SNL Financial Interview Questions in Charlottesville, VA

2.5

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

After applying online I received an email from the HR Department, 2 days later, looking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very straight forward. My resume was used as an outline for conversation, pin pointing challenges and accomplishments within my job history. The compensation requirement question was asked and I gave a range between 36-42 starting, where she replied "Ok Perfect". She went over the culture and history of SNL and briefly went over the job requirements. The rememberable part of this interview was at the end where the words "that was fun" slipped out of her mouth, where she quickly corrected herself by saying "this was helpful." Later that day, I received an email asking for an onsite interview. I had the interview at SNL 4 days later on a Friday. I was seen by 3 different interviewers, and one phone interview on site. They were all fairly young men, very well spoken and very friendly. The dress code there is so casual that I felt out of place in my suit. I basically felt they were grading my ability to keep a conversation going and made sure my personality was a good fit for their casual work environment. Overall, very laid back and a very enjoyable interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 3 valuable traits that will make you successful here at SNL   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone interview. Waited a few days followed by an interview with the hiring coordinator. All went well. Was asked to write a research assignment. Not much detail was given about it except it was due a few days later. Got an e-mail a few days later that I was not selected to move forward. Overall it was a good experience. Process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is your expecting salary? (during the initial phone interview)   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position online and was contacted via email by an HR recruiter within 4 days to set up a phone interview. My interaction with the HR recruiter was pleasant and our interaction was exactly what I expected. The HR recruiter provided a high level overview of SNL's mission, culture and the position. I was then asked to summarize my professional experience and the representative follow up with a few clarifying questions. After a pleasant conversation, I was asked to move forward in the process and a phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled.

My interview with the hiring manager was not quite what I expected. Once again, I was asked to "walk through my resume". Then I was asked a few additional questions. I recall being asked to name my greatest strength simply because I was interrupted during my response and asked another question (BTW...it wasn't a long or rambling response).

There were no behavioral based questions. I wasn't asked any questions related to the skillset needed to excel in the role of account manager. There were no questions related to: client focus, relationship management, upselling/cross selling products, teamwork, adaptability or decision making.

At the conclusion of the phone interview with the hiring manager, it was explained that the HR recruiter would follow up, even if I was not selected for the next round. After one week, with no response I contacted the recruiter and was told that I was not selected to move forward.

Interview Questions

• I recall being asked to name my greatest strength simply because I was interrupted during my response and asked another question. (BTW...it wasn't a long or rambling response). I started to explain that I was self motivated and worked well independently or in a team structured environment, when I was interrupted and asked about my time management skills.

I wasn't asked any typical account management questions such as those related to: client focus, relationship management, upselling/cross selling products, teamwork, adaptability or decision making.

Answer Question

Training & Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral. With referrals, you are guaranteed a phone interview. This was conducted with a recruiter. After the phone interview, I received an email from the recruiter the next day to set up a time to come in for an interview with the manager of the department. I then received an email from the "scheduling department" to confirm the date and time with directions and instructions for the day of the interview. The directions were unclear and I had no idea what door to go in. This caused me to be late. No one mentioned it, but I was furious. Interview was simple.. They asked a lot of weird questions that seemed unnecessary.. It's been about a month since my interview. The posting has been removed and I haven't heard anything. I doubt I got the job. Even being qualified and referred by the employee previously in the position. Weird employer. Didn't really want to work there anyways.

Interview Questions

• What book have you read most recently?   1 Answer

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

It was amazingly easy and very short. That should have been a red flag right away. They have a lot of employee churn in this company--with the exception of managers, bright people usually stay only a year or two--so anyone who is minimally qualified to do the job is likely to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• When can you start? The offer was made about five minutes after I walked in.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a non-negotiable offer, but not bad pay by C'ville standards.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

Very easy. I had the job within a two weeks of submitting my resume through a former employee. There were no phone interviews, and I spent about two hours talking in person to the people I would be working with. There were no tricky questions, and I don't even remember many questions about me at all.

Negotiation

HR told me I was getting paid at the top of my band and there was no room for negotiation. Looking at glassdoor now, it appears that that was completely false.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

Campus career fair followed up by emailing their career office with resume. They followed up with a phone interview. Then I was called for an on-site 1:1 interview. All interviews were behavioral.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

For internships, negotiate only if you have a preexisting offer.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

phone interiview followed by 4 separate 1 hour interviews in office. All interviewers pretty much asked the same basic questions, with some sql questions mixed in. They were really concerned with the SQL Having clause for some reason.

It took them 5 weeks to follow up after the interview!!

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA) in May 2010.

Interview

I was contacted to have a phone interview where they mostly asked fit questions and a good amount of behavioral questions. After the 1st interview I was called into the office for more questions to ensure I was a qualified candidate. All the people there are looking for is whether or not you are a normal enough person to have a beer with. That, and don't say anything completely dumb.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SNL Financial (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2009.

Interview

Started with phone interview. Called on site. 3 ppl interviewed and was made an offer. It's a .NET shop with good product management group. High emphasis on database. Good location and very informal place. Saw ppl in shorts. Was asked basis programming questions. Salary offered was low so declined the offer.