SOTI

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at SOTI in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite long, lasted about 4 hours with VP of engineering. Tons of technical questions, brain teasers. I enjoyed this part. On the other hand negotiation phase was difficult. For the salary expectations I specified the range of 75 to 80K and got offered the low limit. As for vacation I expected 3 weeks but was told that the company policy allots only 2 weeks. I asked to compensate me lack of one week but my request was denied. I finally agreed to accept this offer although this was somewhat painful decision for a senior engineer. I hoped that I would be rewarded in other ways like healthy work environment, recognition and appreciation of my accomplishments, talented management, well-defined and well-organized software development process but I was bitterly disappointed.

Interview Question – Certain technical questions were challenging such as questions related to a capturing of a device monitor's updates.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SOTI in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by recruiter by phone.

Whole interview process took couple days and was conducted via Skype. First day I introduced myself to their team lead and was asked couple basic questions about my previous experience. In addition to that I was asked four logical questions. Even though I was not able to answer one of them properly, they liked the way I was thinking on it and they have arranged second interview.

Second interview took much longer. I was asked logical questions and they have asked questions where you need to describe basic compression algorithm (very simple), but then they ask to improve it (this one is complicated). Then they have showed me source code of 2 threads and asked me what kind of problems may occur here, obviously there were sync problems.

Then I was introduced to different team members, but they asked no difficult questions.

My last interview was with director of product development. I briefly introduced myself and then he knocked me out by one question related to thread/process synchronization.

However even though I didn't perform very well (basically I wasn't really prepared for this kind of questions set, I was more targeting the algorithms and data structures related questions), they gave me a job offer. But due to personal reasons I had to decline it.

On personal not I would like to say, even though there is some not very good feedback from previous employees on glassdoor, you better try it by yourself. Guys in Soti made very good impression on me. Their director of product development is very very nice guy, very dedicated and very inspiring.

Overall satisfaction with interview process is very good.

Interview Question – Improve compression algorithm
Find possible problems in two given threads
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Due to personal reasons.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at SOTI

Interview Details – There was single interview that lasted 3.5 hours. Mostly covered technical questions. 10% of the time we talked about my experience. I had a talk with VP of engineering and Technical Support manager.

Interview Question – Question about prisoners and poisoned wine bottles.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – normal, I specified my pay rate and got it. I wanted 3 weeks vacation but that request was declined based on the company policy.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

QA Analyst Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SOTI.

Interview Details – It was a phone interview followed by presonal interview. It was also about test cases and designing the test case . In addition to that they asked me puzzle questions and creative thinking questions.

Interview Question – They will ask you a puzzle question on the phone interview and will be more puzzle question in personal interview.
Overall tackled it

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SOTI.

Interview Details – This was through a recruiter who apparently been recruiting for them for 10 years. They appeared to be professional but did not return calls or provide updates for days

Interview Question – they did not ask any typical interview quesitons only talked about my resume   Answer Question

Technical Writer/Social Media Specialist Interview

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at SOTI.

Interview Details – I was emailed by a SOTI team member the day after I sent my cover letter and resume through an online job posting. An interview was set up a few days later, to which I showed up relatively early. When I got there, though, it seemed as if nobody knew about the interview. Another SOTI team member came to meet me briefly, and then left again. There seemed to be some confusion. I sat in the waiting area until himself and another team member arrived and brought me to an interview room. He had to leave, though, and I talked to his other team member for a while, more casually. Afterwards, she excused herself to look for him and I was left waiting alone. They both returned and asked me a few general questions. I was told I'd hear from them within two weeks, but never heard back. I also emailed the team member that had initially contacted me, but did not get a response from him either.

The entire process and interview was quite unprofessional, and poorly organized. I felt lost, sitting there alone in the waiting area, as if nobody even knew that they had someone waiting for an interview. I was left alone to wait several times throughout the interview process. It was not a positive experience by any means.

Interview Question – One of the interviewers pulled up an old article for my university's newspaper that I had written a few years earlier, and asked me what my intention was writing the article. That question was unexpected, but a very valid one.   Answer Question

Event Manager Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at SOTI in April 2013.

