SMOE Interview Questions in South Korea

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Native English Teacher Interview

First, you have to apply either directly to the office of education or with a recruiter that works directly with SMOE. From there, you have to submit several documents including a resume, federal criminal background check, and visa eligibility documents. Afterwards, you get a phone interview with SMOE and then are accepted pretty much right away.

Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seoul (South Korea)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SMOE in May 2009.

When I first applied, I had to apply through an agency that's working together with SMOE to hire for their fall intake. SMOE has two hiring seasons: April for the August intake, and October for the February intake. When I applied through the agency (based in South Korea), they sent me a list of documents that I must send them via e-mail (Cover letter, Resume, Photo, 3 reference letters). After that, one of their agents contacted me by phone and interviewed me briefly. She mainly asked me why I am interested to teach in Korea and what time is convenient for me to receive an interview call from SMOE. After that she sent me another e-mail with the SMOE application form with instructions that I e-mail them the completed SMOE application form, personal essay, and a copy of a lesson plan. Next she arranged my interview with SMOE. Jon was the one who called me and he was very professional with the questions. I think I was asked about 5 questions? Questions ranged from why am I interested to teach in Korea; what do I know about Korean culture; what will I do if I encounter a class with varying degrees of English level, etc. It was my first phone interview so I was pretty nervous especially when I don't get to see the interviewer's face.

But within 2 weeks, I found out from the agent that I was hired!

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions would be:

What will you do if your class has students with different English levels? How will you teach such a class?

What will you do if your student sleeps/ fight in class? How would you deal with this situation?
        Answer Question

Worked for SMOE? Contribute to the Community!