter you up and then tell you if you don't do the job, you're a wimp. Once the field is done, you go back to the office, where you fill out a questionnaire that basically measures how well the interviewer brainwashed you. Meet a manager for a few minutes to finish the brainwash. Couple days later, you'll get a hiring call.

Everyone who accepts the brainwash, gets a job.

Interview Question – There are some questions posed, but none are difficult or random.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase. It is a commission, door to door sales job where you pay for everything and claim expenses on end of year taxes.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at SMGI.

Interview Details – There are two rounds to the interview process here. The first round is a vague meeting with an assistant manager, where you'll probably get a phone call from a recruiter inviting you to come in for a "marketing position." You should ask the recruiter over the phone what the position entails, and they probably won't be able to tell you, which should be a red flag. But the first interview is relatively harmless. It's basically you just being screened by a member of management to make sure you're not completely inappropriate for the job. As long as you answer the questions with more than one word you'll be fine.

The second interview, should you be invited back, is with one of the account managers, and these guys are still in training, although they have all been promoted to their current positions. But they'll be presented to you as "a top account executive" to make you think they're better at their job than they actually are. The second interview is where you learn what these people actually do from day-to-day, which is go door-to-door doing sales. You'll accompany the representative out into the field and shadow them as they do their job, so you will get to see first hand what your job will be should you fall for it and get hired. They'll give you a breakdown of how the company system works at lunchtime, but be sure to ask questions about pay (it's commission) and how long it actually takes to get promoted to management (a long time). They have a planned script to follow to make sure everything they say comes off easy, glances over the difficulties of the position and basically makes you drink the proverbial Kool-Aid right then and there. They're going to promise a lot of things that won't come true for you (big salaries and your very own office when you get promoted to management, which hardly ever happens) unless you have an aggressive, and almost abrasive, work ethic, and even then it's not a guarantee.

After you leave the field with the account manager, you'll be taken back to the office where you'll sit with an assistant manager, probably the one who did your first interview, and that's where they'll decide to hire you or not. I got hired on the spot, but this isn't true for everyone. It might be later that night or the next day, or they might not hire you at all, but rarely do they turn people away.

Interview Question – Where would you like to be in your career in five years' time? Ten years' time?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at SMGI

Worked for SMGI? Contribute to the Community!