Interview Details – Do NOT waste your time with this company!! Their recruiting/interviewing approach is unprofessional and can take someone extremely off guard.

My Monster profile happened to be scouted by their HR coordinator and proceeded to contact me via voicemail and email for an unnamed career opportunity & inviting a "conversation" about my current goals. After reviewing the Soti website, career listings, & social media for an understanding of the company I accepted the invite to discuss my "career goals" with a return phone call.

What I anticipated to be a phone call of introductions of myself, the company & the position I was being contacted for, or maybe even perhaps to schedule an interview, turned into an interrogation phone interview with no pretence at all.

The beginning started with the very timid HR coordinator who first asked if I was seeking new opportunities. I answered also asking what is the role that they are seeking to fill, and his response seemed very unsure explaining that there are exciting opportunities growing within their marketing department and then asked that I elaborate on my background in the events industry where after 5 minutes he abruptly cut me off to interject that the business director was also on the line! Taken by surprise I said hello to him also where he then piped up and the interrogation began - no "hello" or "we like your personality so far, can we proceed with a phone interview", and the coordinator disappeared for the rest of the call.

For the next 15 minutes the business director immediately began questions one would expect in an interview, and with every answer provided - if he didn't cut me off to aggressively ask his next question, he responded in a condescending tone. And once I realized we were in an actual interview I pulled up the "Event Manager" listing from the website for reference to query if this was in fact what I was being interviewed for & asked for clarification to the requirements for PR, and graphic design duties to ensure for myself that this wasn't another company skimping on resources & looking for someone to handle three jobs under one hat. He snarkily retorted it would be in my best interest if I had the additional experience in those areas and that "the posting is out of date" they already have an Event Manager and "looking for someone to answer to him." (- mind you it was they who contacted me).

Aaahh!! So now we're getting somewhere! The drilling continued without reference to my resume and his annoyance seemed to stem around my capacity of conference/expo planning experience within North America only and not Globally. After answering this same question at least 3 times he finally stated that they attend international expos - the second and last piece of information disclosed about the role.

The salary question came last - How much would you expect your salary to be? I responded to this asking if he was in fact preparing an offer to which he belted a loud laugh and said "NO. Well how am I supposed to know what to budget if I don't know what people are asking for?" This to me indicates that there is no budget prepared for this role. As everyone knows talking salary numbers are a no-no unless there is an offer on the table-and at this point I was in an impromptu interview still with no job description provided-or even asked if I was interested in working with the company!! I answered that I trust the role will pay according to the responsibilities & open to any discussion should we reach that stage. This was not a satisfactory answer, and the question aggressively came once more with the same reasoning. This could prove they have not done the necessary research for salary standards and range for the events industry in this province (which can easily be found through HRSDC). I assume that this further annoyed him as he started to close the call stating they're in the screening process (oh now you mention!) and if I'm selected I'll be called back for an interview. WOW!! Stunned after all that I politely closed with a Thank You and he just hung up!

I've been in the event planning industry for 8+ years in entry/mid level/coordinator and manager roles. With the high tide and low tide in the events/marketing industry all planners know and believe in establishing relationships and their value BUT I should have hung up the phone after 10 minutes. Been in many job interviews where they wanted to know about my expertise, leadership roles, asked behavioural/situational questions etc. Their process is ridiculous, they share nothing about the company, and hope this review helps the next person approached.

Interview Question – Several unexpected questions for an unexpected phone interview:
Can you book flights?
What conferences have you planned? (be prepared for an objective response eluding to your abilities even if they have never heard of the conference)
When can you start?
How much would you expect your salary to be?
Are you familiar with international shipping?

Senior Software Engineer (Core Team) Interview

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SOTI in December 2012.

Interview Details – First talk was with HR where they ask you a few questions, but they really only want to know what you're asking salary is. I was asked 2 times to bring my salary down, they asked me to drop it by 10K which was ludicrous! I stuck to my target and budged a little and gave them a range. I thought this was the end of that! HR trying desperately hard to really low ball, not cool.

Then I got a phone interview (1 hour long) with the Team Manager for the core team, the call went well, we talked a bit about my resume then asked to solve logical puzzle questions and a programing related question. I just had to discuss my solution. I passed with flying colors I got called in for an in-person interview (2 hours long), again more logical puzzle to solve, and 1 coding related question on paper and another coding related question on multi-threading concept.

