SMU (Southern Methodist University)

www.smu.edu
Profile Unclaimed

SMU (Southern Methodist University) Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

2.8

Assistant Coach Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

Overall, it was straight forward. Questionnaire, phone interview, and 3 in person interviews with different staff members who I would be working closely with. A big part was having passion for the sports, next was fit with the school and culture, next was whether I would fit with the team, and last was capability, as I was taught a ton when I got there.

Associate Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

Preliminary questions asked first before the team selects the finalist to interview on campus. The questions asked are straight forward and the time given to submit your answers was a week. Everyone is really nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions asked is you have workin in higher education.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

SMU takes an ungodly amount of time to schedule a phone interview. Then once you pass that round, you go in for an in person interview. The in person interview is a breeze if you just smile and act very confident. If you're working in Student Affairs, the people interviewing you will not be very bright. They like to do everything in groups to make it appear to be more intimidating and like they make decisions as a group. Everything in SMU Student Affairs is very collective, but you will find that it is just a facade. The boss of whatever center, department, etc. makes the decision with a huge committee or panel of people under them that serve to create the appearance that their collective analyses of the information results in the decision. In reality, they do little to nothing but have meetings and take minutes...with each meeting not improving on the previous one and the minutes looking identical with a few minute changes. Whatever boss A decides to do will happen and the committee will simply create a sense that the decision was made as a group. It's very odd.

Interview Questions
    • Describe some difficulties or negative experiences with your previous employer.   View Answer
    SMU is notoriously cheap. I recommend sticking to the salary you want. Keep in mind that SMU nickels and dimes their employees with many fees that they don't tell you about in the interview process. For example, you will have to pay for parking which will come out of your paycheck. If you enroll in a Master's Program that is actually valuable (not the MLA -- now MLS program) you will have to pay taxes which come out all at once as the administrative team is slow about deducting your paycheck. I know a woman who had her last paycheck of the year (Christmas time) be ZERO dollars because the department that deducts your paycheck for the taxes from a Master's Program does not always break it out over the year and just suddenly, without warning, take out all of the taxes due all at once. I highly recommend you looking for a job at a public university or even community college in the area if you don't get the offer you want...as you'll make much more money. Many people leave SMU to go work for UTD, as they pay better.

Finance Student Interview

The Cox School has more than a dozen specialized centers and institutes to enhance your knowledge in a focused area while networking with practitioners and leaders in the fields of energy, entrepreneurship, real estate, retailing, global markets and more.

Senior Student Financial Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) in November 2013.

Interview was pretty standard. Had a pre-screening email. After I sent in my answers, about a week later I got an email inviting me to campus for an interview. There was a group of 3 people that interviewed me. They asked me about my related experience and some behavioral questions. Nice group of people.

Interview Questions
    No negtotiation. I was aware of the salary ahead of time and that there was no room for negotiation.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) in May 2013.

No the interview process , just work hard for a year as student and pass the exam and get it

Student Clerk IV Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

It was really easy. questions like why are you fit for this position? What are your past experiences?

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

very long wait about application; 3 interviews; computer testing; took a portion of 2-3 days

Interview Questions
    • questions about future goals and dreams with no way of fulfillment as an employee of smu.   View Answer
    this is what we pay, these are the hours, this is what you are to do....yes or no?

SMU-Cox BLC School of Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) in December 2012.

I loved the person that interviewed me. The interview was pretty straight forward. Make sure you know your grammar rules!! There was only a resume submission and one interview. Sometimes this job posting slips by people, so I would email them if you are really interested in this post.

No negotiations

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) in June 2011.

It was a very good step by step process.