I was then told I solved the puzzle too slowly and that I had to come down "substantially" in my asking price (again by 10K) because the team manager was on the fence about me. Anyone can tell you, you had a hard time solving something or it took too long. He added all the people at this company did this kind of things all the time (freaking geniuses they must be). Now comes the odd twist, the manager starts to tell me only architecture and leads get the kind of pay I was asking. OK I have no problem with this, but why waste my time when you know I didn't come to the interview under this role? Also why waste most of the interview process on logical puzzle?

I've had 2 interviews with Microsoft that each went the entire day, one in Seattle with 5 people. I interviewed with Amazon the entire day and met with 5 people there. In each case I met leads and managers, I was asked to code on the white board and solve "computer science" problem. MS, Amazon interview were realistic! So I am writing my interview review in the context of past experience of two giants in the industry!

Now Soti is telling me I am too slow, I am not *even* really a Sr. developer and that I need to come down "substantially" to even be considered. That was a low-blow telling me right up I am not even Sr. Quality! I didn't take it personally, maybe the manager is interviewing for a "unicorn" developer who is freaking amazing and will work for low pay!

Be prepared to have your mind messed with after the interview and then asked to come down. Don't do it, you're going to regret making a stupid move because someone played a psyche job on you.

I am currently working as a Sr. C++ consultant for company that makes really sophisticated real-time mission-critical system where lives are at risk. The level of software development here is top-notch, code architecture is the best I've seen in my entire career, great use of modern design-patterns. So I asked and was told at Soti they don't have an Architect to guide both design and code and keep things uniform. Their code is mostly likely a mess because as I was told when I asked, everyone was free to do what they want. These guys need to get their stuff together before they start to tell interviewee they really not that good. I actually had to laugh at Soti for my experience. The role asked for C++, Server backend and Database experience, I didn't get one question asked about TCP/IP or Sockets. I didn't get asked one question about Database. I didn't get asked any question about C++, STL, Smart pointer, etc! I am sure the manager knew I knew my stuff. So instead they just wasted my time with stupid puzzles to make me feel like I was too slow!

Interview Question – 100 bottles of wine, 10 prisoners, you have 24 hours to find out which bottle has the poison. The poison can kill at most up to 24 hours. The King's party is in 24 hours, find the poisoned bottle. (I had no idea how this is suppose to make me a smart programmer at this company?, remember they didn't just want you to solve it, they wanted it solved fast under the pressure of an interview).   View Answer

Recent Position Interview

Interviewed at SOTI

Interview Details – The overall interview was very unprofessional as the HR personnel had no sense of how to conduct an interview and it felt more like an interrogation rather than an interview. My interview was for an hour or so and the HR just kept asking me about my previous team structure but he had no questions to ask about my professional experience, my areas of expertise, and responsibilities in previous roles. During the complete interview he did not have anything to share with me about their company, their products or organizational structure.
There was a second interviewer and as he was asking me some technical question (Thank God…related to my field), and at that time the HR personnel was texting on his phone. I found that very unprofessional. During the interview both of them stepped out to deal with some other stuff…another example of their unprofessionalism.
They started asking me some funny ball and fruit basket questions. I don’t get that, who can ask such funny questions during an interview? That was a peak to my disappointment, I felt like what just happened here (:.
If the representatives of a company present such bad behavior to an outsider within 1 hour of interaction, I don’t know what kind of treatment their employees are getting when they are hired.
I should have walked out of this interview after the first 10 minutes.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at SOTI in October 2010.

Interview Details – Hired during my University internship program. One on campus interview that is an hour. The interviewer explained what the company does, and talked about their vision as a company. Gave some logic questions, none technical.

1. swap 2 var, without using temp var.
2. Given 9 identical balls, with one of them heavier than the rest, find the one with least number of tries.
3. How would you test a file sync system.

Interview Question – Given 9 identical balls, with one of them heavier than the rest, find the one with least number of tries.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SOTI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SOTI interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by SOTI employees and interview candidates.